This should be headline news to help those with 1300 alternator woes

The alternator on my bike is fine but when I saw the number of articles about this item on the forum I went and bought a used one to rebuild and keep as a back up spare.
The accessing and removal of the alternator is not an issue to me and for those who think that this aspect of replacing the alternator is a job too far then think again. The biggest issue for all of us as this bike model ages is the piracy of Honda in its pricing of parts for this alternator. I'm so glad I obtained a used unit as today 24th January 2024 in the UK Honda bless them want £1964.00 for a new complete unit. The regulator retails for £415.51 and the rectifier which is very hard to find is yours for £346.96. Since these parts are the items which commonly fail it would seem to make either buying a new alternator or replacement parts financially prohibitive making the bike a scrapper. DO NOT DESPAIR.
The rotor bearings are relatively inexpensive. The rectifier can purchased from CARMO ELECTRONICS in the Netherlands, currently at just under £60. This seems to be the only source for this unit at present as all my extensive searching even on Denso has come up with nothing but £60 is better than the kick in the teeth that Honda would give you. The regulator is common to a number of Triumph alternators and can be obtained from both Carmo electronics and ELECTREX in Oxford UK also for around £60.
It IS worth taking the time to rebuild your own alternator. Do it!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I thought most of the posts about failed alternators were for the 1100, however I no longer own an ST so it is a moot point for me. I'm surprised that an aftermarket voltage regulator and rectifier cannot be adapted to this alternator. What is so special about Honda's part that precludes fitting one of these to an ST? If the OEM VRR was inside the alternator, is it possible to use an aftermarket unit outside the casing?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On my 1st ST1300 (2005), I had to replace mine. It was 3 years and a month from the day I bought it. Thank goodness, I had the extended warranty pay for it.

That was around 51K miles.

Out of five ST1300s and 398K miles, that has been the only one that I had to replace.

But, I have two or three used alternators in my parts bin! ;)

OP
OP
I thought most of the posts about failed alternators were for the 1100, however I no longer own an ST so it is a moot point for me. I'm surprised that an aftermarket voltage regulator and rectifier cannot be adapted to this alternator. What is so special about Honda's part that precludes fitting one of these to an ST? If the OEM VRR was inside the alternator, is it possible to use an aftermarket unit outside the casing?
I've looked carefully at this and the restricting factor is the dimensions of the rectifier for the inside and outside diameters determining where the mounting bolts go
. 1) It's a Denso specific fitment for an alternator which is smaller compared to a car unit. 2) the current handling capacity of the diodes to match the output - the closest
rectifier on any catalogue with an 88mm outside diameter then has the battery + post protruding out the side of the case rather than at the top. I would not be prepared to drill a hole in the side of the alternator case and also would it be possible to bolt on the cable at the side in the 'V' block. 3) There's enough electrical gubbins and wiring crammed in and around the ST and then finding a suitable mount point and the wiring to connect up. 4) It is reprehensable to make it so financially inhibitive to keep a machine in its original build layout. Regulators and rectifiers for cars are a fraction of the price and widely available but practically none of them will fit this alternator either
physically or electrically, although I am prepared to stand to be corrected if anyone knows about a fitment that I don't.

OP
OP
I thought that the ST1300 alternators were pretty reliable and very few people had to replace or fix it before the 200K.
Am I wrong here?
Thank you, however there are posts on this forum from owners who have had problems and want to repair or replace, and as one post mentioned "be prepared to be ripped off"

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just checked ebay, there are two used alternators up for sale, and two new ones. Yes, the prices are high....

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
At those prices, I’d rather buy well-used ST from police auction just for parts!

OP
OP
I see that all the great and good have started chipping in with items that suggest just getting used replacements instead of carrying out own rebuilds.
rebuilding an alternator is not in least a difficult task. Besides here in the UK there is just one trader specializing in just rebuilding these units and good second hand units
are not available in anything like the volume as they are in North America. If you're going to buy used units for parts the chances are that my own repair costs with new parts are going be considerably cheaper than buying one of those and that is the aim of the excercise. At least one respondent has seen this is the case so far.

OP
OP
TO RICK who responded to my post. Oddly your reply does not come up again on this thread on my PC but here is some more information regarding Carmo Electronics.

I found that once you have registered an account with them you can access the full parts catalogue. Some more numbers on the description details for their replacement new rectifier are 211580, and 7125164. I do not know if these are Denso references or Honda. The item is on page 241 of the catalogue.
What I'm surprised at is that the description states that the item is made in the UK by Electrex World in Oxford but it is not displayed on their own on line
parts list. Electrex World act as a collection and delivery point for items to be sent and received by Carmo! Hope this is of some help.

OP
OP
(From Somersid) I know about that refurb business on ebay UK. I've looked at his items being refurbed. I have not enquired with him directly but I wondered exactly what parts he uses if he replaces items like the regulator and rectifier. loads of respondents always come on and state why don't you use this item or that and modify where neccesary. The correct parts are available at Carmo Electronics and my rebuild has come to far less than the cost of that businesses service.
I replaced my rectifier and the bearings. The front bearing being the genuine Honda item with the retaining snap ring. The rear shaft bearing is a standard readily available one. The rectifier was £60 ish including VAT and shipping. To repeat, Honda want over £340 for the rectifier because Denso will only deal with Honda over this and not retail the part themselves. The Carmo item is made by Electrex in Oxford and is stated to an improved item and on inspection the finish of the product does look much better, and it is a direct replacement.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
TO RICK who responded to my post. Oddly your reply does not come up again on this thread on my PC but here is some more information regarding Carmo Electronics.

I found that once you have registered an account with them you can access the full parts catalogue. Some more numbers on the description details for their replacement new rectifier are 211580, and 7125164. I do not know if these are Denso references or Honda. The item is on page 241 of the catalogue.
What I'm surprised at is that the description states that the item is made in the UK by Electrex World in Oxford but it is not displayed on their own on line
parts list. Electrex World act as a collection and delivery point for items to be sent and received by Carmo! Hope this is of some help.
Is this the online part for the ST1300 rectifier?

OP
OP

[/Q ERR - That is a REGULATOR. More readily available at both Carmo and Electrex. The elusive part was the RECTIFIER which it seems only Carmo have on retail.

OP
OP

That is the REGULATOR. The part more commonly available at both Carmo and Electrex. The elusive item was the RECTIFIER which it would seem only Carmo have on retail sale.

Bike
2010 ST1300
OP
OP
I just thought I would return to this thread with an update. Having rebuilt the alternator and had sat on the garage workbench foe a few weeks I could not adequately
set it up to bench test it so I took it a local 'old school' auto electrics guy who know his stuff. The alternator was rigged up on his test machine and my alternator is pumping out a steady regulated 15volts. I have a spare fully refurbished working alternator!

Top Bottom