This Whole Counterbalancer Thing ...

Rider

V-4 Fan
Okay, I'm an STN00b. Had it for only a week. And I'm like a sponge here, reading all kinds of stuff about the bike. :)
And I've come across a few posts that mention how the counterbalancers can be adjusted. Now, with about 600 miles on my bike, I'm a long time away from having to tackle it. This thing is so smooth, I could set a shot glass on each cylinder bank full of Makers Mark and it wouldn't spill a drop at 90mph.
But my naturally curious mind has me wondering, "Hmmmmmm, how does one do that?"
How often does it have to be done?
Does it take, like, 10 minutes or all weekend?
Do you need a degree from M.I.T. to attempt it?

As I say ... no hurry on this. Just a matter of curiosity tugging at my brain. :D

Easy as drinkin' those shots off the cylinder banks, it took me twenty minutes tops the first and only time. But if your engine is that smooth, don't bother. I don't know if it helped mine, certainly didn't hurt.

OP
OP
Rider

Rider

V-4 Fan
AgSTreak said:
Easy as drinkin' those shots off the cylinder banks, it took me twenty minutes tops the first and only time. But if your engine is that smooth, don't bother. I don't know if it helped mine, certainly didn't hurt.
Sooooooooooo ... how do you do it? What's involved? :shrug2: :grin:

If you really gotta know I followed the instructions on the CalSci website at the following link. I've gotta admit, it was one of the first things I attempted after I got the ST and I feel that it empowered me. I mean, I didn't screw it up.

balancers

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
steve18 said:
How tight do the pinch bolts have to be? There is no torque setting.

Thanks,
Steve
Follow the eternal wisdom of every BMW shop manual: "Do not overtighten or leave loose."

Top Bottom