Those Multi-way connectors - Query

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1710407026560.pngThe one that I am referring to is from an ST1300, but I believe that the same type of connector is used on some 1100s.

You will have heard of the ones that I mean. A single connector is used to join together all of the earth (green) wires in one single plastic connector. Another is used for connecting the power feeds (black/white wires) for devices such as injectors, relays, coils, .......

Question - how is the connection inside the block actually made ?
  • Are all of the terminals already connected on a bus-bar
  • Or are the terminals single units which are connected by a busbar in the lid once the top part is in place.
  • Or some other method.
I've pinched this photo that @Ian posted ages ago - but only because it was the first one that I came across.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't remember the one on my ST1100. I do remember a designated ground point on the frame where several ground wires were tied with ring terminals in a bolt. Not everywhere on the frame is a good ground but there are some points specially designed for that. For many electrical farkles I installed I've used common house breaker panel ground bars, short 5-7 connector ones, to collect all the grounds to one point and connected that with a 12 ga wire to the Neg terminal on the battery directly.

Yours looks like separate pins for the wires going into it. Likely plugs into a shell with a common buss bar tying them all together. That other half would be tied to a good ground point. Also looks like one of those pins is burnt... possibly from a corrosion on the pin causing overheating and/or arcing from the diminished or partial electrical contact.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
For many electrical farkles I installed I've used common house breaker panel ground bars, short 5-7 connector ones, to collect all the grounds to one point and connected that with a 12 ga wire to the Neg terminal on the battery directly.
I like using these for that. Self insulating, compound in the holes, more than one wire per hole.

1710432557522.jpeg 1710432575430.jpeg

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
  • Or are the terminals single units which are connected by a busbar in the lid once the top part is in place.
  • Or some other method.
I. Yes common bus-bar at end. Many people have had good results with soldering individual terminals to bus-bar after thorough sanding & cleaning. Common issue and solution with CBRs and VFRs as well since these models came out decades earlier.

IMG_1644.jpeg

II. Due to corrosion, resistance increases, then heating and burning downward spiral occurs. Good solution is to cover air-space with this Deoxit compound. Removes existing corrosion, increases conductivity and seals against moisture and future corrosion.

Amazon - Deoxit

III. More permanent long-term solution is to replace it. There's other multi-way connectors available that are sealed to prevent corrosion problems Honda has.
https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1602&category_id=365

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I. Yes common bus-bar at end. Many people have had good results with soldering individual terminals to bus-bar after thorough sanding & cleaning. Common issue and solution with CBRs and VFRs as well since these models came out decades earlier.

IMG_1644.jpeg

II. Due to corrosion, resistance increases, then heating and burning downward spiral occurs. Good solution is to cover air-space with this Deoxit compound. Removes existing corrosion, increases conductivity and seals against moisture and future corrosion.

Amazon - Deoxit

III. More permanent long-term solution is to replace it. There's other multi-way connectors available that are sealed to prevent corrosion problems Honda has.
https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1602&category_id=365
@DannoXYZ me like the part from Corsa. Thanks!

The OEM Honda design gangs the wires in blocks of six and eight. Is there any reason they couldn't be joined all together using that Corsa part and option A from the busbar selections?

1710538120293.png

Should you go that route, don't forget to buy a cap for it too! https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1601

1710538191507.png

Plus plugs for the 10 unused terminal positions - OEM has 14 wires, the Sumitomo alternative has 24. https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1104&category_id=164

1710538500340.png

I like this. Looks to be a quite sanitary solution.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
The OEM Honda design gangs the wires in blocks of six and eight. Is there any reason they couldn't be joined all together using that Corsa part and option A from the busbar selections?
Answer may lie in tracing where other ends of all those goes. I suspect this is load distribution since all wires are same size. Single earth wires in 1:5 and 1:7 bundles can handle more power than 1:12. So it would be fine to use option-A and tie them all together. We'll just have 2 earth wires to chassis in that bundle.

This opens up possibilities for ground loops, but I haven’t seen that cause issues in anything other than audio or radio-frequency circuits. These are pretty much just straight DC power circuits.

IV. Another solution I found amongst Fireblade owners is to do away with connector altogether and solidly solder all wires together!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Many thanks for the replies. That is very helpful. From somewhere I got an image in my head that it was a bar in the cap that connects all terminals together, once the cap is in place. Clearly, that is not the case - which is what I wanted to find out.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
  • Or some other method
Flip the lid up and you’ll see the connecting bar. My way of fixing these is to solder a larger wire to the bar and then run that wire to the frame.

IMG_0245.jpeg

John

Top Bottom