Those Pesky BMW Dealers

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
My local BMW dealer is beginning to work on me. In the past, I have purchased my tire pressure gauge, my bright yellow Olympia Airglide Bushwacker jacket and grey pants, and just had my Autocomm headsets installed into our helmets there. This dealer has met my needs in these areas with great customer service. I am finally in the market for some "real" MC riding boots and am considering the Matrix line. The dealer has an Italian line of boots (they don't know who makes it) and he wants me to try theirs. Even more interesting, he wants me to take out an R1200RT for a ride. I cannot afford any new bike and their prices on most things are on the high side but not unreasonably so. I have felt that BMW uses their customers as the test bed for working out engineering problems more than most manufacturers yet remain somewhat arrogant about their products.I won't buy a new bike but I will continue to use them as a source of quality gear when appropriate. I really love the ST1300 and have no need to change my current ride. I am not convinced of any german superiority vs. Honda innovation and quality control. However, it is nice to have an customer oriented MC dealer to access when needed for certain accessories.

Does anyone else use their local BMW dealer for riding items even though they don't own a Beemer?

Mark-

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
You Bet Mark. I bought a pair of BMW branded winter gloves (don't know who made them) lots of reflective markings, very toasty, yet flexible for "good feel" Sorry no pictures but they are great! Marty

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Yup. Have one close by.

Bought the grips there. Their comment "nobody ever bought something that cheap in a bmw store before" :D

Also got the AST pants there. "Try em on, changing room is over there. Let me know if you want me to get another size for you. Go sit on a bike in the show room to make sure they really fit" ...

Also got some powerlet stuff there and they were pretty knowledgable and chatty about autocom stuff even though I told them I already had the system.

Much better customer service than the 3 local yamhonduki places.
They're more like "Riding pants?".. Blank stare. "Think we have a pair over there" point to the corner go back to goofing off.

They weren't too pushy about moving up to a BMW. Maybe they can just see I can't afford it:crackup

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Does anyone else use their local BMW dealer for riding items even though they don't own a Beemer?

Yes. Our local BMW dealer puts on several events a year and usually provides lunch. They even put things on sale occasionally. We find they treat us like they want us to come back. So we do. We enjoy their events and return the favor by patronizing their establishment. For example, I bought my Sidi boots from them last year.

I have test rode a couple BMW's over the years. I too am not overly impressed, especially compared to my ST1300. I have to admit the K1300S has my attention. I might look a little closer if BMW didn't have final drive issues.

Ray

OP
OP
FlexyRacer

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
Take the RT out for a ride...what the heck...
Ha Ha. You bet Marty! It is interesting that others here have the same experience with their local Beemer dealers. They must have a heck of a dealer indoctrination / orientation program for such apparent consistency in dealer performance. I am sure there are some marginal dealers out there. People are people. The Japanese dealers I've dealt with over the years don't seem to strive for that personal connection with customers. I feel "tolerated" more than appreciated by Hondakisuzya dealers.

I have my helmet back from the headset install but my wifes helmet is waiting for some new Shoei cheek pads. The dealer called me to pick up mine so I wouldn't miss any riding time. I don't have to pay till I pick up my wifes helmet. While there, a customer came in that seemed to be a regular. He wanted to buy a tank bag and wanted to see some. They showed him a couple, then told him they had a used one in the back that one of them uses that he may like. They brought it out, told him how to wash it to make it look like new, and told him he could have it for free. As I was leaving getting into my car, he was leaving the store with the used tank bag. Now, that's special. Investing in customer good will to encourage loyalty. That's smart business too.

I too have noted a huge supply of Powerlet products including adapters I will need in the future. This BMW dealer will keep me as a non-BMW customer as long as this type of customer care prevails for me. This particular dealer disputes the drive shaft issues and wants to continue discussion on this topic with me. It should prove interesting.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
AJ's Cycle Sales in Gill, Mass, is the smallest new motorcycle dealership I've ever been to. (They sell BMW and Guzzi...still have a new 2006 Goose in stock!) Story goes that the owner won't upgrade the place because if he does he has to meet BMWs current retailer standards, which would cost million$. So instead he carries on with a "showroom" that's barely got room for two bikes, new bikes that sit in crates outside (behind the building next to the bus graveyard), and a "service department" so small you have to make appointments long in advance. Still, most of my BMW friends go here because the owner turns wrenches and knows BMWs old and new, inside and out. From what I've heard, AJ's represents its customers, not BMW...what a concept!

The two other BMW dealerships I've been to -- Berkshire Motor Works in Schenectady, NY and Gengras BMW in East Hartford, CT -- are gleaming palaces with plenty of new bikes and lots of nice accessories for sale at full retail. Berkshire's sales staff was helpful, setting me up with two test rides that convinced me in 2002 that I didn't want either an LT or an RT. I looked at the F800ST at Gengras and found the sales staff decidedly high pressure. That and I've never been too keen on sales people who begin their pitch by denigrating whatever your rode or drove into their place of business.

My last motorcycle purchase was a less-than-year-old Versys that the PO decided wasn't what he wanted after all. I got a great deal on a bike with 2450 miles that was still under warranty, he got money to buy something else. It was the best motorcycle transaction I ever had, and the experience has given me much incentive to avoid buying new from a dealer again. As for accessories, NewEnough and Two Brothers offer what I need without the margin required to support a gleaming palace to sell their stuff.

OP
OP
FlexyRacer

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
AJ's Cycle Sales in Gill, Mass, is the smallest new motorcycle dealership I've ever been to. (They sell BMW and Guzzi...still have a new 2006 Goose in stock!) Story goes that the owner won't upgrade the place because if he does he has to meet BMWs current retailer standards, which would cost million$. So instead he carries on with a "showroom" that's barely got room for two bikes, new bikes that sit in crates outside (behind the building next to the bus graveyard), and a "service department" so small you have to make appointments long in advance. Still, most of my BMW friends go here because the owner turns wrenches and knows BMWs old and new, inside and out. From what I've heard, AJ's represents its customers, not BMW...what a concept!

The two other BMW dealerships I've been to -- Berkshire Motor Works in Schenectady, NY and Gengras BMW in East Hartford, CT -- are gleaming palaces with plenty of new bikes and lots of nice accessories for sale at full retail. Berkshire's sales staff was helpful, setting me up with two test rides that convinced me in 2002 that I didn't want either an LT or an RT. I looked at the F800ST at Gengras and found the sales staff decidedly high pressure. That and I've never been too keen on sales people who begin their pitch by denigrating whatever your rode or drove into their place of business.

My last motorcycle purchase was a less-than-year-old Versys that the PO decided wasn't what he wanted after all. I got a great deal on a bike with 2450 miles that was still under warranty, he got money to buy something else. It was the best motorcycle transaction I ever had, and the experience has given me much incentive to avoid buying new from a dealer again. As for accessories, NewEnough and Two Brothers offer what I need without the margin required to support a gleaming palace to sell their stuff.
I know what you mean. My last purchase was similar to yours. Money talks. So does depreciation. Local product accessibility is a nice thing too. The BMW dealer ordered my Olympia jacket for me, then sent me off to ride with it for awhile to insure I liked it. If I didn't, I could just walk away. No deposit was involved. My local Beemer dealer recently moved into a new building, however it is a relatively humble industrial park suite with room for about 10 bikes in the showroom. Their shop is large enough to serve the two local police accounts and private customers. The fact that I can try out a jacket and not have to return it via UPS to the seller if it does not fit is nice. I can try on riding boots with strange european size designations to see if they fit before ordering or buying has it's advantages if the price is right as well. After storing up a small army of farkles I will begin installing soon, there are potential inconveniences to Internet purchases at times. The last item I bought ...the shipping was more than the 2 items I bought. A person must work both sides of the fence for the best deals according to their current needs. That's what makes it fun though for me.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I used to hang out at the BMW dealer when I had my ST1100. I bought jackets, pants, rain gear, & gloves for the wife and I both. All the employees knew us by name and were very knowledgeable of all bikes. The owner would speak to everyone who walked in by name and sit around and BS with you. I was invited on rides with them. I test rode lots of bikes even though they knew I was a Honda guy and wasn't going to buy one. They were always ribbing me about it.
Then they sold out and the new owners were not so friendly. I haven't been back in a while, but I've heard that some old employees that left after the change of hands have returned. I need to stop by and see them, although I doubt I'll ever buy a Beemer. Who knows though, someday I may buy a used VFR1200T from them?

STOC #
I have dealt with a BMW dealership in Beaver Dam, WI for driving light bulbs. They were happy to sell the bulbs to me but would not honor the PIAA bulb 1 year pledge. I will deal with PIAA direct from now on. PIAA was not too happy to hear this customer service story:poPoST1:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
We were at the BMW dealer in Charlotte, NC a few weeks ago,,,,just looking. Very nice people,,,,the even agreed with me that "You don't have a bike in here that has as smooth a powerplant as my ST1300 out in the parking lot". Sat on an RT. Different, nice. Sat on a 1200GSA, dauummm thats some wide handlebars...do I want an RT? GSA? No I don't. Still, lots of nice bikes, good time to chat, and they had sitting in the parking lot something I wish I could justify buying: A brand new Triumph Tiger.....man what a nice bike...

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT
The first Autocom group buy put on for this site, was hosted by my local BMW dealership.

That dealership then started doing tire changes for my ST ... then basic service that I didn't have time/patience for (when the local Honda dealers thought my ST1300 *was* a BMW and couldn't get the basic service done right themselves), and finally they moved me off that ST and on to an RT.

Use 'em for what you need 'em for. If it's just gear, great. Most I've found to not be terribly pushy on their bikes, but if they have a reason to let you take one for a spin they'll offer it up. Can't fault 'em for that, but they're also mainly just motorcycle enthusiasts themselves, from my experience.

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT
The closest BMW dealer to me is Dallas? 300 some odd miles to the east
I think there is one in Austin also 300 and some odd miles South..
North I think the one in Lubbock folded, Maybe one in OK, not sure,,
I have almost pulled the trigger on a BMW GS 1150 and the 1200 but with a dealer so far off I backed out....
I know what you mean Mike, but Lonestar down in Austin is a superb dealership ... one of the best in the country.

Still, if it broke down, it'd suck to have to trailer 300 miles just to get it looked at.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I do also, go to the dealer and try it on and then go to amazon or newenough.com to buy it. My local dealer is outrageous and unwilling to deal on prices.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
Lets see,,it starts with an R and ends with GSA. What did I win?:popcorn
Your Correct! And your prize is "Free Air for Life" for both your front and back tires! I'm looking at a 2010 R1200GS Adventure. I'll put Jesse Safari Boxes on it and probably a Sargent Seat. I'm looking for an SUV type of motorcycle. The GSA should be capable of taking me anywhere I want to go. I usually carry a lot of stuff with me, just ask VFR Larry!

Alicia

Top Bottom