thoughts on heated seat?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I'm thinking about buying a Sargent seat for my bike. Heated grips are a must for me. What are your experiences with heated seats? Worth the extra $200?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
On most bikes they are a nice add - not as useful as heated grips, but handy on occasion. But the ST (like my BMW K1100) has an engine-heated seat and I can't imagine hollering down to the engine room for "Mo' heat!"

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Definitely . . . yes!

I asked myself the same question when I had Sargent make a custom seat for me and asked if I wanted it. I decided I might as well go ahead and get it, although I'd probably never use it. Ha!

When you start out on a chilly morning (anywhere in the 50s or lower for sure) or ride past sunset and the temps start to fall, having a heated seat makes stopping to add a layer for comfort, or just grinning and bearing it unnecessary.

Some major arteries run through your butt and thighs which the seat heats. That warmed blood then circulates keeping your core, extremities and, most importantly, your neck and head . . . comfortably warm! Coupled with a pair of heated grips a bearable ride turns into just another fun ride! :)

Shuey

PS: On my STs (3) on chilly mornings I'd press my legs into the bike using the bike heat to warm my calves which helped, but I never really noticed any comfort from a bike warmed seat. On warm days, I moved my legs a little out from the bike so fresh air could get between me and the bike and was comfortable. Although I noted that for many on this site heat was a noted issue with their ST riding comfort, I never thought it was. Different strokes . . . different folks.

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
On most bikes they are a nice add - not as useful as heated grips, but handy on occasion. But the ST (like my BMW K1100) has an engine-heated seat and I can't imagine hollering down to the engine room for "Mo' heat!"
My r1100rt has the heat vents that blow through the oil cooler onto my arms. Really nice until I forget to turn them off when it's 80.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Simply, yes. You might forget your heated jacket butt you won't forget your heated seat.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My Dutch coworker use to poo poo heated seats until he purchased a retired ST-P with a heated Corbin. Now he sings it’s praises.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'd go for the heated seat, but only after a heated jacket liner, gloves and grips.

OP
OP
drtyrrel
Bike
2010 ST-1300
"When you start out on a chilly morning (anywhere in the 50s or lower for sure) or ride past sunset and the temps start to fall, having a heated seat makes stopping to add a layer for comfort, or just grinning and bearing it unnecessary."

50 degrees is a nice day around here:rolleyes:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
For the climate that you and I ride in (Toronto and upstate New York), I would say "for sure" get the heated seat. It makes a huge difference during cool weather. It's not a substitute for heated clothing, but it is a very effective compliment. It's also a nice luxury to have on cool mornings or evenings.

Michael

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Yes. I have a heated leather Corbin on my ST, and a heated and cooled Corbin leather seat on my HD.
Wretched excess, but promotes comfort.
Plus, I will never own another car without heated seats.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The corbin saddle on my ST13 engine heats very nicely. And it has a very heavy fiberglass pan, c/w a layer of reflectix to insulate the bottom. It is pretty comfortable on cool days,, so I would say that I would not pay the extra for a heated seat on this bike,,, imho,, Cat'

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Back in 2014 I picked up a heated RDL saddle set. Although I have never used the back saddle, I use the front saddle for my commutes. During the cold weather months (from Nov-Dec to about mid May), I use that heated saddle anytime it gets below 50F and this year it was used a lot!

About two weeks ago I removed my heated controller, but there have been a couple of days that having a heated saddle would have been nice, at least for the first 15 miles, until things are warmed up anyway! :thumb:

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I agree with the above comments. I thought of them as an extravagant luxury until I got one. What I found is it is great for those marginal days when its not cold enough to justify heated gear, which we get a lot of here in the Pacific Northwest. With a heated seat and grips I can ride an hour in 40 degree temperatures and be comfortable. And like grips, its always on the bike available to use, just flip the switch.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Definitely worth it in my book, especially if you do any riding at all in chilly weather.

John

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't think I've ever suffered a cold Arris. Hands yes, Neck yes, Arris no.
Upt'North.
You fair weather nancy! :nanner1: Call yourself a northern biker?!?!

I don't yet have a heated seat, but the bike has grips and I have a heated waistcoat. I rode last winter in -6C, and the heated kit was wonderful. For next winter, a heated seat is on my shopping list.

Bike
VStrom 650
You fair weather nancy! :nanner1: Call yourself a northern biker?!?!

I don't yet have a heated seat, but the bike has grips and I have a heated waistcoat. I rode last winter in -6C, and the heated kit was wonderful. For next winter, a heated seat is on my shopping list.
So you've got more heated gear than I've got in my house and I'm the Nancy :think1:.
I've got about 15 years of British winter's under my belt and even on the service bikes we never had heated anything including grips. This wasn't the commute into work but all day riding, like all day, all weather's, all jobs, yes it was cold on occasions but let me think.........no never a cold Arris. But then again it was only minus temps all day, snow, ice, winds, sideways rain.
My one concession to the cold was putting my socks in the microwave before going out after snappin.
Whose the nance now.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
Top Bottom