Throttle Lock Advice

Does anyone have advice on Throttle Lock cruise control devices for my new to me ‘03 ST1300? what kind do you use? How do you like it?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My best experience with a non-electronic device to hold a set speed is with the simple plastic $20 Go Cruise. Pressed with the forefinger against the brake lever, it holds a minimum speed the bike will not go below. When encountering an uphill grade you can roll on a little throttle to hold a speed and when you top the hill you release the extra throttle and the bike settles back down to the previously selected speed. It's design takes half the minute adjustments that a friction lock requires.

One time I bought the $30 metal Go Cruise but it's thicker and the thumb wheel used to adjust clamping force bothered my hand.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My bike came with a throttlemeister - now out of production. I use a Go Cruise type (mine is aluminum) on my VStrom, and have found it is mostly useful on interstates, and I tend not to use it much on two lane State routes. A CC is for droning along, and that does not happen if there is traffic, lots of hills and curves.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have an inexpensive Vista Cruise lock on my ST1100 and a Breakaway lock on my ST1300. Both work fine on relatively flat road stretches. On hilly roads they require frequent adjustment.
1622381758493.png1622381895040.png

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I like the Kuryakyn Throttle assist and the matching bar end weight. The pair are expensive but easy to install and use, and looks great.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I also had a Vista Cruse before I put on a Rostra cruse control when I had my ST. You have to cut off the tabs on the Vista Cruse and screw it into the throttle housing for it to work right. Put a flat washer to two between the cruse base and the throttle housing. That or just play with how tight you tighten the screw down so you still get movement of the throttle.

P4210054.JPG

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I use a Go-Cruise "nut-cracker" style unit and a Cramp Buster on all of my bikes as I am very prone to hand cramps.

I find the Cramp Buster (it goes by many names and usually costs between $5 and $15) to be remarkably effective at reducing hand stress and they are not at all expensive. I usually buy two of them at a time in case one gets swiped in a parking lot - but this has never actually happened.

throttle-rocker-i-cruise-assist-black.jpg
I also found on the ST1300 that it has so much torque and power that it really didn't require much adjustment on the highway - even going up moderate hills. On steeper hills, I found that I needed to pay close attention to other traffic and road conditions and so I would never have used an actual electronic "cruise control".

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My best experience with a non-electronic device to hold a set speed is with the simple plastic $20 Go Cruise. Pressed with the forefinger against the brake lever, it holds a minimum speed the bike will not go below. When encountering an uphill grade you can roll on a little throttle to hold a speed and when you top the hill you release the extra throttle and the bike settles back down to the previously selected speed. It's design takes half the minute adjustments that a friction lock requires.
I second everything dduelin said but prefer the aluminum Go Cruise 2.

Either version offers the same benefits though I admit the plastic version is cheaper. I've used Vista Cruise and NEP on other bikes and was going to use a Vista on the ST. It required some slight modding so I was slow to decide on it. Then I spotted the GC2 at a bike show and it was $20 show price. It's easily installed and fits almost (surely there may be an exception) and is easily transferrable.

I found engaging it with my finger to be more efficient/faster than the Vista with my thumb. Disengaging can be done with a thumb on the tab or merely rolling off the throttle.

But the bit that sets it apart from other throttle locks is as Dave mentioned— the ability to roll on throttle for whatever reason and let it return to your previous setting without engaging it again. Twist it for along as you need and then relax and let it go to your set speed similarly to an actual cruise control.

And as MaxPete does I use a Cramp Buster with it too. These obviate an electronic actual cruise control for my use. If I had a bike with a factory cruise control I'd use it sure. But I've no need or desire to add one to my bike.

There are a few threads here where most of us have said the same thing a few times for our particular preferences.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Used the simple Vista Cruise style for 40 years. Simple and tuneable. T

Used the simple Vista Cruise style for 40 years. Simple and tuneable. T
Hi, can you tell me what model of Cruise Vista did you used and what modifications did you have to do to it?
I send a message to a seller about the Cruise Vista and he said it will fit any 7/8"handlebar.
Is the st1300 7/8"\?
I ride an O6 like you.
Thanks in advance.
Pedro

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hi, can you tell me what model of Cruise Vista did you used and what modifications did you have to do to it?
I send a message to a seller about the Cruise Vista and he said it will fit any 7/8"handlebar.
Is the st1300 7/8"\?
I ride an O6 like you.
Thanks in advance.
Pedro
On the one I have, the tab that indexes between the throttle cables was not a tight fit. I modified with a small section of a black abs plumbing pipe. The radius of the pipe piece matched the curve on the under side of the throttle and I cut it to fit with no slop. Now when I engage the lock it doesn't have any play and holds that position.
Busy right now but can send pics later.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks for your help, yes a pic will help me to do the corrections for proper installation:thumb:.
Ok. Did my best. What I added was more material to the tang that is suppose to go between the throttle cables. But I positioned the thumb lever where It is suppose to go by adding material to the tang so it sat right against the body of the throttle housing.
Two pics, one from each side. Hope that helps.
ToddIMG_20210605_102606.jpg
IMG_20210605_102753.jpg
IMG_20210605_103333.jpg

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I've only had a couple but like the Kaoko the best. However it's on the pricier side. None of them are as good as cruise control.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think it was SupraSabre who just cut the locating tab off and put a small screw through the remaining bit of tab to secure it. Were I use a Vista Cruise that's how I'd roll.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I have an inexpensive Vista Cruise lock on my ST1100 and a Breakaway lock on my ST1300. Both work fine on relatively flat road stretches. On hilly roads they require frequent adjustment.
1622381758493.png1622381895040.png
I have the BrakeAway on one of my other motorcycles, as my ST1300 has MCCruise installed which is really good.

I like the BrakeAway because it is beautifully made, operates smoothly, and is fast to disengage using a button or by touching the front brake lever. The downsides are that is expensive (to me at least) at around $180 and was a little bit fiddly to install.

Top Bottom