Throttle lock.

Bike
2015 ST1300 Pan
Just a thought, my old BMW K1100LT had a throttle friction lock fitted as standard, it was literally just a thumb screw in the right hand switch gear that when you tightened it up it pushed a plastic pad onto the throttle cable groove, it just held the throttle where you put it but could easily be shut if needed.
It would work sort of like the O ring but adjustable, less friction to assist holding it open or more to hold it on its own.
Has anyone looked into if it's possible to add one to the switch gear on the 1300, tempted to buy a cheap switch off the bay and try adding one.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a thought, my old BMW K1100LT had a throttle friction lock fitted as standard, it was literally just a thumb screw in the right hand switch gear that when you tightened it up it pushed a plastic pad onto the throttle cable groove, it just held the throttle where you put it but could easily be shut if needed.
It would work sort of like the O ring but adjustable, less friction to assist holding it open or more to hold it on its own.
Has anyone looked into if it's possible to add one to the switch gear on the 1300, tempted to buy a cheap switch off the bay and try adding one.
I had the same rig on my R100 but for the same purpose a simple $20 Go Cruise installs in seconds and does a more purposeful job. Instead of holding the throttle in one position like a common friction lock the GC sets a minimum floor speed that it won’t go below while still allowing to roll on a little gas for hills or passing a slower vehicle. After the need to roll on a little just let it settle back to the previous speed.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've tried pretty much all of them - including the old Caterpillar O-ring - and Go-Cruise is the best option IMHO.
I've got MCCruise electronic cruise control on all of my ST1100s but I still carry a Go-Cruise as 'backup' and a Caterpillar O-Ring on long trips. :biggrin:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Zip ties work in pinch too!

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I've got MCCruise electronic cruise control on all of my ST1100s but I still carry a Go-Cruise as 'backup' and a Caterpillar O-Ring on long trips. :biggrin:
Holy cow, I just installed an MCCruise on my buddy's Africa Twin. 1/3 the plastic to remove and it still took the better part of two days to do it up right. Sure, the next three would be faster, but still..

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Holy cow, I just installed an MCCruise on my buddy's Africa Twin. 1/3 the plastic to remove and it still took the better part of two days to do it up right. Sure, the next three would be faster, but still..
My first took me all day on a ST1100.
The second one was about a half day.
The third one was a few hours.
The fourth one was even quicker.
Once you understand what goes where, it's a pretty quick process once you 'skin' the bike. :biggrin:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
and Go-Cruise is the best option IMHO.
I gotta agree. A Vista-Cruise has prevously adorned all my bikes and it worked very well. Then it came time to put one on my ST and it would need a touch of cobbling to work- NBD. I saw all the accolades here of everybody's fave.

At the last MC show to grace San Mateo (so some years back) I saw this Go-Cruise that had been talked about and it was available for a show price.

The thing is a marvel of minimalist engineering and efficiency. It can be activated and deactivated with a finger or a thumb with no need for both.

As has been stated many times in many threads of the same subject it has an advantage that none of the other throttle locks have. Once set a rider can accelerate for passing or ascending a hill as though the lock weren't engaged. After said maneuver(s) is/are accomplished just release your grip on the throttle and it goes right back to the position selected – no need to reengage.

That is so intuitive I didn't realize I was doing it until that feature was pointed out awhile back by dduelin– Holy moly he's spot on! It's that slick.

Of course in an emergency you can roll the throttle off with no interference from the Go-Cruise just like most if not every other throttle lock.

Everybody has their preference and that's certainly not up for arguement. You like what you like. In a head-to-head side-by-side objective scientific comparison subject to peer review though– there isn't a more efficient versatile throttle lock made. At least at this point.

Granted the efficiency delta isn't huge and maybe not even noticed or appreciated by many/most. But I love mine and it can be transferred to another bike in 2.5 heartbeats or 1.75 NY minutes. And it's certainly inexpensive enough that affording say– four for four bikes is no financial hardship. :D

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

OP
OP
RobWheatley
Bike
2015 ST1300 Pan
So having had a look around at the different options I have ordered the Brake-Away CC from the US, definitely not the cheapest option but it looks to be the most user friendly one with the release cam for the brake lever and it looks really well made.
Price worked out at $252 shipped 3-5 working days.
Look forward to fitting it and trying it out.

Yup. I love mine when i get a chance to use it. Too many 4 legged critters on the road this time of year to take your attention away.

Top Bottom