Throttle Return

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I recently fired the bike up after a three month "vacation".
Maybe it's me, but I believe that the throttle returned prior to leaving.
Now it doesn't seem to "spring back"....the throttle stays in the position I put it, much as if the VistaCruise was engaged.
I have checked that the grip was not interfering with the bar end and that the VistaCruise was loose and operating freely.
I opened the switch to make sure that it hadn't been taken over by spiders or other insects. While there, I inspected the cable ends and fit into the throttle tube....all good, no fraying or rust visible.

Any good thoughts?

TIA

This spring I had mine apart at the throttle tube and lubed the cables while apart and it is good as new! Try lubing your throttle cable and you should be good to go!!

Remove the grip assembly from the bar, clean the inside of the plastic tube, clean the bar too. Sometimes dirt and grease on the bar can turn into a stiff goo preventing the grip to bind

Hi Rich:

If the cables are adjusted too tightly, you will have exactly the problem you have described. There should be about 2 to 6 mm (bit less than 1/8 of an inch to about 1/4 of an inch) of backlash in the throttle cable system, by this I mean when the right handgrip is at the idle position, there should be some "slop" in the system - a null zone where you can wiggle the right handgrip a wee bit and nothing happens.

An adjustment can be made to one of the two Bowden cables coming out of the right handgrip to allow you to set the desired amount of backlash. I have found that 2 to 3 mm works best.

In a worst-case situation, you might have to make an adjustment at the other end of the cables, down at the bellcrank in the carburetor assembly - but most often, sufficient free play can be achieved by adjusting the tensioner where the cable exits the right handgrip.

Michael

Last edited:
At this point I’d look at the other end of the return cable to see if there’s something impeding the bellcrank spring. Our cables do not need lubrication, IMHO.

John

Last edited:
Here's progress so far: I used a QTip to swap WD 40 onto the cables at the bar end....they were pretty clean.
I have determined that there was no rub between the grip and bar end weight, nor the VistaCruise on either side. Also have determined that VistaCruise is plenty loose on the throttle sleeve.
Things seem better, a little.
Today I will pull the bar end weight and squirt WD 40 between the bar and the throttle sleeve.
I'll test ride it for a couple hundred miles....
Thanks for the good ideas!
BTW, is the "bellcrank" somewhere that I might find it?

At this point I’d look at the other end of the return cable to see if there’s something impeding the bellcrank spring. Our cables do not need lubrication, IMHO.
JOHN
But if you don't lube your throttle cables with the proper mixture of the correct moly paste and appropriate weight of synthetic diesel oil,
your hair will turn white and catch on fire at some point … :eek:

I saw it on the Internet so it has to be true! :biggrin:

Here's progress so far: I used a QTip to swap WD 40 onto the cables at the bar end....they were pretty clean.
I have determined that there was no rub between the grip and bar end weight, nor the VistaCruise on either side. Also have determined that VistaCruise is plenty loose on the throttle sleeve.
Things seem better, a little.
Today I will pull the bar end weight and squirt WD 40 between the bar and the throttle sleeve.
I'll test ride it for a couple hundred miles....
Thanks for the good ideas!
BTW, is the "bellcrank" somewhere that I might find it?

WD40 IS a bad choice to squirt between the bar and throttle sleeve. It WILL cause throttle sleeve to deteriate quickly and seriously cause throttle sleeve to NOT rotate freely. Also, look on engine top, left side where throttle cable housing is held secure with a housing hold-down. If that hold-down works loose, just the housing will move and not the cable itself. Again, BTDT in both cases, and will definitely cause throttle issues:(.

Back
Top Bottom