Throttle Tamer and Adjustable Clutch lever

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Just installed the G2 Throttle Tamer: Throttle Snatch BE GONE! | G2 Street Throttle Tamer for Honda! (g2ergo.com)

And the adjustable clutch lever from the Blackbird: Honda 53180-MEJ-016 - HANDLE LEVER | Partzilla.com

The throttle tamer is awesome - really helps with slow speed control of the throttle. It's a quality product as well. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the install.

The adjustable clutch lever is awesome as well - it fits perfectly on the bike. Not sure why Honda didn't just include this originally! I actually have it adjusted all the way in and I though it would go a little further but it will work. Looks OEM/stock and matches the brake lever too.

Thanks to the people on this forum for the suggestions. A couple of easy mods that make the bike that much better.

Jim :)

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting.
Of all the farkles and gewgaws and geehawwhimmydiddles I've added or considered adding to my 1300, neither of those have raised an eyebrow or crossed my radar or my consideration.
Enjoy!!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While the G2 throttle tamer allows the rider to be smoother, and is a great addition to these bikes, the adjustable clutch lever is questionable for a couple reasons.
Rumor has it that Honda didn’t use one on the ST because it was a bike that may be used for police use.
When set close to the grip as you have done, it does not allow leverage/control as the standard lever shape and design does.
It also may not put as much pressure on the clutch pack etc.
When your fingers are close to a fist position, you don’t have the control or leverage as well.
When the new wings were first coming out, and folks were having transmission and shifting issues, they always found the levers adjusted in close, when they moved the adjustments out, the shifting issues often went away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VetteJim

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I will have to check the starting in gear with clutch pulled in at the setting I have. Although I will say it's not much closer than the stock lever.

thanks

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
adjustable clutch lever is questionable for a couple reasons.
I put the adjustable clutch lever on,,, because I got it in a parts bundle purchase. I too thought it would be cool,,, but found that at it's lowest position, it has nearly exactly the same geometry as the stock lever. And one would have giant paws to want it in a more open position. So no advantage for me anyway,,,,, save your money,,, CAt'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got a G2 and a modified clutch lever on my ST and they both made riding a lot more enjoyable. Years past I've never liked the friction point of Honda's hydraulic clutches being so far out. When I got the ST with occasional bouts of a touch of arthritis it's been barely tolerable. The adjustable lever improved my riding experience significantly.

It is possible with an adjustable lever to bring the friction point too close to the bar. Maybe this could result in not fully disengaging the clutch. What it did or didn't do for me was actual the clutch microswitch which then affected starting options. So I moved it out a little and Bob's your uncle.

And the adjustable clutch lever from the Blackbird: Honda 53180-MEJ-016 - HANDLE LEVER | Partzilla.com
This might be a better fit than my modded third-party 'Wing lever. The beauty of that lever was its wider surface area easing the pressure on my hand and I might miss that.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I actually prefer the clutch release / engagement point farther from the grip.
This facilitates control over the friction zone and slipping the clutch AND actually shifting, as I like to preload the shifter and just barely engage the clutch for quick, effortless and very smooth upshifts.
I also practice low speed control with feet-up stops, and sneaking up slowly on red lights while waiting for them to turn to the proper color.
That being GREEN, of course, but I resist if I'm in heavy traffic. The cagers simply cannot grasp the point of the exercise, and can quickly become annoyed.

Top Bottom