Throttle Wrist

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Thanks. It appears no one makes one that will work with throttle by wire. Plus, I have a McCruise unit installed which may further muck up my chances. I have reached out to Inoveli to see if they do or know someone who does.

Greg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since you already have a MCCruise, you might reach out to them and see they have any options like that that might work with their CIU unit.
**Just thinking, if you wanted to 'sacrifice' the cruise control, you could replace the cable that goes to the actuator with a custom cable that goes to a push/pull lever on the left hand side - in theory! ;)

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Another possible option are different bars that change the angle of your wrists... not sure if it would be enough.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Since you already have a MCCruise, you might reach out to them and see they have any options like that that might work with their CIU unit.
**Just thinking, if you wanted to 'sacrifice' the cruise control, you could replace the cable that goes to the actuator with a custom cable that goes to a push/pull lever on the left hand side - in theory! ;)
There is a physical cable that must then trigger the electrical impulse to control the speed. Kevin_56 did not believe that it’s throttle by wire when he came to help, meaning do, the install after he saw the cable. I will contact McCruise to see if trying to install the unit would mess up the cruise. That’s beyond my pay grade. Many thanks to you and Joe for your ideas. I ain’t given up yet.

Greg

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
There is a physical cable that must then trigger the electrical impulse to control the speed. Kevin_56 did not believe that it’s throttle by wire when he came to help, meaning do, the install after he saw the cable. I will contact McCruise to see if trying to install the unit would mess up the cruise. That’s beyond my pay grade. Many thanks to you and Joe for your ideas. I ain’t given up yet.

Greg
Yep, I assumed throttle by wire meant electrical wiring from the twist grip to a control module. On the FJ that Greg has, a physical throttle cable goes to a control box that then electronically controls the throttle bodies. I guess I am not too old to learn.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I may have missed its mention but a quarter-turn throttle might help - needing less wrist motion to effect speed change. The downside is that very minor movements of the throttle will affect speed control possibly at an inopportune moment. Some practice would be required.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I may have missed its mention but a quarter-turn throttle might help - needing less wrist motion to effect speed change. The downside is that very minor movements of the throttle will affect speed control possibly at an inopportune moment. Some practice would be required.
Also, due to physics, the effort required to twist the throttle will increase.

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
I have had issues with a reattached Achilles tendon but some previously illegal medications , and only to sleep, allowed me to complete a 5,600 mile journey with 3 great riders last summer. I developed some right wrist pain and thought it was carpal. Nope, bone on bone Osteoarthritis. The pain increases all the time. I'm having a wrist fusion on Monday. The doctor rode in his younger days and will fuse it at a slightly greater angle to, hopefully, assist with throttle twisting. Anyone have experience with this and my future with riding? No matter what, you ain't rid of me yet. Bob Donaldson and I talked a few times that our last ride to events would not be a trike but a Miata or similar vehicle. See you soon.

Greg
Check the feasability of a thumb throttle like Moose Racing offers - https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/control-brakes/throttles/moose-racing-thumb-throttle/p/58186?m=156975

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks! Another to research. Surgery went well. Never had a full arm nerve block. Was like I had a 50 pound dead weight hanging from my shoulder.

Greg
Yeppers, those are pretty 'interesting' but you are sure glad you have them right after surgery.
As a wise doc told me one time - 'You don't have to get one, but you will wish you did about an hour after the surgery is done' so I took his advice! :biggrin:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If it is just the right wrist. then swap the controls. Put the throttle and brake on the left and the clutch on the right.
You will have to reverse the throttle cable so that it twists in the correct direction.
It would take reprogramming the brain to twist the clutch side....
do not know if it could be done with your bike but it might be another option.

also consider DCT as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obo

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks! Another to research. Surgery went well. Never had a full arm nerve block. Was like I had a 50 pound dead weight hanging from my shoulder.

Greg
Now that you had your wrist fused.....if you get shocked by static electricity....will you have to replace the fuse!!?? :biggrin: Russ.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Just a little post-op update. The pain, except for incisions and carpentry work, is gone. When you have bone on bone rubbing, they first make room by shaving the bone. I'm quite certain they used a Menards angle grinder. Then they yank them apart and screw in a 5 inch plate to keep them apart. The plate was on sale at Home Depot in the picture hanging section. 8 screws are used to keep it in place. They are all at odd angles, supposedly for strength. If one starts to pull out, the others are not affected by the same torque angle. I ain't buying it. I can't drive a screw straight either. Just own up to it, doc. I have a brace on it for quite a few weeks. Not sure as yet about throttle twisting. Good thing my PA daughter said it would all turn purple or I'd a thought it was about to fall off.

Greg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Man I hope the challenge is not too great you cannot overcome it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a little post-op update. The pain, except for incisions and carpentry work, is gone. When you have bone on bone rubbing, they first make room by shaving the bone. I'm quite certain they used a Menards angle grinder. Then they yank them apart and screw in a 5 inch plate to keep them apart. The plate was on sale at Home Depot in the picture hanging section. 8 screws are used to keep it in place. They are all at odd angles, supposedly for strength. If one starts to pull out, the others are not affected by the same torque angle. I ain't buying it. I can't drive a screw straight either. Just own up to it, doc. I have a brace on it for quite a few weeks. Not sure as yet about throttle twisting. Good thing my PA daughter said it would all turn purple or I'd a thought it was about to fall off.

Greg
Greg - I think that some of the ortho tools are just stainless steel versions of what we have in our workshop ... ;)

Bike
2009 ST1300
I think the big deal is to save / preserve the hand; you dont need a wrist so much as everything down stream of that, look after the big picture first, I mean you might never be again the foosball player you thought you were, but time heals all

Top Bottom