Thumb/Wrist injury-anyone else have this?

If you experienced this, how was it treated, did you heal back to normal?

I was clearing some timber, and I think a heavy log overextended my left thumb, Now I have reduced motion in my thumb, and severe pain through the wrist if I try to extend my thumb.

Heres more detail- If you hold your hand out and spread out your fingers, like you are saying "5" with your hand, I get a pain from the base of my thumb-very near the wrist-through the wrist and into my forearm, and I cannot fully pull my thumb out away from the rest of my hand. There is a ligament or tendon or something that is very tender-going through the area that is along the inside of the wrist. Kind of near the letter "M" in the lower right of this diagram....

For a week I've tried Ice, Imobilizing it, ibuprophen, but it is not getting much better. Is there a Doctor in the house? I'm currently unemployed and uninsured, so trying to avoid seeing the DR if possible.

Attachments

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Just a suggestion --don't fool with this! Go to a County facility, if need be. Call and speak with the admitting staff of a clininc or hospital to let them know that you are low on funds. They must provide a certain amount of work for free (pro bono). In short, get your hand looked-over.

Best wishes on this.

Marshal

freeSTyle

freeSTyle Don
STOC #
I`m no Dr.,but sounds like you may have an injury to the navicular (m/p). I fractured mine a few years ago on a dirtbike. Like you I was`hestitant`to see a Dr.and actually had a couple of fractured fingers as well.Until then,I had never heard of this bone,but as explained to me"the worst bone to fracture"as it is slow to heal.........or never!" It seems basketball players have these injuries quite often. Not my intent to alarm you,but you should get it checked out.

Don

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I'm no Doctor, but I played one when I was 6 years old. My speciality was gynecology, but I do know enough about the hand to tell you to get it checked out by a hand guy.

More info is needed on the injury. Did you injure it while lifting? Did a log roll across it? I am trying to get at whether it was an impact injury, which could be a break, or was a lifting injury, which is usually tendon or muscle related, but could be stress fracture. Any black and blue areas?

If it was impact, I strongly suggest you see a doc. The level of damage to a bone structure can't be guessed at by us, especially since we're not there, can't examine you. If the injury is tendon or muscle, it will probably heal, given time. Strains and sprains can be very painful, and take time. Since it has been a week, try alternating with hot packs and cold packs. GENTLY stretch the tendons/ muscles. If there is sharp pain, stop, it needs more time (only you can define "sharp", but if it seems way out there on the pain scale, it's sharp). If massage does not cause pain, try that.

If you really are strapped, and you think it is a break, then immobilizing it woud be the best thing for a week. You could make a splint and wrap loosely with an ace bandage. This is absolutely a last resort approach, though.

Here's some links to online medical sites. These don't replace a doc, but can give you some basic insights. definitely worth the time.

http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/byname/Hand--Fracture-and-Dislocations--Metacarpal.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ball91au/phlinks/dirs.htm

Good luck,
Mike

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I know it's a long shot, but if you're close to a university with a medical program, perhaps they'd look at it as well.

Good luck, Ribs. Not good to have something like this happening just as riding season starts! (Of course you've probably been thinking of that since the accident, huh??)

John

OP
OP
RibsST1300
Hey all,
It s not an impact injury, it just started hurting after a day of picking up heavy logs and throwing them in a truck.
Not black and blue-maybe very minor discoloration around inside of wrist(I mean in line with the thumb) but it's really hard to tell.
Very slight swelling in general in the area of pain.

The thumb can close and grasp very tight with no real discomfort-it's the opening up the thumb that gets me-it sends a sharp pain through the wrist area, kind of a combination pain-if you mix a funny bone whack with a hot knife pain, thats what it feels like.

I also get the pain sometimes by roatating my arm/wrist-even without opeing the thumb...

I'm going to rey a few more days of ice, and try adding heat, and keep it's use to a minimum-I did buy an imobilzier.

It's tough being one handed-I am repainting my house right handed(I am left handed) and live on a lake and the fish are biting!

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
hopefully its not a fracture or something extensive and you just hyperextended your ligament in that area, since you still have grasp. However when you hyperextend it can take a few months for the ligament to heal and you will feel that pain which can shoot up your arm, even around your wrist in this area (all these nerves come together in the carpel area, there is a band that holds these nerves together) when you extend your thumb out it is tugging on the band possibly causing the pain. Since you are unable to go to the Doc, you are doing the next best thing by taking ibuphrophen, and heat/ice therapy as needed, be sure not to leave ice or heat on no more than 20 min. at a time as this may cause damage to the skin. Finger exercise..touch each finger with thumb, going back and forth this can help the ligament/tendon. Next thing if at all possible...go to the walk-in clinic they can take an xray (call 1st to see if they have equipment)....good luck.
Jeannette, L.P.N.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I was in a motorcycle accident and both my thumbs were hyperextended. Gripping the handlebars upon impact pushed my thumbs back too far. I had x rays, saw a couple physicians. They kept tellling me I had nothing wrong. It took a good year and a half before they felt like normal. I work with my hands, and thought for awhile I would have to find a new way to make a living. I feel for you. Do the community hospital thing and make sure to get it looked at. Good luck and be patient...it will take awhile..

Top Bottom