Tiger 800 test ride

Bike
99 ST1100
Got a chance to test ride a Tiger 800 yesterday.

With my years of experience (2) and many, many bikes ridden - about 1/2 dozen - I'm not going to get too technical, All I can say is "Me Likey!"

At 462 pounds wet and with 94 bhp the bike feels so much more nimble and easier to flick back and forth than my ST. Plus the riding position is very comfortable - not the sport bike posture which my body can't handle at this stage. The 799cc triple sounds great, is very smooth and has plenty of torque. Since the bike wasn't broken in yet, they asked me to keep it under 5,000 rpms. Even at that, there was plenty of power and with redline close to 10,000 there seemed to be lots more where that came from.

Probably not the bike I'd choose if I planned to be on the interstate for hours on end - but that's Never my plan anyway. I think it would be a great choice for twisty back roads with a bit of light off-roading thrown in.

Brand new, list price $10,999 including ABS (which can be switched off if desired).

Looks like a winner to me.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Since the bike wasn't broken in yet, they asked me to keep it under 5,000 rpms. Even at that, there was plenty of power and with redline close to 10,000 there seemed to be lots more where that came from.
Come on, you didn't cheat just a little? ;) It doesn't really come alive until 6-7k rpm, they love to rev. Did you ride the street version or the XC? If you get a chance ride whichever one you didn't ride the first time. They are two different animals. The XC fits me better and has plusher suspension.

Very stable on the interstate too, however it's a little revvy.

I love my XC, it's just a super fun bike to ride.

OP
OP
barto
Bike
99 ST1100
Come on, you didn't cheat just a little? ;) It doesn't really come alive until 6-7k rpm, they love to rev. Did you ride the street version or the XC? If you get a chance ride whichever one you didn't ride the first time. They are two different animals. The XC fits me better and has plusher suspension.

Very stable on the interstate too, however it's a little revvy.

I love my XC, it's just a super fun bike to ride.
I did cheat a little - but really only took it up to about 6 grand. Seemed like lots of power in that 4 - 6,000 range.

I rode the base 800, not the XC. I don't know why really but I don't like the idea of the tube - type tires. May not matter, I just don't know any better.

I'd like to ride all the new Triumph's - the XC, the Tiger 1050 and they even have an Explorer with shaft drive and a 1215cc triple that I'm sure would be a blast. Not that I could ride it for more than 30 minutes but the Daytona 675 sport bike has gotten rave reviews as well.

Overall, I think Triumph is making some of the most interesting and entertaining bikes on the road today.

Top Bottom