Time for a new battery

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
I'm not complaining, I got 8 years and 10 months out of the last one,(AGM) My question is this. When I went to start the bike this spring, after being on a tender all winter. I heard a series of clicks from the tail section before the dash and all lights went dark. A week later when the new battery was installed the bike started fine like it had been ridden daily all winter. Of course the clock needed reset and for some reason the trip meter had returned to zero, BUT, I have magically lost over 2,000 miles from my digital odometer. Any explanations are welcome.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know the math behind it but it's common when the battery is nearing it's end that the ST's 2 trip meters and clock reset to 0 at engine start. It's a early warning the battery is failing.

We think the system voltage drops below the amount needed to maintain memory because of the voltage inrush to the starter. Reference to Peukert's Law where the rate of discharge reduces battery capacity and there is nothing on the ST that draws power like the starter motor. Note that the odometer does not reset, only the trip meters which are resettable by design.

Bike
2010 ST1300
BUT, I have magically lost over 2,000 miles from my digital odometer. Any explanations are welcome.
Was it the odometer or trip meter? I used to keep one trip meter logging all the miles in a riding season. Is this what you are talking about?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Was it the odometer or trip meter? I used to keep one trip meter logging all the miles in a riding season. Is this what you are talking about?
I thought that the trip meter only tallied up to 2,000 miles and then went back to zero- or you don' ride more then 2,000 miles in a season?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I thought that the trip meter only tallied up to 2,000 miles and then went back to zero- or you don' ride more then 2,000 miles in a season?
I don't remember. As I recall, I never got up that high because I invariably erased it. Honda*, in its wisdom, makes the A and B so small that if I'm not under optimal viewing conditions (reading glasses, out of direct sunlight, etc.) I don't know which one I'm on, and I tend to do some things hastily. Usually I hit the button quickly, changed meters and erased it before looking again. I tried, but the best laid plans..... Since I log my gas purchases on a spreadsheet with date, mileage, etc. the trip meter was a quick way to keep running track, until I blew it, but the gas receipts keep a running log. I usually do 5 to 6K miles a season. I'm not a LD rider.

Suzuki, too. In fact, the letters on the Suzi look like a gnat's poop on the plastic.

OP
OP
2Late45
Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Definately the odometer. Had the state inspection done late last year, sticker says 28,785 miles in July 2020. After new battery and ride around town odo is showing 26,015 miles.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I don't know the math behind it but it's common when the battery is nearing it's end that the ST's 2 trip meters and clock reset to 0 at engine start. It's a early warning the battery is failing.

We think the system voltage drops below the amount needed to maintain memory because of the voltage inrush to the starter. Reference to Peukert's Law where the rate of discharge reduces battery capacity and there is nothing on the ST that draws power like the starter motor. Note that the odometer does not reset, only the trip meters which are resettable by design.
Yep...last three starts, that is what mine is doing. Ordered a new batt yesterday. T

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Definately the odometer. Had the state inspection done late last year, sticker says 28,785 miles in July 2020. After new battery and ride around town odo is showing 26,015 miles.
Well that’s a new one. Sure it wasn’t 25,785 miles last year?

Top Bottom