Time has come for my ST1100

Bike
Honda ST1100
The time has come for me to take care of the motorcycle, after I traveled over 5000 km with it this year. I took the motorcycle at the beginning of June, without a service history, I did a minimal overhaul and took it out on the road. It was a Tasmanian Green (originally), but has some "repainted" area.

Attachments

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
Few days ago, disassembled it and start to repair plastics (was more than pictures)...

Attachments

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
Man, color me impressed!! Did you make a paint booth in the garage? Looks all great!
Thank you.
No, I pitched a pavilion tent outside the garage wrapped in transparent polyethylene film. That was the "painting booth".

awesome job and great painting skills. Seems like you have a lot of patience, which is always a great virtue
Thank you.
No, I do not have painting skills, but it is not the first paint done on a motorcycle. Maybe it doesn't compare to a professional painting, but it turned out pretty well. Yes, it took a lot of patience...

Are you a body shop guy? Impressive job!
Thank you.
No, I'm not, just like to do some things myself, you don't really find tradesmen who do things out of passion anymore. Everyone is running after money...

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
The front fork cups were quite corroded, so I cleaned the paint as much as possible, degreased them and proceeded to repaint them. Unfortunately, the old paint has peeled off a little on the left fork cup. Fortunately, it's towards the inside (towards the wheel and under the front fender)

Attachments

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
When I dismantled the radiator, I was left with a piece of hose in my hand. This led me to remove the carburetors, to see where this hose is routed. I think it's a bypass hose from the water pump to the radiator, connected somewhere to thermostat housing, so it had to be replaced.

Attachments

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
If I still had several components disassembled and had access to the clutch, I removed the secondary cylinder and the cover from the clutch housing, to do an inspection. The motorcycle has over 160,000km. It seems that one of the previous owners worked on the clutch, leaving traces on the screws from the five springs. Visually, the discs seem fine, I did not disassemble them, I only checked the length of the pressure springs (42mm). I disassembled the clutch cover more because it didn't have the cardboard gasket but only the red silicone gasket. On this occasion, I made new gaskets for the cover and the clutch cylinder, cleaned last one and changed the oil seals in both of them.

Attachments

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Excellent work! I've been rebuilding old Hondas since the early 1960's. The amount of crud that can build up in hydraulic cylinders, especially the slave, is amazing. Amazing how much forms. Amazing the brakes still work.

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
The day before yesterday, once I removed the carburetors to replace the water hose, I also removed the tank for an inspection. I saw discussions about its rusting, in the lower part. After I wiped it with a wet cloth, I saw that it looks good to me, it has no rust, and in the lower part it has a rubber protection (a cover) fixed with two clips and double-sided tape. Under this protection is only dust.
If I still removed the tank, I did a visual inspection and rear swingarm for rust. It seems that there is some rust, but on the surface, where the paint is detached. It will remain so until the next revision work.

Attachments

OP
OP
lonerider41life
Bike
Honda ST1100
Yesterday afternoon I took care of the front wheel. It was corroded in several places, so it had to be sanded, grouted and repainted. It didn't come out perfectly, but it's clean. On this occasion, I also repainted the cylinder head covers, the one on the left being also quite corroded. unfortunately night came so I had to stop with that.

Attachments

Top Bottom