Time to change timing belt?

Bike
ST1100
Thinking to inspect and replace timing belt next spring, before getting into 4000 km long ride around Turkey. Mileage will be around 130 t km for this time I expect. I was told that better to change idle and tension rollers along with belt, though I don't hear any suspicions noises, I think this idea is reasonable. Going to find those parts, not a problem on ebay I hope.
But also I was told that I better replace water pump bearings and seals too. Not sure if I need to do that... Would you do that if there are no any visible problems with leaking and noises?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Well, you’re roughly at 81K miles, so the timing belt isn’t a bad idea- many here have well over 150-160K miles with the original parts. Tough to tell, as it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to swap the pump and idlers/ tensioner out- I didn’t when I did my belt as the bike only had 35K miles on it. Uncle Phil might be the one to ask as his bikes are at much higher mileage(s). It all comes down to cost vs peace of mind comfort. Once you’re in there, the parts swap is pretty easy.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I would wait to 150k miles, but assuming the bike is 27 years old and I don't know history of timing belt with previous owner, I'm pretty sure about replacing it. But what about everything else, I don't know)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve had three timing belts done. The first one was done at 127k kms. Only the belt was replaced, the water pump and idler arms were in good condition. That bike now has over 200k kms and has no issues. The second bike I did earlier thinking I had a cooling issue that bike had 120k kms. The water pump was replaced, but the original still functioned properly. That bike is still going strong with approximately 180 k kms. The third one I did also early 115k kms. Replaced the tensioner and idler arm because I had the parts. The ones that came off were as good as new, the same with the water pump. If I were to do it again I would just change the belt. Mostly because I change the coolant every two years with the Honda brand which is friendly to aluminum parts. ;)

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
hmm. Maybe it is better just to replace belt and inspect everything. And if everything is fine, then dig inside one more time later, in 100 k kms..

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Yup, it’s always a toss up- if you did your belt in the near future, it’s likely you would be fine for a very long time- I pre-emptively changed the belts in both STs and they were like factory new (but I did the hoses as well as elbows and O rings as well), so now I ride on and don’t even think about it. I’m older now and if one of the ST’s grenaded (pretty unlikely), I’d probably not replace the engine (as I have the other ST and the Silverwing) and just keep it for parts. I don‘t ever expect that to happen though.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't sweat the belt - the water pump will die on you long before the belt gives up (had a water pump die prematurely at 130,000 miles on one of mine).
I usually change mine around 100,000 miles and the old looks as good as the new one - got three hanging on my wall. ;)
I will change the water pump and idler pulley at 200,000 miles when I change the belt again.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, you mean.. don't touch anything up to 100 k miles, then replace belt and at 200 к miles replace belt + water pump and pulleys?
Yes - That's what I do.
IMHO, the belts are way overengineered and I do not recall of a ST1100 engine failure due to a broken timing belt.
Think about it - If you ordered a 'new' belt from Honda, how old do you think it would be since they stopped making the ST1100s in 2003? ;)

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I don't know, what year they stopped to manufacture spare parts for ST's)
And new aftermarket belts should be fine to use too?

Top Bottom