Timing belt potential alternatives.

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and this is my first thread.
I bought my 1993 ST1100 Pan European in november. The condition of the motorcycle is something else.. It was very well taken care of, 69 000km on the clock. Every bolt I turn there is this white grease like substance ( maybe factory). I couldn't beliveve it myself. In the past months I read a lot, got the service manual and did some maintainance, changed ALL the fluids, filters, spark plugs, greased the main drive ect. ( aka preventative and regular maintanance), beacause the motorcycle is new to me and I wanted to check everything, to make sure all is good.
Now the timing belt story. I ordered the Gates T325 timing belt 2 times from the UK and after almost 3 months of waiting my nurves couldnt take much more. Nothing came.. so I had to search an alternative which was available in my country. So I ordered a CONTITECH CT 529 ( alternatives to that are GATES 5048, DAYCO 94240) they are for Opel Kadett 1.6 diesel. It was a shot in the dark..
When I got the timing belt I disasembled the Pan and found the original Honda timing belt in there, everything was clean inside and none of the pulleys, nor the water pump had any resistance or noise or play in them ( what a relief). I know what you will say, 69 000km is no wear near the change interval of the belt, but I don't know for sure if that milage is correct/ real, altough the perfect condition of the motorcycle.
The Honda belt was like NEW. I tought about leaving it in there, but I had the new one on hand and desided to change it anyway. The two belts are the same lenght, width and teeth count. The only diferance that I saw was that the Conti CT 529 teeth are a little more straight at the bottom of the belt ( see picks)
InkedInkedIMG_20210226_163358_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_20210226_163644_LI.jpgInkedIMG_20210226_165456_LI.jpgInkedInkedIMG_20210227_075523_LI.jpg
I assembled everything and rode her for about 50 km, everything OK.
I don't know if the slightly different theeth profile is going to cause any problems or wear. I will report if there is anything abnormal.
I post this info for those who are in a need of a new timing belt and can't find an original Honda one or the T325, those belts that I mentioned above are an alternative, they are widely available and very cheap in my country at least.. What do you think, is the belt looking ok on the timing gears?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Looks OK. The ST1100 engine is basically an auto type. What kind of reputation does Conti have? I’m not familiar with them.

Thanks for poSTing.

John

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I had along wait for my Gates 325 belt to. 5 - 6 weeks . If i had known that , I would have gone for the Honda belt. Sorry , can't help you with your question.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Can speak to the fit of the belt, or potential issues from fit, but Continental makes a quality product.

RT

OP
OP
huntingdog
Looks OK. The ST1100 engine is basically an auto type. What kind of reputation does Conti have? I’m not familiar with them.

Thanks for poSTing.

John
They get a pretty good rep aroung here. I have used them on several cars over the years and always flawless. It came in an original box all sealed up so I am almost sure it isn't a knock off.

I put a Gates on my 1500 GW , it's a little louder ....I should have put on another Honda ...
Noise levels here on mine with the Conti are exactly the same as with the original, no mater the slighly different teeth profile.

After reading a lot of post here I understand that age isn't a big factor on these timing belts? More so milage, clean belt housing and good water pump, pulleys?

OP
OP
huntingdog
One week passed after the timing belt change, all good.
And.. surprise surprise, the Gates T325 came in the mail :rolleyes: . Oh the irony I thought..
It came in a plastic bag with no original packaging and I can't find any manufacturing date stamp on it.
1615106219509.jpg

A comparison to the original Honda one:
1615106219514.jpg1615106219522.jpg

Idk if it's just me but I am starting to find it difficult to spot the differances between the three belts..? :dr11:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to ST-owners, @huntingdog!
Looks like you have a truly clean machine, so congratulations.
And your English is exceedingly better than my Bulgarian!
Back on topic, I see less difference between the Gates and Honda belts, than the difference between the Continental and Honda belts. You've sure been through that motorbike in quick time, too. Well done.

OP
OP
huntingdog
Hey all. Thanks for all the greetings! :)
Was rereading the service manual for the timing belt change for some reason and I think I have missed the " Turn the cranckshaft clockwise further 3 teeth and tighten the tensioner bolt" bit when doing the job.. :doh1: I did however rotate the cranckshaft maybe 10 times before I tightened the tensioner bolt and all the marks were spot on! Belt tensioner got the slack out of the new belt right after I started to rotate and didn't move ever since. Belt had no slack. I know this is a stupid question but I really don't want to nor have the time to do the timing belt job again atm. Have riden about 600km since the job, and nothing abnormal has happened. Do you think I am good?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The experts will chime in I’m sure, but I doubt that’s such a critical step that it would result in belt failure, especially after that many miles (or km in your case). I wouldn’t worry. Otherwise, are you going to tear into it again just for that? I think I did the same thing (rotated the engine by hand using a ratchet a few times to make sure the marks lined up properly). My bikes have now > 10K miles since the change and all has been fine. Ride on and don’t worry.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Those last three teeth (new belt install only) take the very last bit of slack out as you go from no cam pressure on the valves (all marks lined up) to contact/just starting to compress the valves. But I wouldn’t worry about it, you’ll be juST fine. IMO

John

OP
OP
huntingdog
The experts will chime in I’m sure, but I doubt that’s such a critical step that it would result in belt failure, especially after that many miles (or km in your case). I wouldn’t worry. Otherwise, are you going to tear into it again just for that? I think I did the same thing (rotated the engine by hand using a ratchet a few times to make sure the marks lined up properly). My bikes have now > 10K miles since the change and all has been fine. Ride on and don’t worry.
Well as I said I am not looking forward to doing the job again, but I really really really don't want the joyful meeting of the pistons and valves to happen :biggrin:. So if it is necessary I am willing to do it.

Those last three teeth (new belt install only) take the very last bit of slack out as you go from no cam pressure on the valves (all marks lined up) to contact/just starting to compress the valves. But I wouldn’t worry about it, you’ll be juST fine. IMO

John
Yes that makes sence. I can remember even pushing down on the tensioner by hand a little bit just to make sure it has gone all the way and it didn't move.

Okey thanks guys! :) Your comments where a relief, I will leave it alone for now. Will take a look at the belt at some point from the little technical opening ( the two bolt little lid in front of the cranckshaft pulley), to see and feel if the belt seems tight enough.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I recall pushing on the tensioner as well with the belt off, just to see the spring action. You’re good...ride on and enjoy the bike. I wouldn’t even bother checking through the inspection cover til you have 60+ K miles on it (or just let it go til you hit the next 90K)

Top Bottom