Tipped over the bike today..

STOC #
Well I guess it had to happen.. I just wasn't prepared for it to occur only 10 days after I bought the bike.:mad:

I came to a stop on a street in Leesburg, VA and when I put my foot down, my right foot just kept on sliding. Turns out there was a bit of anti-freeze on the road and my dang foot magically hit the 6" puddle like some kind of friggin' miracle.

The bike tips to the right and as much as I tried, I just couldn't keep it from tipping over. DANG that monster is heavy!

The bike stalled out and it took a bit of effort to get it upright again.. After a few attempts to start, she fired right up. The engine guard cover and nut under the right side peg got a decent scuff. The right hard bag got nick'd on the bottom a bit, but it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. All things considered, I consider myself pretty lucky to have escaped with only minor cosmetic flaws.

Ironically, I had a conversation with my wife about the expense related to bygdawg's tip-over bars before I left the office and she asked me if they were really necessary. I guess now the answer is a resounding 'yes'.

Brent

Bike
'06 ST1300A
That's more than just an "engine guard cover", it serves quite nicely as tip-over bars. Sorry to hear that it happened to you, but as you said, it was bound to happen sometime. Mine was knocked over in a parking lot last week. Been on its sides so often now that I can't differentiate the new scuffs on the tipover wings from the old scuffs.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Welcome to a prestegious (god I cant spell) club..

Don't worry too much about it..mines been over 4 times for various reasons..First one always hurts the most

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Welcome to the club at least your wife wasn't on it with you like mine was when I had my first drop !! Lisa called me this morning on her way to frederick and she saw a 07 on 340 heading west must have been you? It's bad when people can spot us and keep tabs on us so easy I better behave my self !

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
If your bike is going to take a tumble, it's always nice when your ego takes the biggest beating. I joined the club about a year ago and was also lucky to escape with minimal damage.

John

STOC #
But here's the good news: Your ST didn't "stall out." There's actually tip-over sensor on it. I felt like I'd won the lottery when I read that in the Owner's Manual.

If you've ever flipped some other machine, it's heart-breaking to watch your baby lying on its side with the engine at redline and the rear wheel spinning treacherously...while you're trying to pull yourself off some elderly driver's front bumper.

OP
OP
brentster
STOC #
she saw a 07 on 340 heading west must have been you?
Yep.. That was me on my way to work in Leesburg. If I was on 340, that was around 8:30. I usually leave the house around 7 or so, but got a late start today :) ..

Glad she didn't see me last week.. I passed a car between Montville Rd and Basford and a guy in a landscaping truck decided to pull onto the road while I'm trying to get back into the lane. I sped up to avoid/get ahead of him and was passed by a FC Sheriff coming the other way. He looked right at me on his way past me, but didn't come after me. I figure he saw what happened and gave me a break.

Brent: think positive and it won't hurt as much. Be thankful it happened while you're stationary. Be extra thankful that the tip-over bars were there to minimize the damage to all those expensive parts and gears...

STOC #
Don't feel bad. I dropped mine after 9 days. Similar situation. At a street corner. Stopped. As I was putting my foot down I realize the street was sloping quite a bit to my right. The bike went and I didn't try to hold it. I get the scuff until I sold it.

STOC #
The bike stalled out and it took a bit of effort to get it upright again..

Brent
Did you miss
this ?

Brent if you meant me, Yes, I saw it. I thought he was saying his bike stalled when he tipped it over. I was commenting that it didn't "stall" because it tipped over, it was turned off by the tip-over-detector when it tipped over.

I didn't tip the bike over today...

On the way to work. I stop at the base gate. I reach for the fairing pocket to pull out my ID and parking pass. A rag I keep in the bottom of the pocket falls to the ground. I immediately think of Fred and his lighter. So...I S L O W L Y bend over and pick it up without mishap. But believe me, I was constantly thinking of the consequences!

Bike
None
STOC #
Sorry to hear of your Unbelievable bad luck. Good thing to get it over and done with thou and glad the circumstances were good safety wise. A little hurt pride is easy to get over. Physical ones not so easy! (However all the "it'll happen sooner or laters" need to be quiet! No more inviting of the tip overs!:shock: SSSSHHHHhhhhhhh.....I've dropped a couple of bikes but not the ST! I'm hoping that the others used up my quota already.:hat1: )

Anyway, this look like a good thread to be moved to the TOTsters!

wolfxoman

Done Riding!!! Near death exp
Bike
NONE
STOC #
About became a member of the TOTsters yesterday when a darn Tar Snake about jumped out and bit me. Caught myself just in time and saved it luckily. I really hate Tar Snakes.

Bike
ST 1300
Well I guess it had to happen.. I just wasn't prepared for it to occur only 10 days after I bought the bike.:mad:

I came to a stop on a street in Leesburg, VA and when I put my foot down, my right foot just kept on sliding. Turns out there was a bit of anti-freeze on the road and my dang foot magically hit the 6" puddle like some kind of friggin' miracle.

The bike tips to the right and as much as I tried, I just couldn't keep it from tipping over. DANG that monster is heavy!

The bike stalled out and it took a bit of effort to get it upright again.. After a few attempts to start, she fired right up. The engine guard cover and nut under the right side peg got a decent scuff. The right hard bag got nick'd on the bottom a bit, but it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. All things considered, I consider myself pretty lucky to have escaped with only minor cosmetic flaws.

Ironically, I had a conversation with my wife about the expense related to bygdawg's tip-over bars before I left the office and she asked me if they were really necessary. I guess now the answer is a resounding 'yes'.

Brent
Glad you didn't suffer any real damage. However, I have a question. I'm curious as to how the right hard bag got nicked. The tip-over bar on that side should have kept the weight off of that bag, unless there was a curb or something sticking up that was involved. Of course this is a left hand shot of the bars in action, but you can still see that none of the bag is touching:
http://pics.midsouthspyders.com/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=7023

Any chance the nick might have happened at another time?

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
It might have been some of that nice rutted pavement at some stops that have lots of heavy traffic. I've seen some places up this way where you stop the bike is in a 6" hole with a nice hump in the middle , that you can't really see till you stop.

Top Bottom