Tips/tricks for Bugs and dirt in the Radiator!!!!

With it starting to get nice allover the place, even here in upstate New York. The bugs are out. Dust and dirt flying around as well. After a ride yesterday i took a look at the radiator while i was wiping the bike off. I noticed alot of bugs mixed with some dirt. Was interested to hear if theres any good hacks/tricks to clean it up??
Tooth brush , hydrogen peroxide. Foaming coil cleaner, coil brush. Some type of metal mesh concoction that you place over the coils???

Bike
2010 ST1300
If I had that bug problem, I'd probably take a piece of window screen, cut it to size and wrap it around the front of the radiator (under the tupperware). Then I'd take the bike out for a ride to see if it raised the temp by blocking the air flow.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
120 psi from my air tank.
I'd be careful using compressed air, as the fins bend VERY easily.
I remove the radiator annually and soak it in warm soapy water, then flush the bugs and dirt out from the rear using a gentle flow of water.
A clogged up radiator with dirt will cause to bike to run hot.
I've found them so packed with dirt that you couldn't see daylight through them.
:WCP1:

Bike
Any
I use the dawn dish soap in a spray bottle ,spray let sit for 10 minutes and rinse off . All the dirt and crud is gone and safe for the rad .
I've never thought of using a spray bottle... that's a pretty good idea.

I usually use a wet towel for windshields and fairings or the "mist" setting on a garden hose nozzle for more difficult to reach areas.

STOC #
With it starting to get nice allover the place, even here in upstate New York. The bugs are out. Dust and dirt flying around as well. After a ride yesterday i took a look at the radiator while i was wiping the bike off. I noticed alot of bugs mixed with some dirt. Was interested to hear if theres any good hacks/tricks to clean it up??
Tooth brush , hydrogen peroxide. Foaming coil cleaner, coil brush. Some type of metal mesh concoction that you place over the coils???
I've never thought of using a spray bottle... that's a pretty good idea.

Anyone use S100 on their bike, rad? Was going to buy some.
The dawn idea sounds good too

Bike
Any
Never tried S100.

I did have a Mr. Clean car wash kit that someone gave me. It worked well for quick cleaning jobs (typical dust & pollen removal)... but for heavy dirt or road grime picked up during harvest season, nothing beats Dawn Soap and a good wax job (on painted or chrome parts) after.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
After you get it clean again , put black aluminum window screen in front of the radiator . I have done that on my 3 present MCs & all my cars since 1980, when I got my Grandfather's '55 Pontiac Chieftain - he had been doing that for many years apparently .

Bike
2010 ST1300
After you get it clean again , put black aluminum window screen in front of the radiator . I have done that on my 3 present MCs & all my cars since 1980, when I got my Grandfather's '55 Pontiac Chieftain - he had been doing that for many years apparently .
Ahhh, we will probably now get the next thread, "I put window screen in front of my radiator and it's now clogged with bugs. How do I get them off....? :rofl1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When riding through area's where there are a lot of insects, I've always sprayed by fork tubes, fairings, and stuff with PAM cooking spray before the ride.
Bugs slide right off with just a light spray of water.
Been doing that on Harley Davidson's for years.

OP
OP
Mike 2000 ST 1100
Some good info thanks.. i have a foaming coil cleaner spray otw . Will try the good ole peroxide method while waiting for amazon delivery. Also making a screen cover ,in theory sounds wonderful. Maybe zipties and metal screen.
Can get quite buggy up here near cooperstown, NY . A mixture of these will probably be my best bet.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
When riding through area's where there are a lot of insects, I've always sprayed by fork tubes, fairings, and stuff with PAM cooking spray before the ride.
Bugs slide right off with just a light spray of water.
Been doing that on Harley Davidson's for years.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Light or heavy coat? How far away from the surface do you hold the can? May read as an anal question, but curious if it makes a difference. I'd like to make the dusk rides more easier to clean up :)

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
hydrogen peroxide works well after letting it sit , rinse with hose.... simple

Same for windshield, I soak a towel in hydrogen peroxide and lay on the windshield...10 mins later all the crud comes right off.
I use a spray bottle 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide to remove bugs from fairing and windsheild. Works amazing and fast. Turns bugs to foam and they wipe of easily. Been doing this several years and does not seem to affect paint or windsheild.

Top Bottom