Tire iron sizes

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So what's the recommended size for tire irons?

I see Motion Pro beadpro ones in 16" and 9.8" as well as regular spoons in various sizes.

So what's the recommended size for tire irons?

I see Motion Pro beadpro ones in 16" and 9.8" as well as regular spoons in various sizes.
I use the Motion Pro spoons that are 11 inches ... not that that's meaningful :)

Obviously, the 16's will provide more leverage ... with mine, I've never struggled getting a tire on or off ... it's all about technique

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
While the larger ones provide more leverage, I figured there might be a need for something smaller as well to make the process easier. Sometimes larger ends up being a PITA.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just turned my front tire 180 as the left side was wearing 1/8” faster than the right.
All I used was 2- 11” motion pro spoons and 2 motion pro rim protectors.
A vice to break the bead and a bit of simple green to lube the tire.
Oh and one zip tie to hold the beads close to the centre of the rim 180 degrees from where your using the spoons.
It gets easier every time I do it.

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2010 ST1300
While the larger ones provide more leverage, I figured there might be a need for something smaller as well to make the process easier. Sometimes larger ends up being a PITA.
Depends on how big a guy you are and the tires. When I installed my Angel GT's, they were so hard and stiff that I'd wished for a 3' long tire iron. I was doing this at my home. Were I on the road, then I'd want shorter ones - or at least a telescoping model :rofl1: Alas, never seen one that collapses like a radio antenna.

The only reason for a short one that I can see, is when you are levering the last foot of the tire over the edge of the rim. Now, the spoon wants to sit flat on the wheel but the disk is in the way. Two solutions - angle the tire iron so it is tangential to the disk and some spoons have a bent tip that allow the body of the iron to angle up away from the wheel.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The small motion pro spoons work best.
Their pro model flat style can damage bead area on rim.
The 15 inch curved ones are only good for wrapping around tire on installation etc.
It’s too easy to resort to brute strength and bend alloy rims.
It’s all about technique not force or leverage.
You should be able to spoon on even the Bridgestone 020 with just three short spoons if your technique is correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom