Tire issues again Suzuki 1250fa

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Morning all,

About two months ago or so I had my front tire replaced and all was well, but over the last three weeks I've noticed a slow leak to the point I have to air up every second day.

Can I just put a can of fixaflat in and leave it at that till next tire replacement?

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Spray bottle full of soapy water, coat the tyre/rim/valve. If it's leaking that quickly, you'll probably be able to find the leak. If it's a slow puncture, faxaflat might work. If it's a large puncture that's still plugged by the offending item, better to remove and repair/replace. You might find it leaking around the rim - breaking and reseating the bead might help, especially if beam lubricant or sealant is used. It could also be the valve - remove the valve cap, soapy water (or a bit of spit) across the hole, and if it blows bubbles... Might just need to tighten or replace the valve core.

Or you could be really unlucky and find that it's leaking through the rim... rather unlikely, and probably better to know if so though!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had a slow leak in my rear tire after replacing it a few tires ago, it was the valve core. Bought a few new ones at the local WalMart, and replaced it, no leak! I used gas leak detector fluid, available at Home Depot, to find the leak. It really bubbles up nicely. I am sure dishwashing detergent would work as well.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Stay away from Fix A Flat!!!! It can eat away at your aluminum rims over time. When you have to change the tire, you have to deal with all the goo that just makes a big mess. If you take it to a dealer, they will not be happy with you.

As others have said, use some soapy water and find where the leak it coming from and fix it properly.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Did you or whoever mounted the tire clean all the old rubber off the surface of the rim? The rubber from the previous tire should always be cleaned from the rim before mounting a new tire. I've had one leak that way before.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Can I just put a can of fixaflat in and leave it at that till next tire replacement?
Sure, at your peril. If the valve stem or rim (bead) is leaking any of the tire goos will not work, they coat the center of the inside of the tire and usually do not reach the sidewall. (Unless you pour in a few gallons, in which case you have a weighted tire that is useful on a tractor but not so much on a motorcycle.) I'm not a fan of any of these quickie flat fixers, especially since the goo inside my ST's tire when I bought it cost extra $ to clean the rim when I had my local shop change the tires.

Consider that inflated tires are what keep you upright. If something is wrong, fix it correctly and be done with the problem.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Be careful of using Fix a Flat. Some of these flat tire fixers can severely corrode aluminum rims. A product like Ride-On will not corrode the rim and will seal well and also balance the wheel.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Here's a suggestion, take your bike to Honda of Jacksonville. I know it is a Honda dealership and you are riding a Suzuki, but I believe they will service your tires. I have been buying tires from them for about 15 years and they have some very good deals and fast service. I personally do not use the local Honda shop in our area.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Thanks everyone for the advice, before making the fix-a-flat move i stopped by my family mechanic, we found the leak around the tire seal. Aparently the little shop i went to when buying the tire never cleaned along the bead. A light scrub and looks like the leak is fixxed. Thanks all!

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
Did you or whoever mounted the tire clean all the old rubber off the surface of the rim? The rubber from the previous tire should always be cleaned from the rim before mounting a new tire. I've had one leak that way before.
Thats almost exactly what was wrong!

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Here's a suggestion, take your bike to Honda of Jacksonville. I know it is a Honda dealership and you are riding a Suzuki, but I believe they will service your tires. I have been buying tires from them for about 15 years and they have some very good deals and fast service. I personally do not use the local Honda shop in our area.
I agree, go to the dealer that does the best and most reasonable job, and knows what they're doing. I ride a Suzuki, I take my wheels to the local KTM dealer for changing - they also have tire prices that are virtually identical to online prices. Our local Suzuki dealer is a joke.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
How do you like the 1250, I was thinking of picking up one.
I have what is probably the most over-farkled GSX1250FA-ST in the country.. I love it - the best bike in many ways that I've ever had. Since it'll probably be my last 2-wheeler, I'm likely to keep loving it for quite awhile. Gobs of power and torque (with the farkels I've added) and still pretty light-weight compared to most sport-touring bikes. A lot of the newer bikes have a lot more power and features, but I do like mine.

Top Bottom