Tire Mileage

I do some spirited riding,, of all types. And have been pretty consistent on my current tire selections and life,, with 20-22,000km on the rear,,, and 16.5-18,000km's on the fronts. I am satisfied with those numbers,, and they are what I consider to be premium model tires (ie: you pay a bit more,, so they should deliver a bit more in life and performance),,, cheers,,, CAt'

Just got home from WV-stoc. The T31s on my 1100 performed flawlessly. (non-GT, stock sizes)

Thank you to those forum members whose recommendations influenced the choice. Bravo!

Last edited:
I have tried a bunch and I think the T31 is the best bang for the buck. I liked the Michelin PR4 but they are pricey and only slightly better mileage. This past year I have been using ME880 as they are pretty cheap on closeout now that the 888's are out. I still struggle to get more than 6,000 out of a rear on ANY of the ones I mentioned. Not sure how guys get 10k out of a rear, clearly a TOTALLY different riding style than mine!

Over the past 20 years I have owned a Honda Pacific Coast, Yamaha Venture, Yamaha TDM 850, Cagiva Gran Canyon, RT1100, RT1150, CB1000F and now an ST1300. Moving from Texas to TN has definitely changed my riding style. I have transitioned from touring bikes and tires to sport touring bikes and tires. I currently own the CB and ST. I have purchased just about every brand of tire available and only got about 3,500 to 4,000 miles off a set of tires on my RTs regardless of brand. With the ST now becoming my primary ride and considering the increased weight of the bike I am wondering what effect the increased weight of the bike will have on tire life. I am already buying approximately 2.5 sets of tires a year for each bike. Reading the threads leads me to believe there are a lot members out there that ride a lot like I do. So I am asking for experiences and opinions from the group.
On front, Dunlop Elite 4 in size 130/70r/18 will easily yield 18 to 20 thousand miles and performs very well in wet or dry. On the back, there will be very little mileage difference between brands. Back tires run at much higher temps and more stress and thus, will wear out much quicker. Multi compound tires won't vary much in mileage. Avoid softer "sport" bike tires if you are looking for more mileage.

I purchased my 1100 last Halloween with Metzler Z6's on it. They were put on the bike at 33K. I bought the bike with 35K on it. I replaced the replaced the front tire last week with 45K on it. The rear appears to be about 50 %.

After hours of review I decided to put a Michelin PR GT 4 on it. The performance on this tire is night and day; I love the performance.

We will see how the tire holds up.

I'm surprised at how many here are concerned about saving $20-$30 on such a safety critical item. I understand limited incomes and frequent tire changes but still.... can't put a price on safety.

Have you guys tried an Angel GT2 or A-Spec? I don't see many, if any, complaints about them. They perform beautifully wet and dry. And even tho' I ride spirited, but smooth on the throttle (in my opinion the biggest wear factor, then road surface and air pressure) I get 8k out of them.

If it were only $20-$30 I don't think that this discussion, and all the other similar ones, would take place. My last set of tires I purchased Shinko Verge 011 tires based on many favorable reviews I had read. They were close to $150.00 cheaper than the last set of PR4's that I had purchased. I have no idea about longevity yet but as far as performance I haven't noticed any mind-blowing differences yet. As a matter of fact they took much less weight to balance than every set of PR4's that I have had.

That is a lot gas money freed up and worthy of consideration.

I'm surprised at how many here are concerned about saving $20-$30 on such a safety critical item. I understand limited incomes and frequent tire changes but still.... can't put a price on safety.

Have you guys tried an Angel GT2 or A-Spec? I don't see many, if any, complaints about them. They perform beautifully wet and dry. And even tho' I ride spirited, but smooth on the throttle (in my opinion the biggest wear factor, then road surface and air pressure) I get 8k out of them.
8K just doesn't cut it if you are doing longer rallies. Car tires are on LD bikes for a reason.

All interesting input, but still kinda like asking what is the best oil. Some 20+ years ago, the motorcycle tire manufacturers started incorporating the compound used on tread side portion of tire to center of tire and side portion of tread an even softer compound for cornering adhesion. So, with that being done for safety reasons, tire wear is not what it used to be some 30 years ago. Myself, have experienced both those eras and some prior earlier riding. Just a thought to consider IMO.

Again.... SAFETY. 1) car tires for cars, bike tires for bikes. 2) You get what'cha pay for.

I also believe that a smooth throttle saves the tires. Problem is that the ST is so much fun when you hammer the throttle and feel all the wonderful torque.

My last bike before the ST weighed 300 pounds less and had 40 more HP. I know fun. :biggrin: But that was a bike you really learned and needed to be smooth with throttle inputs.

Still waiting to see pics of tires with 18K on them.
I don't have a pic, but I'm on my 4th or 5th set of these on my ST1100, which I always get 20-25k out of...

Front: Bridgestone BT45 rear tire
Rear: Michelin Commander II

I just put a new set on and rode lots of twisties in Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina over the last two weeks. Have no trouble keeping up with just about anyone and they feel very surefooted.

The Angel GT A-spec,,, (not GT2) gave me 20,000km (12,000 miles) on the rear,, with great performance and good wet riding. So I was happy with it. The front GT died an early death though,,, and I don't recommend that front tire. cheers,, CAt'

I have some more wear left on my 98 ST1100 and my plans are to take it to the Darkside with a car tire, I have seen rave reviews from those already using car tires and on ST1100 style bikes and along with more foot print on the pavement you get a longer wear mileage, so safety is important so longer wear, more footprint contact This seems like a changing attitude for the regular riders except those who enjoy the Tail of the Dragon lifestyle.

Reactions: T_C
Back
Top Bottom