Tire pressure monitoring system?

As noob to the ST and having recently had a flat, I would like to put some type of TPMS on the bike. Any suggestions?
you will find some different models on Ebay and Amazon. I think the most practical is the one you control with your cell phone.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use a cheap system off of the eBay. Has saved my bacon once already allowing me to spot a deflating tyre as I was heading off into the wilderness. Looks just like the one in the link below. Battery life in the transmitters seems to be about 12 months, the head unit is rechargeable and lasts me for many months of weekend riding between charges. IMG_0211.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAREUD-M3-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-2-External-Sensor/223650194057?hash=item3412972289:g:XUMAAOSwD5Jdb2ZU

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hawkshead or knockoff - Rupse or Tymate

No experience with Tymate but it looks the same.
Head is waterproof, hold charge a long time, caps use button batteries that can be replaced.
Have them on all 4 ST1100s with lots of miles of use.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Can you describe how you modified the reporting head? And what has been your experience with battery life in the sending units?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Cheap is fine if it works. Has it been good for you?
Two sets, one on my '96 CB750ST, one on my '01 ST1100, both work perfectly.

I have the readout units on constant power using the USB ports on my auxiliary power outlets.

Hawkshead....is the only one Ive ever had, its nice, it works. Temps and pressure

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've used the Rupse for almost 3 years and over 55K with no problems (only changing sensor disc batteries). Couple things I like about it is; automatic display light when dark and auto power off/standby if idle for 15 min.
I did change to 90 degree metal valve stems (on Super Tenere).

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My Hawkshead unit on my old ST got water in it after some heavy rain exposure.

I have the Cyclops units on my newer ST and my FJ09. I went with the hardwired units. Both have worked fine.

You will want to change to metal valve stems, and I opted for the "T" valves from Hawkshead as they allow you to leave the external sensors mounted and still adjust air pressure.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
+1 on the Hawkshead T valve stems.

I have the Kimpex labeled version of the Cyclops. Works great, so far no issues.

OP
OP
Linked2Mark
I use a cheap system off of the eBay. Has saved my bacon once already allowing me to spot a deflating tyre as I was heading off into the wilderness. Looks just like the one in the link below. Battery life in the transmitters seems to be about 12 months, the head unit is rechargeable and lasts me for many months of weekend riding between charges. IMG_0211.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAREUD-M3-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-2-External-Sensor/223650194057?hash=item3412972289:g:XUMAAOSwD5Jdb2ZU
Terry thanks for this. Nice job mounting it. Some have suggested that I used something that connects to my phone - while I think phones are great things, one of the reasons I get on the bike is to get away from the phone. :)

OP
OP
Linked2Mark
Wow - thanks for all of the input. I will do a bit of digging and figure out what I want to do. @sirepair thanks for the tip about the hawkshead. I have a few knuckle scrapes from brake discs while checking tire pressure and putting air in the tire.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
... Some have suggested that I used something that connects to my phone - while I think phones are great things, one of the reasons I get on the bike is to get away from the phone. :)
Agreed, I want a dedicated TPMS to see at all times and don't want to have to open my phone to see it. I had the Hawkshead for several years, but I lost the rubber cover for the charger port and it got wet inside and corroded. I looked into the Rupse, but bought this Sykik for $50 from Amazon...
1575302277725.png
I've only used it for a month or so, and it seems to work as well as the HH, but shows both the Pressure and Temp in one display, as opposed to the HH which required a button press to see temps. One thing I like better is it wakes from sleep as soon as I get on my bike, with no input from me. Also, the current pressures show after just a few seconds of wheel rotation. Accuracy seems to be good... it matches my good tire gauge, which matched my HH.

Reactions: TOS
Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got the FOBO on my ST and Hawkshead on my V Strom. The Fobo app on my iphone has lost the sensors on occasion - usually noticed when I am ready to leave in the morining. Reconnecting has been a bit of a pita - but then, most fiddling with a (notso)smartphone is frustrating, no doubt due in part to my ignorance. Once connected, I've had no problems and the iphone screen is easier to read - or provides a better format - for the info than my Hawkshead. I've had the Fobo for about 2 years and the Hawkshead for one riding season - no problems at all w/ the Hawkshead, tho their instructions are a bit confusing. Battery life is supposed to be about the same for both brands' sensors, but I replace the batteries at the beginning of the riding season - sort of like changing batteries in smoke detectors on New Years day whether they need to be changed or not. Preventative maintenance.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I use an Orange system - 2nd generation as far as I recall. It has been great and I have spotted several nails way before I could feel it, allowing me to return safely to my garage, fix the tire, and proceed. The only downside is that the battery in the sensor is not changeable, so need new sensors every 3 years or so, and I think Orange may be out of business. I may also have to look for another system now :-(

Reactions: T_C

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Agreed, I want a dedicated TPMS to see at all times and don't want to have to open my phone to see it. I had the Hawkshead for several years, but I lost the rubber cover for the charger port and it got wet inside and corroded. I looked into the Rupse, but bought this Sykik for $50 from Amazon...
1575302277725.png
I've only used it for a month or so, and it seems to work as well as the HH, but shows both the Pressure and Temp in one display, as opposed to the HH which required a button press to see temps. One thing I like better is it wakes from sleep as soon as I get on my bike, with no input from me. Also, the current pressures show after just a few seconds of wheel rotation. Accuracy seems to be good... it matches my good tire gauge, which matched my HH.
I have used these on my 1300 for the past two years. Changed the batteries once on the transmitters. They work great.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can you describe how you modified the reporting head? And what has been your experience with battery life in the sending units?
I misspoke. I haven't really modified the head unit but what I did was make a couple of aluminum tabs and attached them under a lever perch bolt on both bikes. The head comes with a silicone cover and the aluminum tab slips under the cover to hold it in place. The head actually comes for use as a key fob. It displays a visual of course, and the display turns red, beeps, and vibrates when it has a high/lo value outside of the parameters I program into it. One could carry it in an inside pocket but I prefer to mount it like this. The unit is water resistant but in anything but a light mist I slip it in an inside pocket. The battery cover on the back is clearly not sealed though covered by the silicone sheath. The batteries in the wheel sensors have been changed once. I think in the third year.

Top Bottom