Tire pressure monitoring system

Who makes a reliable tire pressure monitoring system that is also reasonably priced? Any recommendations from your experience? Thanks much!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
This i what I and a lot of other users on this forum use:

The term "reasonable" is open to wide interpretation. I like it. Can work with standard valve stems, but is easier to use with the new T-shaped stems. The batteries in the sending units may last a 2-3 years. The charge on the rechargeable receiving unit could easily last a whole 2-3 week long-distance tour and more.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
We've owned three vehicles factory equipped with TPMS's installed. One, my first so equipped, has remained trouble free for 170,000 miles...it informed me of an actual pressure leak. The other two failed before 60,000 miles. The first failure involved the right rear unit spilling it's little insides somewhere along the highway and resulted in my installing the spare at around midnight in the boonies. This one I had repaired at a cost of $800 even for troubleshooting and hardware repair. A rental car tpms equipped told me all four tires were inflated to 55 psi....My old fashioned tpms said 35 psi all round.
I will simply watch the pretty light on my current vehicle, the newest of the lot. I check tire pressures weekly like I did for decades prior to tpms.
All were units factory installed, mounted internally to the wheel assembly.
That's a reliability rate of 25% over the long term.
Think I'll wait to install them on a bike.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Bike
2010 ST1300
You might try a search - blue band above - for 'Tire Pressure Monitoring System' and also for 'TPMS'. There have been more than a few discussions about these.

I have Fobo and Hawkshead. The former displays info on your cell phone, the latter on a display that comes in their kit. Both use external sensors on T valves. There are pros and cons to each, I'm currently using the Hawkshead because it is on my Suzi. I don't like the small font they use, and preferred the bigger font on my phone. However, having read of guys losing their phones off their bikes when hitting a big bump, I tend to keep that in my pocket where it can be crushed if I fall off or trip. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
This is what I have mounted https://www.amazon.com/SYKIK-Wireless-Pressure-Monitoring-Motorcycles/dp/B07BFH9WZ7/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Motorcycle+tpms&qid=1624803282&sr=8-4

I have the sensors mounted on angled stems. Battery life has been about a year on the sensors. It has been accurate and comes on after just rolling a few feet on the bike. Would recommend it to anyone.
This TPM is what I am using on the XR. Has been pretty reliable. Decent battery life on the sensors and unit before needing charging as well.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I've been using this one for the last two years:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've never had good luck with any of the ones on hour Honda SUV's. They fail regularly, and cost a lot of money to have installed etc.
IMHO they are just something else to break or wear out, and spend money needlessly on :rolleyes:
I view them two ways....electrical toys that are not needed, and stuff for lazy people who won't take 5 minutes to do safety inspections before riding...
It used to be folks who rode motorcycles knew how to maintain, ride, and care for their bikes, it was a relationship between rider and machine.
Flame retardant suit on....

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
IMHO they are just something else to break or wear out, and spend money needlessly on :rolleyes:
Ditto...
I even gave up on the fancy digital pressure gauges; either they rattle apart or the battery goes down, causing false readings...
I'm fully analogue:

d7.04.02.10002733890FR0114.JPG

The most reliable ever owned...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Ditto...
I even gave up on the fancy digital pressure gauges; either they rattle apart or the battery goes down, causing false readings...
I'm fully analogue:

Nice gauge

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have had the FOBO2 Bike sensors on my ST for about a year without any issues. I used the T metal stems so I don't have to remove the sensors to add air to the tires. The monitor is on my smartphone so I can check air pressure before I am ready to ride without having to move the bike. We had a group buy on these some time ago, I don't know if it's still valid or not, but as I recall, the cost was about $80 USD shipped, the t stems were another $20 bucks.
I have a Garmin 390 with tpms on my Goldwing, It is damned inconvenient to have to move the bike to check air pressure.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Just because someone uses a tool such as this doesn't mean they can't or don't properly maintain their rides. If that were the case, it would be grounds to disgard every improvement every made to a bike, like brake lighte (I mean the early bikes didn't have those.....).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I view them two ways....electrical toys that are not needed, and stuff for lazy people who won't take 5 minutes to do safety inspections before riding...
It used to be folks who rode motorcycles knew how to maintain, ride, and care for their bikes, it was a relationship between rider and machine.
Having a TPMS does not relieve anyone of their responsibility to maintain their tires at the correct pressure. It is intended to provide warning of a low pressure, or dropping pressure, condition that may develop while the vehicle is in motion. The pre-ride inspection will only tell you that the tires are properly inflated at that moment. A person can do as many pre-ride inspections as they like, none of them will prevent a leak due to a foreign object, such as a nail, screw, piece of glass, etc., that penetrated a tire while you were riding and caused a leak. Unless of course those inspections are done every five minutes during the ride, which would be rather inconvenient to say the least.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Having a TPMS does not relieve anyone of their responsibility to maintain their tires at the correct pressure. It is intended to provide a warning of low pressure, or dropping pressure, a condition that may develop while the vehicle is in motion. The pre-ride inspection will only tell you that the tires are properly inflated at that moment. A person can do as many pre-ride inspections as they like, none of them will prevent a leak due to a foreign object, such as a nail, screw, piece of glass, etc., that penetrated a tire while you were riding and caused a leak. Unless of course those inspections are done every five minutes during the ride, which would be rather inconvenient, to say the least.
I view the tpms as a safety device, it isn't a 'toy' and it doesn't keep anyone, I hope from checking their tires before a ride.TPMS

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ditto...
I'm fully analogue:

$55 on ebay. Though there are a couple of others there for $150.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
TPMS is a safety feature not a toy or a lazy man’s tire gauge. A slow leak on a long hot ride can put you in the hospital or morgue when the tire comes apart at 75 mph.

The TPMS that Honda used in cars and SUVs was fundamentally flawed and prone to problems. The aftermarket external and internal wireless sensors used on motorcycles (and many current cars) use different technology and shouldn’t be compared to the crappy Honda 4 wheel system. Those don’t use pressure sensors at all.

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The TPMS Honda that used in cars and SUVs was fundamentally flawed and prone to problems.
Please elaborate. I've had zero issues with the TPMS on my two 08 Acura TL's with valve stem sensors over a combined six years and ~100k miles.

Our latest, 17 CR-V uses the ABS sensors to detect a rotational differential between the four wheels to signal decreased tire pressure - reduced pressure = smaller tire diameter. It doesn't even pretend to report pressure at all. Vehicle must be moving and it does require some distance to signal that deviation.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Our latest, 17 CR-V uses the ABS sensors to detect a rotational differential between the four wheels to signal decreased tire pressure - reduced pressure = smaller tire diameter. It doesn't even pretend to report pressure at all. Vehicle must be moving and it does require some distance to signal that deviation.
This is the system I was referring to. We had a 2014 CR-V and a 2017 Accord Hybrid with the ABS based system and it was not unusual to get false warnings. With the CR-V I had to buy a new tire at less than 20,000 miles and the nominal difference in tire size between it and the other three set off warnings even more often. I was recalibrating the system probably once a month with the 2014 POS system.

Top Bottom