Tire pressure - PR4’s

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I stick with 42 because:

Honda recommended it
I'm not that intune of a rider where I can tell the difference within a couple pounds or less
it makes putting it on the center stand much easier
it's the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life the Universe and Everything

So all around it works for me.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Get a digital gauge, like the one shown in this article. Any auto parts store should have them.

OK - what inflator/compressor do you use? My old B&D won't fit the rear tire - with the locking knob - just not enough room. And now I think I need air!
Thanks, John

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Can anyone recommend a tire inflator/compressor that works for the ST1300 rear tire?

I appreciate the recommendations for the future but I need to fill up my tires now. I wanna ride tomorrow!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Mine looks just like the one below, but is labeled with a different, unknown brand name. The power cord wraps around the body, the plug stores in a recess on the back, and the hose and chuck store in a recess in the end of the case.

The important feature for me was/is the 90-degree, quick-release chuck. A bike tire's small volume means that a small loss of air during disconnecting is a large percentage of total volume. I purposely inflate to 43 PSI to compensate.

Also, having a TPMS system makes the handlebar-mounted readout much easier to monitor during filling than the small divisions on the built-in gauge with the compressor on the ground. If I trust it while riding, I can trust it while filling.

1603505301202.png

Just curious, do you guys run a few psi lower in the colder weather? Heard a some guy talking about getting more “grip” in the fall weather on “colder” roads.
I’m currently running 42 psi front and rear.
I run mine at 42 psi

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The lever action chuck shown above is a necessary evil with most standard valve stems. That chuck on every air portable compressor I've had hits the hub on the rear tire and is tough to get to around the rotors of the front tire.

There are holes cast into the hub(s?) probably to drain water. There's one directly opposite the stem so I use that opening so the lever clears the hub. I always overfill the tire by a couple pounds to compensate for loosing air here or there. When the hose is off I can fine tune to 42.

The little round chuck would be much better if you didn't have to hold it in place for so long while a little pump slowly fills the tire. But I may switch to one because that's easier than fighting with the lever in tight quarters. Fill a car tire would then be annoying.

The T-valve stems mentioned are the way to go with TMPS caps. Otherwise the Ariete style "90º" stems are the way to go. I think there are straight metal stems that are a little shorter that the stock rubber stems on the ST. The 2 that came with my FOBO 2 kit look shorter than my factory stems. I haven't A-B'ed them though.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The lever action chuck shown above is a necessary evil with most standard valve stems. That chuck on every air portable compressor I've had hits the hub on the rear tire and is tough to get to around the rotors of the front tire.

There are holes cast into the hub(s?) probably to drain water. There's one directly opposite the stem so I use that opening so the lever clears the hub. I always overfill the tire by a couple pounds to compensate for loosing air here or there. When the hose is off I can fine tune to 42.

The little round chuck would be much better if you didn't have to hold it in place for so long while a little pump slowly fills the tire. But I may switch to one because that's easier than fighting with the lever in tight quarters. Fill a car tire would then be annoying.

The T-valve stems mentioned are the way to go with TMPS caps. Otherwise the Ariete style "90º" stems are the way to go. I think there are straight metal stems that are a little shorter that the stock rubber stems on the ST. The 2 that came with my FOBO 2 kit look shorter than my factory stems. I haven't A-B'ed them though.
Thank you, this is good info too. Can any of the 90 degree stems attach to me current stems? Or is that a replacement?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can any of the 90 degree stems attach to me current stems? Or is that a replacement?
The included FOBO short-stem valves and the T-valves are replacement valves.

There are 90º adapters that screw on to straight stems but those should only be used to fill the tire and removed immediately after filling. The weight of the metal adapters magnified by tire rotation will likely damage the valve given enough time.

Now if you have metal stems installed or have some method of supporting the 90º adapter to keep it from vibrating then that should for for full time duty. My buddy's 'Wing has factory 90º stems but there's an additional mount on the rim to hold the fill end in place. I don't recall if the entire stem is metal or not. A Winger here can advise.

Top Bottom