Tire Shopping in SoCal

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I stopped by the Temecula Motorsports looking at tires, since coming back from WeSTOC, I could see I was going to be replacing this second set of Road 5 GTs faster than I expected!

I checked on the Road 6 GTs, but they didn't even see any for the ST1300.

So I bought a set of Road 4 GTs. I'm not going back to the 5GTs. They just don't last!

That's interesting. I'm needing a new set also. Last two sets were Road 4 GT's and were very pleased as they got very good mileage. Thought about Road 5 GT's but can't find a pair online anywhere. Front tire nobody has. Same for the Road 4 GT's. Called Chapparral and the salesman said they can't get any more of either. Road 6's he was hoping Michelin would bring out the Road 6's in the GT version but hasn't heard of anything yet. Did Temecula Motorsports have any more Road 4's on hand and if so do they ship?

I stopped by the Temecula Motorsports looking at tires, since coming back from WeSTOC, I could see I was going to be replacing this second set of Road 5 GTs faster than I expected!

I checked on the Road 6 GTs, but they didn't even see any for the ST1300.

So I bought a set of Road 4 GTs. I'm not going back to the 5GTs. They just don’t last.
That’s not my experience with Road 5s. Too bad for you that yours wore so quickly. Tire pressure kept up?

That’s not my experience with Road 5s. Too bad for you that yours wore so quickly. Tire pressure kept up?

Yep, I've checked the tire pressure each trip.

I've done the same type of riding on the 2010 (PR 4GT) and the 2012 (PR 5GT), and I'm not happy with the 5s, both sets just didn't last very long. I will probably get another 1,500 miles and maybe if I do a lot of freeway miles (not mountain roads), I might get another 2K miles more out of the 5GTs on the 2012, but that is still very low mileage when I compare them to the tires on the 2010.

I have found my tire wear is directly related to my right hand wrist action. I have a set of PR5s on my 12 ST1300 and they seam to be wearing OK. They are on the pricey side and if they don't hold up well my next tires will be dark-side like my 07 ST1300.

Back
Top Bottom