Tire temperature

Tomorrow I will set a new TPMS on my st1300, what is the average tire temp on the bike tires?
thanks for the help in advance.
P.B.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You should set the pressure to specs, and see how the temperature rises with riding, which it will, along with pressure.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My TPMS shows the rear getting up to ambient + 10-13C, where the front is generally ambient +2-3C. Front pressure will rise from 42 to 46, and rear from 42 to 51psi.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Temp rise will vary with the kind of riding you are doing, ambient temperature of the air and road, and loading of the bike. Once you learn what your tires' pressure and temperature are under various conditions, you will be able to recognize an unusual temp/pressure situation.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I set my temp settings on my TPMS really high so the temp alarm never comes on. Tire temps are something we have no control over, so as long as your tire pressures are good when cold, don't worry about temps. My .02.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have an internal temp sensor, I measure about 40° F rise on the rear (over ambient) and 30°F rise on the front. I have seen 150°+ when out west on tour, not much you can do about it just know that the tire life is getting reduced. It's amazing how much just a little rain will cool the tires down. Also the temperature will drop pretty quick at first when you get off the highway, like within a mile of slowing down I can see the temps dropping.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
You should set the pressure to specs, and see how the temperature rises with riding, which it will, along with pressure.
Exactly.

Always set pressures when the tires are stone cold (for example, after having sat overnight in the garage). Temperature and pressure will rise once you start to ride. You don't need to be concerned with the pressure rise during riding, nor with the temperature rise during riding, as long as the pressures were set to spec when the tires were cold.

If you live in an area that has significant seasonal temperature variations (basically, anywhere that gets snow in the winter), you might see a 3 to 4 PSI pressure drop between July and November, assuming a perfect tire & wheel that has no leakage whatsoever. This is normal, just add a wee bit of air in the late fall to bring pressure up to spec. No need to remove air in the spring, because no tire is so perfect that it won't lose that amount of pressure over the winter. :)

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
All of which shows why we check cool pressure.
And that's all I do and care about. In these parts there's little temperature swing and even if there were I probably wouldn't care. Start out 'cold' and ride.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Exactly.

Always set pressures when the tires are stone cold (for example, after having sat overnight in the garage). Temperature and pressure will rise once you start to ride. You don't need to be concerned with the pressure rise during riding, nor with the temperature rise during riding, as long as the pressures were set to spec when the tires were cold.

If you live in an area that has significant seasonal temperature variations (basically, anywhere that gets snow in the winter), you might see a 3 to 4 PSI pressure drop between July and November, assuming a perfect tire & wheel that has no leakage whatsoever. This is normal, just add a wee bit of air in the late fall to bring pressure up to spec. No need to remove air in the spring, because no tire is so perfect that it won't lose that amount of pressure over the winter. :)

Michael
It is actually possible to adjust the pressure while tires are hot - as long as you know how much you need to add. If always look at the pressure in the morning (cold tire), and if it's low I simply note by how much (e.g. 2 psi). Once I return home (with hot tires) I then simply add 2 psi, so e.g. bring the tire from 46 psi to 48 psi. The next morning it will be 42 psi (more or less). Just saying that you don't have to wait until the tires cool off...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, forget tire temps.. they mean nothing.. but the pressure means everything... temps on the rear will typically be 10-20 degrees hotter than the front but it's not like a trailer where a hot wheel might be a bad bearing... our wheels would dissipate that kind of heat before it ends up meaning anything and the bearing would go far before the temps look all that abnormal.

The pressure is the main thing to care about.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I find my rear ST tire gets pretty hot on long rides, I'd like to think it the spirited riding but its more likely the rear wheel assembly acting as a heat sink for the engine, this calculator http://physics.bu.edu/~schmaltz/deflate.html could be used to estimate the highest probable temp/pressure

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I find my rear ST tire gets pretty hot on long rides, I'd like to think it the spirited riding but its more likely the rear wheel assembly acting as a heat sink for the engine, this calculator http://physics.bu.edu/~schmaltz/deflate.html could be used to estimate the highest probable temp/pressure
I think the rear tire temperature's greater increase has more to do with the ST's roughly 42%/58% F/R weight ratio and motive power transmitted thru the tire to the ground causing the tire to flex much more than a front tire does.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I think the rear tire temperature's greater increase has more to do with the ST's roughly 42%/58% F/R weight ratio and motive power transmitted thru the tire to the ground causing the tire to flex much more than a front tire does.
Rear has less airflow, sits in a warmer area, has larger road contact area, and of course all the friction from acceleration...

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
Talk to Tom Brady about pressures related to temperature.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
rear from 42 to 51psi.
9 psi is about a 21% rise in pressure on a 10-13C temperature rise, and all from a starting pressure that is about at target. Certainly not under-inflated. That is surprising and would be a bit alarming to me. The pressure rise from heating (pv=nrt and all that) by 13C should be about 2.3 psi.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
All I know is the rear wheel drive assembly after a long ride on a hot day on my ST1300 is really warm to the touch no idea what temp it gets to but a lot of that heat is being dissipated into the wheel rim, any got an infrared heat sensor?

We've just got our first snow fall so I won't be able to perform a live test till 2020 LOL

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I remember a friend who raced said he intentionally lowered cool pressure so the heat gain from flexing ended up with a higher pressure that was what he wanted when the tires were hot.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
9 psi is about a 21% rise in pressure on a 10-13C temperature rise, and all from a starting pressure that is about at target. Certainly not under-inflated. That is surprising and would be a bit alarming to me. The pressure rise from heating (pv=nrt and all that) by 13C should be about 2.3 psi.
agreed that the theoretical rise is around 2.3-ish based on the math for that temp rise, but it seems like most TPMS users report much more than that, not sure what explains it.

just to be anal about the pressure rise, absolute should be used instead of gauge pressure to compute the percentage rise, so instead of 21% (9/42) its about 16% rise (9/57).

Top Bottom