Tired of that faded tail light?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I checked my order history and the bulbs I ordered are no longer available. So, these are obviously the wrong socket type but the same idea.
1631048808935.png
Now on these which are the correct style one side is running light the other is the turn signal. If you take a peek into the tail secion of your STeed1300 you will see that the turn signal socket has only 2 wires, ground and power. The brake has 3 wires, power, ground running light. IIRC, could have these backwards. Anyway, the bulb sockets are the same for both the turn signal and the brake bulbs with one of these having an open spot for a 3rd wire. You can add a jumper wire between this empty spot and the running light power on the brake by stripping the end of a short wire, removing the bulb from the socket inserting the end of the wire and re-installing the bulb. I went one better and installed an OEM plug from an extra full harness that I had laying around.
1631048963530.png

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have LEDs all the way around on my girl as well. When I upgraded the tail lights I put Amber/Red switch backs into the turn signal positions. I then ran a wire from the Red side of the turn signal socket to the running light side of the running light/brake light socket. I now have a full tail of running lights to make me more visible and they change to amber when I signal a turn.
What does look like as running lights? Is it two orange and two red?

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Full red across.
How would that work with the amber lense? It has been a while but red and yellow make orange? I did "try" the amber running light, the harness connector was giving me a hard time, it was on the one I was selling so I put it back to stock with incandescent. Not giving up though, maybe someone can source the harness side connector.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How would that work with the amber lense? It has been a while but red and yellow make orange? I did "try" the amber running light, the harness connector was giving me a hard time, it was on the one I was selling so I put it back to stock with incandescent. Not giving up though, maybe someone can source the harness side connector.
Maybe a little orange but I like the increased visibility.PXL_20210908_010212902.jpgPXL_20210908_003139011.MP.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's the post and thread that started the turnsignal to brake mod. I'm a huge fan of aux brake lights that mimic a car/truck CHMSL. This mod adds surface area to brake lights almost if not doubling it.

An LED strobe controller like the superbrightleds' LSC100A could also briefly flash those converted turn signals before going solid on all within the factory lens assembly. No additional assemblies required.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
An early farkle I added was two auxiliary lighting kits: one in the reflective areas in the GIVI V42 top box, and the other an added lighting bar below the GIVI mounting plate. That way I always had at least one extra set of lights, even if I was riding without the top box or forgot to connect the pigtail.

There's no such thing as too much rear-facing light when you are activating brakes and / or turn signals, IMO.

All of these restore kits come with terrible top coat, which is the most important part since it is supposed to prevent future oxidation. After all the prep, I spray with a commercial 2-part in-a-can. After nearly 3 years, lenses are still like "new", whereas all the kits fade out in less than a year.
I did our two cars as well as the ST at the same time since once mixed this stuff has a 2 day shelf life.
Used this on my truck headlights after cleaning them.
The theory is that if/when the film gets hazy you can just peel it off and reapply and not have to worry about the lens itself.

3M Clear Paint Surface Protection Vinyl Film (6 Inch x 60 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_2HJ5HY8GX7WD6CV1ZDTW

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
An early farkle I added was two auxiliary lighting kits: one in the reflective areas in the GIVI V42 top box, and the other an added lighting bar below the GIVI mounting plate. That way I always had at least one extra set of lights, even if I was riding without the top box or forgot to connect the pigtail.

There's no such thing as too much rear-facing light when you are activating brakes and / or turn signals, IMO.
I'm of the same adage. Add more lights if you want more light.

This is what I did: 2 more lights and a flasher module for the brake.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'll just continue to use my $0 fix.
You Sir are very smart, I had seen these lights for a while and for $6… two hours later not including paint dry time, I have about as much light as a doused match. In order to not deal with it to much I decided to not use it as a bolt, so brackets where needed and when all wrapped up I need spacers to bring it out past the plate. I was in every junk drawer and corner of sheds. Geez free is awesome, I will never underestimate simplicity again (probably never). 154FC3D1-0D5B-41FC-9E5E-FD7FA1A18B9B.jpeg
E2692BCA-6E8E-4D9E-A76C-3D37B46891D1.jpeg

Top Bottom