tireguard elecronic tire pressure monitor

Bike
2005 ST1300
A friend of mine put these on his gold wing. Not the new version they just came out with that apears to mount inside the rim but the one with the caps that screw on the stem. Has any one tried these? Any chance of the caps leaking?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
The only issues I've heard of with these is the weight causing premature wear and breakage of rubber valve stems. Most people suggest only mounting them on rigid metal valve stems.

The biggest drawback, to me, is that I don't believe they continuously display the tire pressure and warn you effectively of impending doom. You need to periodically push the button to check. Certainly easier than bending down with a tire gauge, but not as useful as system which continuously monitor.

Really too bad SmarTire stopped supporting the motorcycle market. Just not enough business, I guess. Or maybe too many broken sensors.

OP
OP
Bob Bertich
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for the reply. I thought I read that it wood vibrate when the presure is now but that may be the new one that comes with it's own valvle stems that is 100.00 more.

sscharf

Really too bad SmarTire stopped supporting the motorcycle market. Just not enough business said:
Same here. I have the SmarTire, and love it. I rewired it so it is alway on. So the pressures sync up very quickly again. I don't understand, but it worked for me. I hope it keeps working for a long time, as it is a really great monitoring solution.

steve

Bike
2004 st1300
A friend of mine put these on his gold wing. Not the new version they just came out with that apears to mount inside the rim but the one with the caps that screw on the stem. Has any one tried these? Any chance of the caps leaking?

Had them on for about 3000 miles, a friend has had his on for 7000. no evidence of leakage. both are on rubber valve stems. I do have ariete angled valve stems on order from Two Brothers, so I'm read at the next tire change to install them.

psi dead nuts on with my gauge.

Bike
Goldwing
STOC #
I have them on both my ST and my Goldwing. I love them, would buy them again.
I’ve had them for about a year and a half and no leaks on mine.
They do read continuously and are within 1 psi of my external air gauge.

Rick

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Do these monitor tire temperature the way the SmarTire system does? Seems like it would not be able to do that, mounted outside the tire and in the breeze the way they are.

Systems that monitor and compensate for temperature can give you an earlier warning even if the actual current hot pressure is still above cold pressures set in the garage. If the hot pressure is not at the expected level based on temperature compensation, a warning will be displayed on the unit along with how many PSI below the expected pressure for that temperature is actually present. So do these units only alert you when the pressure drops below the cold set point, regardless of tire temperature? :confused:

I've seen hot running pressures of 50+PSI at tire temps of 150F and still received a warning of -7 PSI which would be 43+ PSI actual and still above the cold set point. In each of those cases there was indeed a puncture.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I have the tire guard, have had for about 1 year. On a trip to Nova Scotia, it gave me notice I had a leak. There was a very small puncture. I would buy them again, and the monitor constantly, and also by the push of a button, give the tire temp.

Bike
Goldwing
STOC #
Jeff,

The TireGard does measure temperature but I?m not sure how accurate that is. I checked my rear tire today when I got home from my commute and the TireGard read 95 degrees, and using an IR gun on the tire I measured about 99 degrees average (the cap of the sensor measured 85). The outside temp was about 70 when I made these measurements.
In addition, the pressure displayed on the Tiregard is actual pressure, which matched within 1 PSI of my external gauge.
You can set alarms for each tire for High and Low pressure and for High temperature. One feature of the alarms that I really like is that the display backlight will flash in Red if an alarm is tripped, which is really helpful for riding when it?s dark.

Rick

OP
OP
Bob Bertich
Bike
2005 ST1300
Do these monitor tire temperature the way the SmarTire system does? Seems like it would not be able to do that, mounted outside the tire and in the breeze the way they are.

Systems that monitor and compensate for temperature can give you an earlier warning even if the actual current hot pressure is still above cold pressures set in the garage. If the hot pressure is not at the expected level based on temperature compensation, a warning will be displayed on the unit along with how many PSI below the expected pressure for that temperature is actually present. So do these units only alert you when the pressure drops below the cold set point, regardless of tire temperature? :confused:

I've seen hot running pressures of 50+PSI at tire temps of 150F and still received a warning of -7 PSI which would be 43+ PSI actual and still above the cold set point. In each of those cases there was indeed a puncture.
I dont think they are as sophisticated and the SmarTire. I am pretty sure they only allert you wthen it goes below the cold setting. Since the SmarTire is no longer available I think this is a good alternative. If you do have a leak you really are not going to have any kind of a handling issue until the pressure goes below 42 PSI any way. It would be better to have the alert sooner but still beneficial if you only get it under 42.

OP
OP
Bob Bertich
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks again for all of your replies. I am sold I can't wait to get them. Unfortunatly I have to make an unscheduled trip back to AZ and will have to put them off for a month. I will send out a post once I install them.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I just got the Tiregard. The front sensor works fine. The rear does not work on the metal right angle valve stem I have. Not sure what type stem it is.
Any ideas? Maybe the valve stem needle is too far down? I don't hear the air hiss when I screw it on like I did on the front one.

Interesting thing about the right angle stem. I have them on both my front and rear. Both of my sensors are reading about 4lbs too high. I am trying to find their web site to see if I can calibrate the unit but now I think i have to call the company to talk to them about this issue. Will keep everyone posted.

The right angle stems do not affect the performance. I called customer service and was informed the sending units work off of Centrifical force. Therefore just turning on the remote would not provide accurate information. You simply have to move the motorcycle a few feet and the units will start to send data. It was also recommended that you let the unit turn itself off, this way it is provided with the latest data the next time you turn it on.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm curious where people have their display unit. Right now I velcroed it to the top of the front brake fluid reservoir.

OP
OP
Bob Bertich
Bike
2005 ST1300
Finally got it installed. I went with the internally mounted sesors. The system works great. It comes preprogramed to give you alerts via a beep or vibration for low tire pressure, high tire pressure as well as high temperature. you can customize these numbers to what ever you want. the only draw back to the internally mounted sesores is the rear stem is too long. there is not enough clearence between the inside of the rim and the top of the stem to fit most tire pressure hoses at the gas station. I have a small manual pump with a flexible hose and a thin screw on type end that works fine. I also had to buy a new tire presure gage because of the lack of clearence. I wanted to be able to check manually to know just how accurate the sensors were. the front sensor is right on the money. the rear sesor reads 1.5 psi low. the hassle of the clearencce is worth the convenience of being able to check the pressure with the push of a button. if i had to do it again i would get short strait metal stems and go with the cheaper system wiht the montor caps. once you turn the monitor on it stays on so you can check the pressure when ever you want just by looking at it. since it has the vibrating alert i just leave mine in my pocket I check it again when i get to my destination and again when i am ready to leave. it was intersting to see how much more the rear tire heats up and there fore builds up more pressure. probably one of the reasons we wear out the rear tires first. i always thought it was just do to the torque being exerted on the rear tire during acceleration. that is probably the bigest factor but the extra heat must affect the wear as well.

Top Bottom