Tires lots of tires......

I ride a 2006 ST1300 and looking for a set of tires that handle well but will deliver more than 8-10 thousand miles. This has likely been discussed previously but with the constantly changing options I wanted to get thoughts on the latest crop of tires. Thanks.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
ST s are heavy bikes and tires have deal with weight and rider
In my opinion it’s an expected expense regardless of meeting 8k just as insurance or good riding gear or normal wear parts.
- some here find brands they claim greater than your desire.

Gets down to riding style(aggressive/conservative), road conditions, slab runs, condition of your suspension and braking technique. I’ve alway ran the GT series PR 4, 5’s after the factory Battleax wore out. I ride long distance slab and bi ways and in the rain. So I want good grip and groves in a bias tire that puts the hard rubber in the middle, softer on the sides and holds on wet roads.

that being said of late hard to find the PR 4 or 5 GTs. So I’m going back to the Battleax for now. But when available again I am going to invest in a spare pair and have a set on hand for future. Prices are not coming down.

Some folk like the Angel GT others go with the Metzler brand. Read up on road and ride style and make sure the tire is recommended for heavy bikes. or like some go dark side car tires. It does make a difference in how it handles.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ride a 2006 ST1300 and looking for a set of tires that handle well but will deliver more than 8-10 thousand miles. This has likely been discussed previously but with the constantly changing options I wanted to get thoughts on the latest crop of tires. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

After putting on more than 398,000 miles on five different ST1300s, the most I have ever gotten from a "set" of tires, on any of my ST1300s, has been around 11,000 miles. That was when I was commuting and spent many miles (125 miles a day) on freeways.

The only folks that I know that have gotten more than that have been the ones that have gone darkside (car tires) on the rear.

Although there have been a "few" that have gone over that with a bike tires, but I have no clue how they do it!

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I haven't tried it on ST, but I have gotten 15k-miles from Shinko Raven 009 on my VFR. Also 16k-miles from Bridgestone BT45s on my commuter. Going on 10k-miles now with rear Kenda KM-1 on my Valkyrie, probably get to 13-14k-miles.

Some VFRs have gotten to 17k-miles on KM-1s and still going. One of my friends with Goldwing got 18k-miles from Michelin Commander II.

Trick to maximising tyre life is to not over-inflate them. Current suggested max-inflation pressures are for GVWR (fully loaded w/passenger = 1118lbs) AND traveling at top-speed rating of tyre itself for minimum of 1-hour (w=168mph). Which is way, way more stress than any of us can do just cruising down freeway. Also very risky with lower traction for braking & cornering with such tiny contact patches.

I remember back when owner's manual would give optimum tyre pressures for performance and wear. Then some conflicts occurred with tyre makers and now they're all suggesting max-inflation pressures for everything! Same 36/42 on small CB or R3 as for VFR? Ridiculous!

When I first started tracking my VFR, I was still using "max-inflation" and got just one day out of Dunlop Q2 tyres. Having learned from set-up guru Dave Moss, I lowered pressures and got 3-days from set of Q3+. That's 3x the mileage from softer tyres too! Now I use 33F/31R for street and 31/28 for track on most tyres. Pirellis get even lower 29/23 on track.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SVRiders/comments/6fw939

Last edited:
OP
OP
yamaha125250
ST s are heavy bikes and tires have deal with weight and rider
In my opinion it’s an expected expense regardless of meeting 8k just as insurance or good riding gear or normal wear parts.
- some here find brands they claim greater than your desire.

Gets down to riding style(aggressive/conservative), road conditions, slab runs, condition of your suspension and braking technique. I’ve alway ran the GT series PR 4, 5’s after the factory Battleax wore out. I ride long distance slab and bi ways and in the rain. So I want good grip and groves in a bias tire that puts the hard rubber in the middle, softer on the sides and holds on wet roads.

that being said of late hard to find the PR 4 or 5 GTs. So I’m going back to the Battleax for now. But when available again I am going to invest in a spare pair and have a set on hand for future. Prices are not coming down.

Some folk like the Angel GT others go with the Metzler brand. Read up on road and ride style and make sure the tire is recommended for heavy bikes. or like some go dark side car tires. It does make a difference in how it handles.
Good info on some options that I was not aware of, thanks!

OP
OP
yamaha125250
Welcome to the forum!

After putting on more than 398,000 miles on five different ST1300s, the most I have ever gotten from a "set" of tires, on any of my ST1300s, has been around 11,000 miles. That was when I was commuting and spent many miles (125 miles a day) on freeways.

The only folks that I know that have gotten more than that have been the ones that have gone darkside (car tires) on the rear.

Although there have been a "few" that have gone over that with a bike tires, but I have no clue how they do it!
Thanks, I hear stories of 20,000 miles and wonder if there even possible.

Bike
VStrom 650
In the UK they're usually shot by 5 to 6K, the Bridgestone GT's should serve you well. T32's are probably the pick of the bunch.
Upt.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I had a T32 that last only about 6K miles to almost the cords. I replaced it with Dunlop RS3 which lasted 11K. Just replaced that with Dunlop RS4. I won't be going back to Bridgestone.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
It‘s like buying a car, everyone has their favourite model
Read up on the different models.
Here is mine as I find they are the stickiest and last the longest for me.

Top Bottom