To those that have ever ridden a Harley...

Prior to my ST I had a HD TC88 and it was great around town but to compare to an ST as the speeds increase you will miss the handling and the brakes big time. Just cruise around and enjoy. Don,t forget you have to wear black and shorty helmet.:biker:

OP
OP
Harleys are much better bikes then most folks ( Me included ) give them credit for, depending on the model , they can be a very comfy ride, I've ridden my brothers Fat boy and it's OK, but when compared to the Ultra Classic I've ridden it's a pig, but that Ultra was almost every bit as comfy as a Gold Wing, at idle it's engine looks like it's about to jump out of the frame, but add a little power and it smooth's right out, if I could afford one, I'd buy one,

Any of the FLH series of bikes, Ultra's , Road kings, etc are nice rides for touring, the soft tails, Heritages, Fat Boys ETC are ok and can be made much better with aftermarket suspension, same with the Dyna's, but I would say both these series of bikes ride more like Japanise bike's with poor suspension.

But the bottom line is, (to me) when it comes to cruisers, nothing looks or sounds as good as a Harley, but to me, their very much, over priced , old technology, pieces of American art work, and if I was wealthy, and I allready had one of all the rest of the bikes I love, I would love to but one. but for now, I ride a ST and a XX
Well put, I already have 4 other bikes that satiate my performance appetite so I think the HD will be good for exactly what it is, getting some quality time in with the wife and father in law, all bases will be covered.

Well I'm biased but the M109R :bannana will give you more of everything for your money. Harley's old technology (V Rod excepted) at 2020 prices doesn't cut it for me! Sorry JMHO!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Ron, ya got me. I'm embarassed to say that that's the EXACT reason I'm considering getting one. The wife says she'll ride with me if I get a Harley and she want's to get in on the social aspect. I tell her she'll actually have a better riding experience on the ST and she has ridden passenger a handful of times but she's an ol' country gal and loves the rumble. Perhaps a set of Two Brothers will passify her for the time being? :D
Sorry Man but this IS embarrassing. I can't ride with you because I don't own a Harley??:nuts1: :work5: High School crap...

We'll I guess you should say You can't ride with me because you don't have an ST..Give me a break..

I'd say see you later..I'll be out riding. Get a cardboard cut out of one and stand by in a parking lot with the rest of them. Probably a decent bike but that attitude absolutely FRIES me...especially if it was by your own relatives no less..Good luck with that.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Harley's aren't for everyone, but they are not as bad as some here would have you believe. I think some members have an anti-harley bias that borders on snobbery. But then that's just my opinion.

I ride my FXDL to work every day and a lot on the weekends and its a well engineered bike. Its ergonomics are designed for slower speed riding and trucking at 75 mph down the interstate is not its forte. However, its low center of gravity, narrow width, and low seat height make it ideal for riding around town or cruising backroads at a nice pace. All Harleys share these characteristics and its part of the appeal of the brand. There are a lot of people who have no desire to bomb down the backroads at 30 mph over the yellow curve signs or chew up miles on the interstate.

The bikes vibrate at idle, but once you let out the clutch and roll on the throttle the engine smooths out nicely. At crusing speed, about 3000 rpm it feels no different than my ST, excpet for the wind in my face.

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Harley's aren't for everyone, but they are not as bad as some here would have you believe. I think some members have an anti-harley bias that borders on snobbery. But then that's just my opinion.
I agree with you to a point. IMHO, if you ride a Harley because you like the looks, like the sound, like to cruise, want to be part of "the in crowd", that's fine with me. Where I draw the line are the HD riders who sneer at my "Jap Crap" and tell me how superior their Harleys are. I just ask them in what way they are superior and, 9 times out of 10, I get the "you wouldn't understand" reply.

We all just need to ride our ride. And if our paths should cross, you'll get a wave from me whatever you're riding.

Fred :03biker:

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
We all just need to ride our ride. And if our paths should cross, you'll get a wave from me whatever you're riding.

Fred :03biker:
I agree 100 percent. For the record I give the anyotherbikebutaharleyiscrap guys on the other forums as much grief as I give you guys here:). A few uninformed souls thought their sportsters could keep up with my Honda "touring bike" until this weekend. I guess they didn't know that the 1300 in ST1300 stood for "CCs" They were quite surprised that it could accelerate and corner like it did.

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
Big Tom is right, it's not about the technology, it's about taking care of Momma's needs.

..."If Mamma's not happy, nobody's happy".

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Used to run down the highway on an old "Duo Glide" was not a bad bike..
(NEVER forget to retard the spark before you kick start one DAMHIK)..
Fairly comfortable bike on the open road...
Also used to ride a 1000CC Sportster... That was NOT a fun ride... would
literally beat you to death.. With a pillon, it was good for about 50 miles
between rest stops.... Does not matter to me what you ride, it's all about
what "trips your trigger"...

Putt...

I ride my FXDL to work every day and a lot on the weekends and its a well engineered bike. Its ergonomics are designed for slower speed riding and trucking at 75 mph down the interstate is not its forte. However, its low center of gravity, narrow width, and low seat height make it ideal for riding around town or cruising backroads at a nice pace. All Harleys share these characteristics and its part of the appeal of the brand. There are a lot of people who have no desire to bomb down the backroads at 30 mph over the yellow curve signs or chew up miles on the interstate.

The bikes vibrate at idle, but once you let out the clutch and roll on the throttle the engine smooths out nicely. At crusing speed, about 3000 rpm it feels no different than my ST, excpet for the wind in my face.
If there is a snobbery here it's more than likely reciprocal, and even more likely the result of someone else throwing the first jab. As is the case with me, I have caught my limit of sneers and condesending remarks from some Harley owners.

Let's call a spade a spade here. How many ST owners walk up to a Harley owner and ask him when is he going to buy a "real bike"?

I think any anti-Harley undertones here seem to have more to do with some of the people riding them, and that culture.

Moreover, most ST riders have an appreciation for good handling, well balanced bikes. Something a Harley is not or even tries to be.

As is the case with me, I have caught my limit of sneers and condesending remarks from some Harley owners.
Me too, but I find more often than not curiosity mixed with some mutual respect. Bikers mostly seem to just enjoy talking about bikes. Any kind of bike.

My last bike was an 05 Harley FLHTI (Electraglide Standard). I put 23k miles in two years (which is a lot for me) and had no problems. None. The machines wonderfully simple and primal, with stump-pulling torque. They are no sport bike and you have to go easy in the corners, but I've road long days in the saddle without problem. They are built to last ... I must say there's something special about riding an HD and I miss it. I sold mine becuase I wanted a sport tourer, and the Electraglide will tour but not sport. I'm looking forward to enjoying more sporting riding. Maybe one day I'll have an HD in the stable again... preferably in addition to the ST1100.

-bluelab

KAJ

This may be a long shot, but if you are interested in a great Harley ride and on one that is probably the best handling Harley....... I have a 1997 FXD Superglide for sale, lots of extras, proper maintenance, 42K miles. All for $7950. The bike it about 30 miles north of Atlanta.

I am selling it so that I can get a ST.

Attachments

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Ron, ya got me. I'm embarassed to say that that's the EXACT reason I'm considering getting one. The wife says she'll ride with me if I get a Harley and she want's to get in on the social aspect. I tell her she'll actually have a better riding experience on the ST and she has ridden passenger a handful of times but she's an ol' country gal and loves the rumble. Perhaps a set of Two Brothers will passify her for the time being? :D

My wife and I can ride my FXDL a lot longer than we can ride the ST. The ST still has a stock seat and the FXDL has a touring seat. The touring seat is long, wide and really comfortable. I have three different palces to put my feet on the FXDL and floorboards for the wife so shifting positions to take pressure off different parts of the anatomy is a breeze.

I'm still trying to decide what to do about the seat on the ST. I'm thinking of doing the spencer mod first since its a lot cheaper than a corbin or sargent seat. I wish it had highway pegs and since it has the fairing deflectors I can't use those that fit into the side bumpers.

Top Bottom