Tonight's $500 find

STOC #
2003 Suzuki Savage LS650

Runs well (drove it home), front pegs are bent and the turn signal stalks are damaged from being dropped by the seller's son while he was learning.

Unfortunately, said son also hooked jumper cables up to the bike incorrectly after leaving the lights on one night. The resulting excitement melted some some of the wiring and wire connectors for the rectifier/regulator and the stator. :doh1: The wiring has been patched up, but the bike will not charge. There's a couple wire connections I'm going to rework while I test the charging system out tomorrow after the battery gets a full charge.

Oh, and the local bike shop? They quoted him $1,000 to replace the R/R and the stator. :rofl1: Now you know why he was looking to sell it for $500, lol

Amy/Lycoris is going to use it for her learner, as she's just not comfortable with the weight and size of my GS850. If she moves up to the bigger GS, fine... I'll flip the 650. If not, I'll probably sell the 850.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
$500? You did well!

Hey, why the name change -- you goin' Sybil on us?
:p:
Just thought I'd make it easier for folks, so that way instead of telling them "hi, I'm Jason... Raven457 on the boards" I could just say "JasonFJ", which is my name and initials... probably confusing people even more, lol :p:

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
Went through and tested out the stator and the rectifier/regulator Tuesday night. The stator tested as really really bad, and the R/R tested as sorta bad... so the local shop wasn't lying, they were just looking to make a small fortune. Oh well, their loss.

I already have a new stator and R/R on the way, along with a generator cover gasket, a new spark plug, an oil filter (I have two gallons of oil sitting on the shelf) and an air filter to replace the disgusting one that's in there now. My parts cost total is $190 currently, still need to snag some replacement foot pegs and a battery box right side cover once some cheap ones come up on Ebay or Craigslist

The rest of the bike is in pretty good shape aside from some scratches and a few small dings on the tank. The tires have a decent bit of life left in them, and the belt looks OK too. Oh, and insurance is only going to be 96 a year for liability, comprehensive, and UIM... nice an' cheap! =)

Most of the parts shipped today, so I'm hoping to have it done in the next couple of weeks.

OP
OP
JasonFJ
STOC #
New stator and R/R installed on the LS650 Savage, bike fires right up and holds a steady 13.7v now. $500 + $200 in parts and about 2 hours of work. I practically stole it. What a fun bike though. Easy to ride, hits 70mph without complaint, quiet exhaust. I still need to adjust the shift linkage, change the spark plug, replace the air filter and change the oil, but I'm lazy and wanted to ride it tonight.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Just thought I'd make it easier for folks, so that way instead of telling them "hi, I'm Jason... Raven457 on the boards" I could just say "JasonFJ", which is my name and initials... probably confusing people even more, lol :p:

Bahhhhh!! That doesn't show any creativity at all!! LOL!!

Top Bottom