Too good to be true?

Bike
VStrom 650
Kawasaki says, Acceleration of a 1000 cc superbike, outright performance in the 650cc-700cc class and fuel economy comparable to a 250cc bike.
Interesting. But I'm guessing expensive. Coming to old blighty in 2024.
Upt.
2024 Kawasaki Ninja 7 HEV Review Details Price Spec_07.jpg

How much is the Ninja 7 Hybrid? We don’t know yet. And because the bike is unlike anything else on the market it’s hard to even make a guess at where Kawasaki might choose to position it.

On one hand, it’s a technology showpiece, with innovations unseen elsewhere. Name another sports bike with an electronic transmission that can be operated in either manual or auto mode, even offering a reverse function, and features an ‘e-boost’ button to give an kick of extra power and torque when you call for it. On the other, the outright power is on a par with the Ninja 650, a bike that also donates its modest forks and brakes, and the rear suspension is akin to the Ninja 400, suggesting Kawasaki is keeping a careful cap on costs to make sure the Ninja 7 Hybrid is within reach.

Given that the all-electric Ninja e-1, available from October and with substantially less performance and on-board tech than the Ninja 7 Hybrid, costs £8,299, it would be surprising to see the Ninja 7 Hybrid with a price any lower than that.

My own view, very interesting bike and you can see how the technology could develop. I can't see it selling for much under £10,000 in England. Maybe a lot more but who'd pay 10K plus for a 650cc equivalent motorcycle?
I think it'll probably be sold at under cost when it's released but when volume increases maybe they'll make some wonga.
Upt.

Last edited:

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
That's going to be interesting to know how they packed a hybrid system in there with a ?? Kw battery and gas tank, wow. Might be a tad heavier than a 650?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, Toyota's been at top of hybrid tech.

Now they've got EV with 750-mile range and 10-minute charging time! :)
A few years down the road yet though. Will it be economically viable? Hope so because it is this tech that will allow the whole shut down of ICE's to happen.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
A few years down the road yet though. Will it be economically viable? Hope so because it is this tech that will allow the whole shut down of ICE's to happen.

I think I saw one of these around in middle of night in Safeway parking lot. But it was more sleek without creases and pointy features. More bullet-like with symmetrical sides... Should've gotten photo...

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I didn't expect this push for EV and Hybrid motorcycles to come from Kawasaki, can't say why but I thought a Chinese Tesla equivalent or Honda may be on the front foot. But not Kawasaki.
But good on them but I'm not saying that in a tree hugging, vegan, no leather shoes type of viewpoint. Having just bought a 1 litre 48 Volt mild hybrid Crossover Utility I am amazed at not only the economy of these things but also just how well they go. This 1000cc car strapped to a self charging mild hybrid is easily as quick as my previous 2 litre diesel Beemer and more economic by at least 10%.
Maybe in a motorcycle that will be more challenging to achieve, in a car I don't mind the gearbox and engine being disconnected by the brain or the operating system changing from giving to taking without any operator interaction, but on a bike, I dunno. I can feel these things going on and that's OK, but going into sailing mode when entering a bend may be entertaining.
We'll see.
Upt.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I think here in the US, people would be concerned about buying some brands of EV (like Rivian or Lucid) as they are burning through cash quickly and you don’t know if the company will be here in the next 3-5 years, so if not, you have a brick you can’t use. The only other concern is if you keep it long enough and need a new battery pack, will the company support it years down the road (happened to the Chevy Spark EV- replacement battery pack is NOT available). I’m in the camp that if I needed a new car/ SUV, I’d likely want a hybrid (and not even a plug in type hybrid).

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That's going to be interesting to know how they packed a hybrid system in there with a ?? Kw battery and gas tank, wow. Might be a tad heavier than a 650?
Appears to be an ICE engine with an emotor on the back where the intake would be. (note the red and black power connections on the top)
Assume it's connected down into the transmission.
An extra gear could effectively disconnect the power from the ICE and switch it to the EM to make the transmission spin like normal.
Batteries then go under the seat-ish area.

2024-kawasaki-ninja-7-hybrid-first-look.jpg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think we're pretty early in the change or evolution to more advanced hybrid and / or EV vehicles. If you're living and working in an urban area then an EV might very well work for you. If you're in a rural area, maybe not. If you're pulling a 25' - 30 RV, then ICE is the way to go. In 10 - 15 years all this could change.

Retired, bike aside, we're now a 1 car family. 90%+ of the driving we do an EV would work for us. The remaining 10% is long distance trips and some light trailer towing, so ICE it is for now. Vehicle is 3.5 years old and will keep another 4 years or so. We'll see what the charging network, range and tow capability EV's have when a replacement is required.

If we were a 2 vehicle family, then one would probably be an EV at this point in time.

Governments need to be aggressively building power generation capacity. Lead times for this are often 10+ years. Many of us are going to in EV's in 10, 15 or 20 years from now facing power shortages at the rate things are moving.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Appears to be an ICE engine with an emotor on the back where the intake would be. (note the red and black power connections on the top)
Assume it's connected down into the transmission.
An extra gear could effectively disconnect the power from the ICE and switch it to the EM to make the transmission spin like normal.
Batteries then go under the seat-ish area.

2024-kawasaki-ninja-7-hybrid-first-look.jpg
A very neat unit, I believe it may be 450 cc or thereabouts.
The future just arrived......early......maybe?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
EV doesn't make sense from efficiency viewpoint. There's no batteries that are 100% efficient. Roundtrip store and retrieve from battery is at best 90%.

Better off using that power right away when it's generated to power vehicle. Like hybrids. :)

Top Bottom