tool advice needed

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Well its time for my first oil change and I have a problem. I have no metric tools. I am not mechanically inclined, but I am going to do my own oil changes and minor maintenance. What are the most common sockets and wrenches needed to accomplish these tasks? I have standard sockets and wrenches, but no metrics at all. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Suprdav

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
To change the oil you need 1 wrench or socket for the oil plug and a filter wrench.
If memory serves the oil plug is a 16mm

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
It's a 17mm on the oil drain plug. If you don't want to spend much money on tools, go to Harbor Freight and pick up a metric socket set, a T handle metric hex set, and a metric socket hex set. If you plan on removing your wheels, you will need a 24mm and a 27mm socket as well as some hex bits. You can also pick up a cheap torque wrench at HF. You could probably pick all these up at HF for under $75.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
In my experience, these are the most common sizes.

8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and I believe 24mm.

It's probably best to use 6 point wrenches (spanners for those overseas) and sockets for a more secure fit on the fasteners.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Can't say on the 1300 but on the 1100 it's a 17mm hex. Is the 1300 oil drain an Allen head or a hex?

Go to yur local Lowes or Home Depot (or Sears/KMart or True Value) and get a set of 3/8 drive metric sockets from 8 to ?? (usually 17.) For more detailed work, you'll need a few additional larger sockets, depending on the sizes for things like axle nuts (the rear wheel on a 1300 needs a 17mm Allen on the axle end, don't know what size the nut is.)

Some specialty tools are available from various sources for loan, like wheel bearings and steering bearings. Cheaper to pay postage on those kits than to build yur own.

Also, get a decent set of metric box-open wrenches.

If I was building a new metric tool box right now, I'd go to Lowes. I like the look of their house brand and it's all life-time guaranteed.

Add a few screwdrivers and you'll be good to go for most any maintenance. Probably worth it to find some Japanese Phillips screw drivers, their tip is just a littl different than our 'Merican style. (This little fact helps 'splain why we have all stripped out the heads on Honda screws for years!)

For the high priced spread, go to aerostich.com and buy their titanium stuff. Too Kuul! :D

For the cheep-cheep cheap, go to Harbor Freight. Save yur money for gas 'n tars.

While yur at it, put together a small kit to carry on the bike. Cruz tools (or Aerostich again) have prepared kits for "on the road." I carry enuff stuff to do virtually all the standard maintenance but most don't need that much. Carry at least enuff to pull the wheels and/or fix a flat.

(My tool box contains everything from pot-metal junk to NAPA and Craftsman. I can never find what I need and most of what I have never gets used. Can't close most of the drawers on my rolling box because they're stuffed with time-collected tools. I have a separate handled box with all my inch size stuff, still use some of that occasionally but not often. BTW, 1 1/8" is 27mm, 9/16 is 14mm.)

Prolly more than ya wanted to hear but I could go on and on and...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If you want my advice, buy a set of metric combination wrenches and a set of sockets and be done with it. The expense will more than cover the time and aggravation you'll burn up when you get halfway through a job, realize you don't have a socket in a size you need and have to get cleaned up and go find one.

For wrenches and sockets, you'll want to cover least 7mm to 16mm. A 27mm socket is required to remove the rear wheel. A set of sockets with hex bits that covers 4mm to 10mm is optional but highly recommended.

--Mark

OP
OP
suprdav

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Thanks guys, it looks like I'm off to Sears on my lunch break.
Ride Well
Suprdav

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Oops, I forgot about the 6mm wrench for tightening the clamps under the carbs on the ST1100.

Right John O?

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Get a nice socket set from Sears with both SAE and METRIC sockets. My kit has both regular and deep sockets. Also, pick up a decent set of allen wrenches.

For what you want to do that'll be all you need.

You may want to pick up an oil container that will lay under the bike and catch the oil. This is much easier than just using an open pan.

One more thing you will want is the Honda Oil Filter Tool. It grabs the oil filter and turns it off with your socket driver. VERY HELPFUL.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

As a price effective alternative, you might find some very nice tools at a pawn shop? The usually sell for about 50% off what they went for new. At least they do in my neck of the woods! I'm becoming quite fond of the gearwrench ratcheting box/open end combos!!!:clap2:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
As mentioned 17mm for the drain bolt. Don't over tighten it.
Sets are much cheaper than individual sizes until you get to the odd ball ones like the rear axle etc. There is a thread around here somewhere listing all the commone sizes for carrying on the road.

OP
OP
suprdav

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I did go to Sears on my lunch break and got sockets, sockets with allens, and a combo wrench set all for about $65. I think this is kinda like farkles, only the beginning.
Thanks for all the help
Suprdav

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
That's perfect !

You'll figure out what you really need as you go along.

When you have some serious work to be done host a SuprdavSTOC !!!

People will be anxious to bring the AMAZING tools to your house !

Top Bottom