Top box locks - ain't very secure...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
... is a thing I learnt today. Excuse the story, if you've no appetite for reading.

Starting where all good stories start, at the beginning, yesterday while locking up my left pannier/saddle bag as I was leaving the office, the top box key got caught in the clasp as I closed the clasp. That bent the key a good 60 degrees or so. About 3 secs later, I figure "well, it won't work like that anyway, I might as well carefully try & straighten it."

Luckily, and to my shock, that worked. But now the key had a crack running almost all the way through it, and we all know it's only a matter of time until that snaps in the lock. Nothing I could do about it at that time, so I rode home. Carefully using the key to access the top box worked, but when inside, I looked up the nearest locksmiths to my office for the next day (today).

Today, at lunch time, I popped into the locksmiths with the key, he fumbled about and got something that looked about right. Fair price paid, and I get both keys handed to me. Right as he's handing me the keys he says "keep hold of the old one, if the new one doesn't work, come back and I'll sort you out." Right there, while still in his hand, the original key snapped. "You know, I trust you, I'll give it a whirl, and I've got some blu-tac to keep that together & come back if it doesn't work," was my reply.

Immediately, I go to the bike, key works like a charm. Happy days, so I throw away the old key. About 6 hours later, I'm leaving the office, I go to the bike, throw the work laptop in the topbox no problem, happy days, key works like a charm.

I get home, nope. The lock ain't moving. I jiggle things around, nope, no joy. Lets not forget my work laptop is now inside the locked topbox too, and I have work to do tomorrow. Oh oh.

Aha! A brainwave strikes me. Last Christmas, I bought the 16yr old (wants to be an engineer) a professional lock picking set, and some practice (see-through) locks. He's not home, but I know where the kit is... I wonder...

I won't name the tools, but I will say 2 pieces from that kit, and I can open the top box at least as quick (if not quicker) than if I were using the key! A casual passer-by would not know that the lock was being picked. An ST rider/member of this forum might think it's odd using both hands to undo the lock, but that's about all you'd see. I was genuinely shocked how easy it was to pick.

So, yeah, top box locks ain't particularly secure.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm confused as to why the topbox key worked like a charm at work, then stopped working entirely when you got home?

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
On investigation after picking the lock, where I could fiddle some more, it seems that the key is slightly too long for the keyway.

If I fully insert the key, it doesn't work, but then if I apply clockwise pressure and pull it back about 2mm, it works OK. I must have just hit the sweet-spot every time when I'd tried it before. I'll bet that 2mm is enough for at least one pin to drop inside the lock, after the key has been inserted too far.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Locks sole purpose is to keep the honest folks honest.

Rule number one is never throw the original key away, even if its broken. You might take the copy back and ask him to re cut the key so that it works when bottomed out against the shoulder.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to do the very same thing with a key I found that was "close enough" in my dad's locked desk drawer at the city swimming pool. They kept the swim lessons money in there and I was only 12 yo and hungry for a snack and all alone at the pool one day. I put a mark on the key I found about 2 mm short of the shoulder so if I held it back that far it worked like it was made for the desk. :cool:

No, top case locks are not as secure as many think. Even the saddlebag case locks aren't. The latch on the seat of my Burgman is slightly better 'cuz it has a metal bar over the latch so you cannot get a tool in there but still can be broken into (I have 50 L of storage under the seat).

Top Bottom