Top case - what do you carry in it

I usualy use it for easy storage of my riding gear ( helmet, balaclava, gloves ect.) It is very convenient.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Room for the helmet, gloves, shoes for stops and walks instead of the riding boots, extra water bottle/snack and small microfibre towel for various things, mostly visor cleaning. That's about it.

Bike
2007 ST1300
A soft-sided cooler. I love having ice for keeping bottled water cold and more importantly, the end-of-day beer. It’s also great in hot weather to have a sizeable source of water (ice melt) to soak my cooling vest (I pour the ice melt into the top case to soak my vest - putting the vest directly in the cooler would be gross!).

I try not to load it too full (reduce weight) until the last stop of the day.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Recently switched from too much to not sure it's enough. Always the top case bag, a 3 legged small stool to sit wherever, baby wipes, visor when removed, small towel, use to do clothes, now the layers I'm taking off or know I'm putting on, TP, Espresso maker(not kidding), couple of water bottles, toiletries when camping. Going back to paper maps and I'm sure they will be in there.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Small tools, flashlight, emergency med kit, a couple bottles of water, hat, spare t-shirt, small towel, and gloves.

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Mostly mine sits in garage filled with any unused bag liner and any helmet I'm not using. Really I only use it when I'm going on a trip. On trips it's usually full of stuff I may want to get to easy and helmet storage. Been thinking about lining it and adding Velcro camera bag dividers to make it more user friendly.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Not a matter of the weight in my case. I just prefer to have an easy and convenient place to put those things as I hate carrying a helmet around with me.
+1

Interestingly enough, I'm out running errands today and I took off my top box for the fislrst time in a long time to try it "clean". I'm finding it very annoying when I stop. :confused:

Last edited:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
If I'm camping, I put my sleeping bag up there (because it's bulky and light) and whatever other small items will fit - gloves, scarf etc. Otherwise I leave it mostly empty so I can put my helmet in there along with gloves, scarf, small soft cooler, hat, sunglasses etc.

Bike
ST1100
When I thavel, usually I have in the top box sneakers, clothes, light jacket, everything I need to stay in the hotel and put on me while walking down discovering the city for example.
Very convenient to unlatch top box and carry it along like a normal suitcase.

Bike
ST1300
I usually carry spare gloves, silk balaclava, cigarette lighter outlet for the 12v pump, usb for various accessories all wired in, a expresso maker (Wacaco hand pump), Thermos hot water when out and about, a few muselie bars ,small drinking water, mobile phone, small first aid kit, hat and camera.

Phantom

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Wifes stuff.maps I pad & chargers.pens , sharpies,Brio pad,contact list.
Solo riding I save Aton of weight.(in luggage);)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve been reworking this over the past couple of days. I only use the top box when I go on an extended trip, I also like to keep the weight to a minimum.
For the Newfoundland trip I have configured it this way.
I have a seating pad and cutting Matt on the bottom
At the back I have a folding chair
On the right side I have my extra tarp
On the left side I have my cook set with a tank of fuel and stove inside it
In the centre is another cutting board, fire starter, fill valve ( which allows me to refill the isobutane cylinder with cheaper butane containers)
Camp wok
Landing pad for my drone
Drone
Extra isobutane canister
GSI cook utensil kit with sea to summit wash basin inside it
Drone charger as I have a power socket in the top box
There’s still space for other items

Attachments

Top Bottom