Top cylinder slightly leaking

Anyone experience that? Have some slight leakage. Do you people think it save to ride for another 10k or 20k km? Was thinking not to get it fix till I am doing a valve clearance.

Leakage of what? Coolant? oil? compressed fuel air mixture? exhaust gasses?

If it's liquid, you might bu risking hydro lock, (you can bend a connecting rod this way).
If its hot exhaust gasses, you can damage the head or top of the cylinders.
If its oil, you can stain your clothing, OH! wait... your in Singapore. Be careful, you might get oil on your flip-flop. ;-)

Why not fix it and do your valve service early?

OP
OP
Leakage of what? Coolant? oil? compressed fuel air mixture? exhaust gasses?

If it's liquid, you might bu risking hydro lock, (you can bend a connecting rod this way).
If its hot exhaust gasses, you can damage the head or top of the cylinders.
If its oil, you can stain your clothing, OH! wait... your in Singapore. Be careful, you might get oil on your flip-flop. ;-)

Why not fix it and do your valve service early?
Can't be sure what leakage is that. But probably should be engine oil . didn't want to do a valve clearance at the moment is because I'm ain't sure if there is anyone I trust able to do a good job at the moment.

OP
OP
If your leaking oil from the valve cover, that's not a big issue. Just make sure the oil stays full and ride on.
That what I thought too. The leak seems to be from the inner side of the valve cover. ie. All the way in, toward the center of the bike.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That what I thought too. The leak seems to be from the inner side of the valve cover. ie. All the way in, toward the center of the bike.
My money is on the valve cover gasket being improperly seated or having had a bit of the heat shield mat pinched in when it was last installed. Either way, it's not a high-pressure area and as long as there's oil in the pan for the pump to move up there, you're fine.

--Mark

OP
OP
My money is on the valve cover gasket being improperly seated or having had a bit of the heat shield mat pinched in when it was last installed. Either way, it's not a high-pressure area and as long as there's oil in the pan for the pump to move up there, you're fine.

--Mark

Hmm.. But the bike was only 60k km, I highly doubt that the previous owner did any valve clearance. Which mean the gasket is still factory settings.. I believe is due to wear and tear of the gasket. Anyway just slight leakage. Overall still no serious leakage. Just feel slightly oily on the cover.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Hmm.. But the bike was only 60k km, I highly doubt that the previous owner did any valve clearance.
If my back-of-the-napkin math is correct, your bike should have had its clearances checked twice by now.

I believe is due to wear and tear of the gasket.
Gaskets don't tend to spontaneously wear out, especially the ones between the head and the valve cover.

--Mark

OP
OP
If my back-of-the-napkin math is correct, your bike should have had its clearances checked twice by now.

Gaskets don't tend to spontaneously wear out, especially the ones between the head and the valve cover.

--Mark
Hmm.. Perhaps will look into the service Manuel and see what is the what may cause the leak.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
A picture is worth a thousand posts. ;)

Is this leak on the outer or inner part of the Vee? If its just a small seep that's showing up on the outside you might be able to simply torque down the three valve cover bolts a little. Use a torque wrench though as those bolts have been known to break off rather easily if not using a torque wrench...

OP
OP
A picture is worth a thousand posts. ;)

Is this leak on the outer or inner part of the Vee? If its just a small seep that's showing up on the outside you might be able to simply torque down the three valve cover bolts a little. Use a torque wrench though as those bolts have been known to break off rather easily if not using a torque wrench...
Hi there, are you referring to the 3 screws on the third picture?

Attachments

OP
OP
Yes, those are the ones...
Thanks.. Just broke one of the screw for using a over size torque wrench which apparently did not work and the screw broke.. Lucky the screw still can be removed and didn't fell inside the cylinders. Will be going to my dealer and get then bolt..

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Try "oil galley plug."

If I remember correctly, the solution is to remove the plug and apply some Hondabond when you replace it.

--Mark

OP
OP
Try "oil galley plug."

If I remember correctly, the solution is to remove the plug and apply some Hondabond when you replace it.

--Mark
Thanks dude.. I doubt it's is the oil gallery plug. Because it on the top internal gasket.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The leak is from internal vee..
Thanks dude.. I doubt it's is the oil gallery plug. Because it on the top internal gasket.
Sounds like your leak is at the inboard side of the head cover gasket. Is that correct? If it is, there are four things that could have caused it:

• Gasket improperly installed.
  • Rubber heat mat (or other foreign matter) pinched between the top of the head and the gasket. Lots of us have done this, myself included.
  • Somebody applied sealer to the entire gasket and left gaps. The only parts of the gasket that require that are the two semicircular parts you see in the picture.
  • Spontaneous gasket failure. Very, very unlikely.

As I said earlier, these gaskets aren't wear items and one set will last the life of the bike if not abused when removed or installed.

--Mark

Top Bottom