topped off coolant jug, ran out on floor....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When you say topped off….did you fill it above the full line?
Did you top it off at operating temperature or cold?
Did you check to see if your overflow tank was cracked or damaged?
Are you describing leak(s) in one or more hoses?
Or do you simply not know where the coolant dissapeared too?
Pictures?

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
You should only top off your overflow reservoir when the engine is at operating temperature. The coolant level rises going from cold to hot. There is a "full" line also, to allow for that fluid expansion.
Did you fill it up to the top when cold? If you did, just clean up the mess and keep riding. You may want to suck out a little tiny bit more antifreeze so it won't spill anymore.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If it was completely empty, the header in that area could have melted a pin hole in the plastic.

Bike
2007 ST1300
If that hose is cracked or damaged, it is a fairly lengthy repair IIRC. It involves removing the tank and air-box to gain access to the necessary proper routing.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If it was completely empty, the header in that area could have melted a pin hole in the plastic.
This is a very common thing to find, as Mellow pointed out, I'd check the coolant tank for damage before looking further, then check the coolant hoses in the Vee area.
Even if you don't think you have a leak, look at the engine on the right side of the bike, in front of the oil inspection window. I'm guessing your gonna find a green stain, or mess, and discover leak(s) that you didn't know you had.
These bikes don't "leak" fluid on the ground, it runs down the engine and steams itself off, not leaving anything on the ground.

OP
OP
Baird44
Does it say Dumb Ass my forehead??

ok, finally got around to pulling the LH tupperware, kind of a bitch for this aching old man without a lift.... getting up and down off
the floor isn't fun anymore. Well look at that!! Coolant jug is 7/8 full!!

I'm thinking next time I'll use a FLASHLIGHT when checking.... didn't really want the practice of pulling the plastic but the bright side is.....
it's fixed!! but not my pride....
if we can't laugh at ourselves we can't laugh at others....
- Mike

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles

ok, finally got around to pulling the LH tupperware, kind of a bitch for this aching old man without a lift.... getting up and down off

I'm thinking next time I'll use a FLASHLIGHT when checking.... didn't really want the practice of pulling the plastic but the bright side is.....
- Mike
Did you see the markings on the side that show the desired level?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Or touch the bottom of the overflow bottle with a flashlight

Bike
2010 ST1300
used my turkey baster to draw it down....
Aunt freeze is not good stuff to drink. Make sure you thoroughly wash that turkey baster - better yet, put it in your tool box and don't use it on food. Buy your wife another one.

BTW, said turkey baster is great for slurping up the old brake fluid from the reservoir when bleeding the brakes or clutch. Refill the reserv. with new brake fluid and start bleeding. Brake fluid is REALLY bad stuff to drink.

OP
OP
Baird44
Aunt freeze is not good stuff to drink. Make sure you thoroughly wash that turkey baster - better yet, put it in your tool box and don't use it on food. Buy your wife another one.

BTW, said turkey baster is great for slurping up the old brake fluid from the reservoir when bleeding the brakes or clutch. Refill the reserv. with new brake fluid and start bleeding. Brake fluid is REALLY bad stuff to drink.
I do have my own baster on the work bench. A little Bourbon in the brake fluid really helps.....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

- Mike
There have been worse leaks, caused by accessories and installation:rofl1:

Attachments

OP
OP
Baird44
all back together and good except.....

there are 5 of those nice little 5mm large head bolts holding on the side cowl and 1 holding the plastic tip over bar cover.
all back together BUT I have 1 left.... what am I missing?

Top Bottom