Torque value for alternator mounting bolts?

Does anyone know what the torque values are for the alternator mounting bolts? I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the SM. Thanks in advance!

Thanks JohnK. I saw that, but it doesn’t seem to be for the mounting bolts (quantity 3). I was about to go for 40 lbf-ft that’s listed in the standard torque values section of the SM beside “12 mm hex bolt and nut”, which they are, but thought I should double check.

These are the bolts I’m wondering about…
page 11-10 in my SM

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 15
When I replaced my alternator I just got the bolts good and tight, no problems after another 50,000 miles.

These are the bolts I’m wondering about…
page 11-10 in my SM

Hi there.....
If I look at your bikes year in a parts diagram from Partzilla. The only bolt that has "3" bolts is part #30 and is size 8mm x 90mm. When you said 12mm, I thought that seemed large for an alternator mounting bolt, but it must be the "head" or "socket" size.

A torque of 30-35lbs should be good as per the chart below depending on the marked bolt grade. But you should also use some medium strength Loctite to ensure the bolts don't come loose.

My manual doesn't list a torque value for those bolts for some odd reason, but the other bolts around it do?

Good Luck

The only bolt that has "3" bolts is part #30 and is size 8mm x 90mm.
I think that he is asking about the mounting screws that hold the alternator to the block, which look to be items #28 (x 2) and #29 (x 1) in your parts list. Both are listed as being 8mm flange screws. If so, I would use the standard torque listed in the general section for that type/size of screw.

Back
Top Bottom