Tour De Nevada, Arizona

slo~ride

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
Bike
18 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I finally got a chance to head out on the open road with my new BMW R1200GSA. I have got to say it is definitely the all purpose bike I have been looking for and worth the 10 year wait to purchase. I rode the bike down to Kingman AZ from Reno NV, turning on all those little dirt roads that I've always wanted to know where they went as they disappeared into the mountains. My ride from Reno that should have taken me 8 1/2 to 9 hrs took 15 hrs in all. the bike handled well in the straits and not so perfectly smooth hwy. There is a bit of vibration (not too much) that is notable but not hindering around 70+ mph and above, mostly due to being a twin and the dual sport tires. On the dirt, the bikes top heavy feeling was evident but it did perform well. I managed to get into a bit of trouble when I wound up in a wash that was heavily slanted and deeper than I wanted to get into but I have to say that once I made the determination I had to put on my big boy pants and hit the gas all came out well.
I took the GS up to the Grand Canyon North of Williams AZ and to my surprise it was free to get in that day due to National Parks Day. heck that was a nice treat saving me $25. I rode along Hwy 64 out to Cameron AZ at the Hwy 89 jct. then back to Kingman AZ Via the old rte 66. A turn to the North and about 65 miles out of town, I rode 2 miles or so into a dry lakebed and enjoyed the quietness and surrounding mountains.
Yesterday was a trip out old rte 66 to Oatman AZ. a nice old western town with lots of cool rock formations and serious twisties. I could not believe the excellent handling in the corners and the looks of the sport bikers that I passed as I whizzed past them. Several of them said they never knew a dual sport could take corners like that when we met up in Oatman. From there it was off to Lake Havasu to watch some of the plastic surgeons artwork bouncing around on their expensive boats.

Overall I have to say that although the R1200GSA is not the perfect bike for all types of riding, it does do a pretty good job at everything.
Slo~

Top Bottom