Toyo Extensa HP double darkside; new tire report

Toyo Extensa HP double darkside; new tire report. With Battlax BT46 rear on front.

Posting for reference as this new double darkside setup feels terrific.
Only have a few hundred miles on the Toyo DD, but this setup rides very well, maybe even better than the BFG g-Force.
Looks great, too.

It rubbed the swingarm juuust barely, at first, but that wore in with the first 30 miles.

With about 35psi in this rear, this setup steers very naturally; extremely good handling and very very smooth feel.
Will try to come back and update with more miles logged.

Attachments

OP
OP
Coming back to update with a few hundred more miles on.
The handling with this setup is terrific.
Sharp. Transparent. Like it was designed for this.
Much better than the Hankook, and even better than the g-Force

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I see a bunch of variations. Are you talking about the Toyo Extensa HP "II" (2)? Which load range? The wet performance reviews leave a lot to be desired. :-(

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've not gone dark yet, but 35psi seems higher than many I've seen.
Was thinking around 26-28 works well for many tires (but it's been a while since I browsed the dark side posts.)
With no experience, 28 seems low, but to reiterate... no personal experience.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'll throw out some thoughts.

You should not have let the tire rub and ride the bike. Many of us have ground or sanded down the swingarm wear the tire rubs. No need to remove a big area just wear it rubs. I've done this to two bikes. If it rubs just place some 60 grit sand paper flat on the tire right wear it rubs and move the paper-tire back and forth to sand down the swingam. You don't have to remove the tire from the bike.

The thinnest part of a car tire is at the sidewall where you let it "wore in with the first 30 miles". The thickest part of the swingarm is right where the tire rubbed because of the casting "draft angle". Sand the swingarm not the tire.

Bike
05 ST1300
I’m on my 3rd Pirelli P series, started off with a P6. And I have a good .25” to the swing arm. One of the reasons I stay with this tire. Run it at 28psi.

My question to you that run a rear on the front, which tire are you using? I ran a bias ply that was for the rear of a smaller Yamaha, and didn’t like it. It would pick up stones and roll them between the fender, ended up cracking my fender. But the worst was it would start to wash out on aggressive twisty riding, so I only ran it for a while and then took it off. And in the rain it was atrocious.

And X2 re what WOQNX says re sanding the swing arm, even tho I never had to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom