Trailer Ideas

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Have you considered pushing the box rearward (so the crossbar is under the box)?

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Am easier way would be to lay a board, ripped to the 6.5", down the middle. Centered front and rear, will give the correct cut angles at the front. Easy.
I'm stripping everything off anyway, bolts are rusty, lights are broken, I think there is a slight bend in one rail (twist), but I have access to a press that I can fix that with, but that is a good idea, thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This will shorten the tongue a bit, by eye I'd guess no more than 5", and that isn't a bad thing using the TLAR method.
Be careful of shortening it to much. A trailer with a tongue that is it to short does not pull well. I have no idea what length is to short in such an application, I just know that it can be a problem, so something to consider.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Be careful of shortening it to much. A trailer with a tongue that is it to short does not pull well. I have no idea what length is to short in such an application, I just know that it can be a problem, so something to consider.
Its only a problem IF you are reversing with it. Short trailers are brutal because they react very quickly to steering input and you jackknife them really easy. The real issue is tongue weight. We have very short welding and mobile pump unit trailers at work. They tow perfectly, but that is because the tongue weights are static and designed into them. The guys will drop them and turn them by hand rather than backing them up. Short tongue also is very sensitive to loading, its easy to load them incorrectly. Lastly, this is a boat trailer that is being modified. Boat trailers have the axle fairly far back because boats, generally trailerable boats, have most of the weight at the transom, so the wheels are far back to keep the tongue weight up. I've built a few trailers from scratch and there is no hard fast rule except keep the tongue weight right around 10% of the loaded trailer weight.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I'm going to make a tongue "tube" that will extend forward of where the side rails come together. I will weigh the whole thing once it's finished and make sure of tongue weight

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The general rule is that the trailer tongue’s length should be twice the distance between the wheels, so the force from acceleration and braking will be distributed along with a slender triangle. This arrangement reduces the tendency of the trailer to turn from one side to the other.

If I recall correctly, the general rule is the axle is about 60%, 5/8 (62%), or 2/3 (66%), back from the load area front.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Its only a problem IF you are reversing with it.
You may well be right, I honestly don't know. I based this on no personal expertise as well as having no good explanation to offer as I have never had a need to research this.

In researching my own trailer purchase, I read of a few instances where trailer tongues were shortened to much and a less stable trailer was the result. This is according to the people who wrote about towing them. I also read a couple accounts, including one on this forum I think, of people who have lengthened their motorcycle trailer tongues and reported that a more stable tow was the result compared to the tongue length that came with the trailer. Again, that is according to them.

My main intent was simply to offer a heads up to anyone who might be contemplating changing their trailer tongue length, that this might be a change that is worth looking in to.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
The general rule is that the trailer tongue’s length should be twice the distance between the wheels, so the force from acceleration and braking will be distributed along with a slender triangle. This arrangement reduces the tendency of the trailer to turn from one side to the other.

If I recall correctly, the general rule is the axle is about 60%, 5/8 (62%), or 2/3 (66%), back from the load area front.
I kept thinking about this and my 8' wide trailer, no, there is not a 16' tongue.

Trailer tongues need to be at least as long as half the tow vehicles width. Most cars and SUVs' range between 5' to 6 1/2' so the minimum length of tongue needs to be half of this plus a little bit more (say 8-12") to gain a margin of clearance when turning and to add stability to the trailer.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You may well be right, I honestly don't know. I based this on no personal expertise as well as having no good explanation to offer as I have never had a need to research this.

In researching my own trailer purchase, I read of a few instances where trailer tongues were shortened to much and a less stable trailer was the result. This is according to the people who wrote about towing them. I also read a couple accounts, including one on this forum I think, of people who have lengthened their motorcycle trailer tongues and reported that a more stable tow was the result compared to the tongue length that came with the trailer. Again, that is according to them.

My main intent was simply to offer a heads up to anyone who might be contemplating changing their trailer tongue length, that this might be a change that is worth looking in to.
I've heard longer tongues are better.....

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

As I said, shortening the tongue will make the trailer more sensitive to loading, and direction when backing up. The "stability" is likely due to the fact that shortening the tongue also changes the arc of the trailer vertically responding to bumps, change of direction, etc. The longer tongue, longer arc, damps this considerably. From a practical standpoint, no one will build a trailer that has a really short tongue simply because it won't clear the tow vehicle when turning. With an MC, that is less of an issue, as the width is less however I suppose someone might do that inadvertently.

A long trailer, with the wheels biased towards the rear will tow, reverse, and handle way better than a short one. However there is a pretty wide margin of what will work and work well. Based on the pics I've seen shortening RichKat's trailer 6" or even 12" wouldn't be noticeable provided its loaded appropriately.

RichKat, looking down stream and early on ... when it comes time to fasten the box to the frame I would suggest that you take a look at "flush deck cleats" for boats.
They are super strong / come with water tight gaskets / wont rust / and obviously lay flush. But a strong attribute is that you can use them to tie down load items (or partitions) inside the box. Say ,for example, you go camping and want to carry a 5 gallon water jug or several other objects ... you do not want them sliding around during corners or emergency stops. There are a ton of choices available.
1666709597310.png1666709789009.png

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
RichKat, looking down stream and early on ... when it comes time to fasten the box to the frame I would suggest that you take a look at "flush deck cleats" for boats.
They are super strong / come with water tight gaskets / wont rust / and obviously lay flush. But a strong attribute is that you can use them to tie down load items (or partitions) inside the box. Say ,for example, you go camping and want to carry a 5 gallon water jug or several other objects ... you do not want them sliding around during corners or emergency stops. There are a ton of choices available.
1666709597310.png1666709789009.png
Very good idea, thanks

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I kept thinking about this and my 8' wide trailer, no, there is not a 16' tongue.
I think the tongue length was measured from the center line of the axle.

But, after thinking about the comment, it doesn't take into account the length of the trailer.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
'Spose the semi driver gave the rider a nod of respect?? That's one of the gutsiest rigs I've ever seen!

There was a guy that raced flat track, towed his race bike on a trailer behind his 'Wing.

Top Bottom