Trailer length

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
So, things are progressing on a planned trip south from the Portland Or. area down to the SF bay area in California. I was dreading hotel costs, and then the opportunity to pick up a car top tent fell into my lap. Looking at it, if I can work out a trailer for it, it would suit my needs perfectly. I could stop at rest stops or beaches along the way and two minutes later be warm and dry.
The issue is the length of this thing.
It comes in at 7 feet all by itself.
Add a trailer tongue and I'm looking at 9-10 feet...
Too long for a bike trailer? Height wise it would be very low; maybe 24 inches high total?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
For design purposes, length is irrelevant, for practical purposes length only affects how tight you can turn. Axle placement will dictate the tongue weight, longer trailers are less sensitive to loading, they tow and ride better and are much easier to reverse with. Sound like a small PWC/boat trailer would be a good frame to start with, or Harbor Freight offers a cheap trailer that can be cut up, extended, etc.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just DON'T make the tongue too short. A longer tongue is better. The rule of thumb is that the tongue is double the width of the axle at the shortest. 3 times the length is better. You do want roughly 60% of the total weight in front of the axle.

I've known personally a Gold Wing rider that was known for pulling a kayak on a trailer with his bike, much longer than 7 ft not counting the tongue. I've seen some really long popup campers made for pulling with a bike.

edit: campers I have pulled with my bikes...
Niehaus trip 2004 014.jpg100_3087.JPG

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
My trailer is about 7' 6". I'd think the issues would be more the tongue weight and the length of the draw bar if too short.

IMG_3694.PNG
Oh that is just sexy right there....!! How much horse power does it add..?? Looks like it is doin 60 sitting still.
T

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had a unigo for a while and that was tough to back up because it had a very short tongue and you couldn't see it so had to make very small adjustments or just plan your parking better.

Top Bottom