Trailer No. 4

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So are you amassing a collection or were these shots of ones you owned in the past as well as the current one?

I especially like the white tube under the first photo of the classic LT. Over here you see these under camper trailers to store the flexible drain pipe for the toilet. If you tell me there's a toilet in there I will say it's more than a luxury tourer!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Very cool pics! Thanks for sharing. Looking at them prompts some questions though. I have never pulled a trailer with a motorcycle, but I have many, many miles towing enclosed and dump trailers in my former life, mostly in the 2-6ton range. How does the trailer affect the handling and braking of the motorcycle? I have had trailers without brakes (small, under 3K) push my tow vehicle through intersections on wet roads, trying to stop. I've also almost lost control of some non-braked trailers panic braking while in a corner.

I assume these small motorcycle trailers are non-braked? This post is not intended to be critical, or inflammatory, I'm just inquiring as to the dynamic effects of a trailer on motorcycle handling, and what, if anything, is changed in the way you ride to compensate for it.

RT

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
I assume these small motorcycle trailers are non-braked? This post is not intended to be critical, or inflammatory, I'm just inquiring as to the dynamic effects of a trailer on motorcycle handling, and what, if anything, is changed in the way you ride to compensate for it.
With the trailer attached to a solo motorcycle there is very little change to either the feel or method of riding. Compared to a fully laden solo two up and with a tent strapped to the topbox it is a vast improvement. No top heavy feel. Braking wise, no real change to a fully laden solo. However, when riding with the trailer (only when I need camping gear) I have virtually nothing in the topbox or panniers (side-cases), everything goes in the trailer.

029  1024x768.JPG

With the trailer attached to my outfit I have to accept a slight, and I mean slight, reduction in braking ability (the sidecar is braked). The other thing with my outfit is that because it leans I have to have the trailer behind the bike, not centralised to the full with of the outfit. With a fully laden trailer when banking left downhill I do get a sensation of the trailer wanting to push the bike upright, but this is easily compensated for once expected.

2002 07 01 - c. Pan European Rally, Suhl, Germany.jpg

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
With a fully laden trailer when banking left downhill I do get a sensation of the trailer wanting to push the bike upright, but this is easily compensated for once expected.

If you are feeling that force, then the trailer is imparting a load, pushing, pretty much as I would expect it to. Taken to an extreme, the trailer is going to "push" hard enough to exceed the traction limits of the rear tire, and cause a jackknife. I've had that happen in winter conditions, and very nearly lost it all. Again, not an indictment of the practice, we accept the risks of the activities we pursue. Just trying to understand the risk. I'm guessing slowing down and using an abundance of caution goes a long way to keeping things under control.

RT

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
With a fully laden trailer when banking left downhill I do get a sensation of the trailer wanting to push the bike upright, but this is easily compensated for once expected.

If you are feeling that force, then the trailer is imparting a load, pushing, pretty much as I would expect it to. Taken to an extreme, the trailer is going to "push" hard enough to exceed the traction limits of the rear tire, and cause a jackknife. I've had that happen in winter conditions, and very nearly lost it all. Again, not an indictment of the practice, we accept the risks of the activities we pursue. Just trying to understand the risk. I'm guessing slowing down and using an abundance of caution goes a long way to keeping things under control.

RT
Remember, that only occurs when I'm using the outfit. Not when using a solo!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Since we're posting trailer pics here's the one I bought for $68. The man was asking $75, but that was all I had in my pocket.

I have had the wheel bearings cleaned and repacked, and the tires replaced with the best ones I could find that fit the rims.

I still need to straighten out the lighting wiring, and wire the bike to accommodate it, but I have towed it a couple of times.

While riding with it, I noticed the weight more when accelerating than braking, but I haven't pulled it enough to ignore it.

It seems the tendency would be to be pushed upright when braking while leaned over, counter-steering to compensate.

IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0126.JPG

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would have been all over that trailer, too, at that price!
Now that I actually have a bike plenty strong enough to tow a trailer, I've been looking. What I want can be found for $2500 -- and UP.
Yeah, this will take a while... certainly convenient, and desirable, but not a high priority.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
So are you amassing a collection or were these shots of ones you owned in the past as well as the current one?
I now have only the Classic MT. The Elite Camper replaced the Classic LT as MrsW insisted on a bit more comfort when camping. The Elite was based on a 4' x 3' trailer, when when opened it had a 6' x 4' mattress. With the annex, it was quite comfy.

Infortunately, when I towed the Elite with the CB1300, I found the Elite too heavy, so replaced the CB with the ST - perhaps that should read fortunately.

View media item 18
1471900_10151999771477278_1609043513_n.jpg

The Classic UL was to take Jedi-the-Wonder-Dog on motorcycle camping trips sans MrsW (every cloud has a silver lining), Sadly, Jedi went to another better home, so did the trailer.

20156124_10155428229527278_2324243718610421570_n.jpg

I especially like the white tube under the first photo of the classic LT. Over here you see these under camper trailers to store the flexible drain pipe for the toilet. If you tell me there's a toilet in there I will say it's more than a luxury tourer!
The white PVC tube contained tent poles, ropes, somes tools, and often coupla bottles of red.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
... I assume these small motorcycle trailers are non-braked? This post is not intended to be critical, or inflammatory, I'm just inquiring as to the dynamic effects of a trailer on motorcycle handling, and what, if anything, is changed in the way you ride to compensate for it.
The Classic LT was not braked. Overall it was okay, but I remember on trip with the CB1300 around 260kg, trailer 90kg, load 90kg, me 90kg, Mrs W around 60kg, tank bag and top box another 20kg - 600kg all up - on a section of the the Tantawangalo Mountain Road - narrow, twisty, steep (downhill), and wash-aways, braking into corners was not fun.

More details on that ride here: http://austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3313

Elite Camper had mechanical over-ride disc brakes.

Classic UL, no brakes.

Classic MT, hydraulic over-ride disc brakes.

If there is a choice between brakes and no brakes, I much prefer brakes.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
... What I want can be found for $2500 -- and UP.
Yeah, this will take a while... certainly convenient, and desirable, but not a high priority.
All previous trailers sold for purchase price or more after two to five years of ownership. Elite was AU$4K. AU$1,500 for Classic MT.

Currently, others are asking anything from AU$750 to $6K. There are some nice examples on Facebook Market Place: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/111216895569668/search/?query=classic trailers for sale

Freight might be costly though.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
If strictly a cargo trailer it would be a very simple thing to make one. Larry's rooftop type storage box are available used and cheap. Harbor Freight makes a cheap 4x4 trailer that is a great place to start. Or aluminum angle stock, bolted up like a V, harbor freight axle, and a rooftop box. $2500 is absurd.

RT

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
... apologies.
No need to apologise.

We all have a different skills and abilities, mine is getting assistance from those with good mechanical and technical skills, sometimes all that costs me me a chin wag or a beer or three, but mostly I need to pay. Whilst I don't (or didn't before retiring) earn a lot of $$, it was more than enough to pay for a service, certainly cheaper than me attempting, stuffing it up,and then paying even more to have a service delivered properly.

Top Bottom