Trailer Speed Limits

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now THAT'S an interesting setup! And one that is most worthy of going dark on the bike.
Looking closer isn't that a belt final drive? I tend to see that kind of final drive a little more now ;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I do like the mobile camper / MiniMate-style of popup tents, but that wouldn't offer a feasible ride for Kaiser. And why would I want to go moto-camping, and leave my German Shepherd at home?
As I've mentioned, I've already compromised my once-purist motorcycle dogma, having bought a Bushtec trailer and then going double-dark. (Note to self: never say never.)
A trailer doesn't alter the motorcycle feel much at all (hardly noticeable if set up correctly), but adding a hack transforms a single-track vehicle to the point it's a different handling ride altogether.
Still, I wouldn't mind riding one in a parking lot, just to see what it feels like.
And heaven forbid I go to a Can-Am or Polaris 3-wheeler or a trike conversion. Given that option or give up riding altogether, I may change my view about that.
Here's hoping I never have to make that choice.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Now THAT'S an interesting setup! And one that is most worthy of going dark on the bike.
Looking closer isn't that a belt final drive? I tend to see that kind of final drive a little more now ;)
It is nice isn’t it. But they don’t handle.

I do like the mobile camper / MiniMate-style of popup tents, but that wouldn't offer a feasible ride for Kaiser. And why would I want to go moto-camping, and leave my German Shepherd at home?
As I've mentioned, I've already compromised my once-purist motorcycle dogma, having bought a Bushtec trailer and then going double-dark. (Note to self: never say never.)
A trailer doesn't alter the motorcycle feel much at all (hardly noticeable if set up correctly), but adding a hack transforms a single-track vehicle to the point it's a different handling ride altogether.
Still, I wouldn't mind riding one in a parking lot, just to see what it feels like.
And heaven forbid I go to a Can-Am or Polaris 3-wheeler or a trike conversion. Given that option or give up riding altogether, I may change my view about that.
Here's hoping I never have to make that choice.
Technically you could have a side car and a trailer. :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I used to know a guy who aimed for 20 speeding tickets or more per week in a small town on a main highway.
Small towns for ya. I used to know a guy who averaged 15 a day. 20 on a good day. These were for a minimum of 15+ over. Once or twice a month he'd get some one for 70 in a 35 zone. Life in a bigger city (and not on a highway). Most were for speed there there was littering / unsafe lane change / following too close / failure to obey posted sign or signal / passing school buses while lights flashing or arm deployed etc. No there were not very slight violations but flagrant disregard. There's more. All typical Kalifornina oppression of personal freedoms. :rofl1:

IMO the system is very flawed, corrupt.
As any system may be. If only there were some way to avoid falling prey to such a system. Nope. Not possible. :rofl1: Any system can be gamed by players on either side. People are like that.

Around here I like the idea of a dedicated monitor of traffic. Motor cops everywhere – step out of line The Man comes and takes you away. I'm all for it. But that's no longer the case. It's like the old olden days – "if enough people are badly hurt or killed we'll take it under advisement".

If everybody more more mindful to "a time and place for that" it wouldn't be necessary. Because people suck there will always be room for draconian traffic enforcement.

On my only really long-ish rides the lead puppy (the 15-A-Day guy) would tell us "Casey you better watch your speed" through small towns and we did. Ya pays yer money... etc. We didn't have to pay anything more than attention.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
12 inch, rated for 617 pounds and 112 MPH.

IMG_1831.jpeg

Just because it is 12 inch does not mean that it will fit! You also have to look at the width and hight of the tire. Fenders and the trailer body can get it the way. Also, it may be to wide to fit on the trailer rim.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've never seen anyone pulling a trailer observing the speed limits (that I know of) for trailers (Including moi, though I've only towed a trailer behind a car). Use common sense and don't be foolish. Lots of things can go wrong on a bike, and adding a trailer only adds to the list. That said, I would imagine that most folks towing a trailer behind a bike ARE more careful because they know how dangerous it can be.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That said, I would imagine that most folks towing a trailer behind a bike ARE more careful because they know how dangerous it can be.
Usually, but idiots live - and drive - among us.
I'm super-super alert (as opposed to my usual super-alert) to everything around us when I'm carrying Kaiser with the bike.
I'm not one for bumper stickers, but will admit to considering sticking the "Baby On Board" decal on my trailer.
Sure don't wanna be rear-ended with my puppy back there.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Been trying to find speed ratings for trailer tire for a while now ,thanks for the info.
Trailer tire speed and load ratings are really the same as for any tire.
Here's a good source for what those are:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/understanding-speed-ratings-load-indexes-and-service-descriptions

I've never seen anyone pulling a trailer observing the speed limits (that I know of) for trailers (Including moi, though I've only towed a trailer behind a car). Use common sense and don't be foolish. Lots of things can go wrong on a bike, and adding a trailer only adds to the list. That said, I would imagine that most folks towing a trailer behind a bike ARE more careful because they know how dangerous it can be.
You haven't followed me when I'm pulling a trailer... especially with my bike. :biggrin:
I've had a trailer tire blow out on me when I was pulling the Mini Mate camper behind my car when I first picked it up. It had really cheap Walmart tires that didn't make it more than 1000 miles on the highways. They did give me a refund for all 3 tires I bought from them to replace the original Walmart tires that blew out. I had to buy 3 to replace them half way home just because I knew they would have them in stock. I then went to Northern Tool and replaced those with Load Star tires that looked like new when I sold that camper almost 7000 miles later.

How do you register a load of top soil in California?
I'm sure they'll find a way...

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Other stupid thing is they have law that says anything you tow on trailer also needs to be currently registered! So track bikes needs to be hidden inside covered trailer!
Only the trailer has to be registered.
Perhaps you haven’t been ticketed for this, but I have as have many, many racers on way to track. Saving grace is many CHP don’t know about this specific code. But those near racetracks certainly do as it’s a citation revenue goldmine!!! :eek: Also gives them probable-cause to pull you over to inspect VIN to check if bike is stolen (racers would never use stolen bikes).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-education-and-safety/educational-materials/fast-facts/reporting-vehicle-status-ffvr-1
Cal. Veh. Code § 4000 - Registration of motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole or pipe dolly, or logging dolly

(a)(1) A person shall not drive, move, or leave standing upon a highway, or in an offstreet public parking facility, any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole or pipe dolly, or logging dolly, unless it is registered and the appropriate fees have been paid under this code or registered under the permanent trailer identification program, except that an off-highway motor vehicle which displays an identification plate or device issued by the department pursuant to Section 38010 may be driven, moved, or left standing in an offstreet public parking facility without being registered or paying registration fees.
While you can do PNO - Planned non-Operation on bike, you still end up having to pay close to full-registration fees. An alternative is "Motorcycle Transportation Permit", CA DMV form #712 for $3

CVC § 38232. A special fee of three dollars ($3) shall be paid to the department for the issuance of a special transportation identification device issued pursuant to Section 38088 and shall be deposited in the Motor Vehicle Account in the Transportation Tax Fund. Such fee is in lieu of the fees provided in Section 38225.
Note: 38225 is the Off-Highway fee section, and this is an important statement because off-highway vehicles still require annual registrations, RED vs. GREEN stickers, etc.

CVC § 38088. (a) Upon payment of the fee specified in Section 38232, the department shall issue to the owner of a motorcycle, which the owner has certified as being used exclusively in racing events on a closed course, a special transportation identification device for the purpose of identifying the motorcycle while it is being transported upon a highway to and from racing events on a closed course. Such device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be the most appropriate.

(b) Such device is nonrenewable, nontransferrable, and becomes invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold or dismantled.

(c) A certificate of ownership may not be issued in conjunction with a special transportation identification device.
CVC § 38022. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4000, motorcycles issued a special transportation identification device pursuant to Section 38088 may be transported upon a highway to and from a closed course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom