Trailer wiring to ST1300 - best practices?

@NVDucati as for adding in an extra set of lights on the bike, if they are permanent then you really shouldn't require relays. Assuming they are LED (and usually are) you can simply wire them into the existing bike lights. Add a fuse if you wish but that's usually not required. My extra rear brake lights on the bike are tied in direct to the rear brake light. No relay, no fuse (other than the one for the normal brake lights.)

You'd only need relays for either a high draw addition or to isolate the circuit from the bike (which is what you want with a trailer.)
Thanks. This will not be permanently mounted. Mostly for long trips where I often ride at night to eat up slab miles or get through major metropolitan areas.
The mast is made for a baby stroller umbrella holder. I've used them for a camera mount in the past. Adjustable, sturdy and about $15.
1677768774155.png

Reactions: Obo
I wired in a trunk with all the same lights that you use for a trailer. I got a 4 channel relay module off of Amazon. Put a fuse next to battery where the ABS is located along with a relay connected to ignition source to trigger positive to relay block. Which was controlled by the OEM wiring, the block is small enough to go anywhere and is not expensive. Also requires only one hot wire to the relays. worked for a couple of years without any problems. The relay blocks come with any amount of relays in it. I did use a isolated relay for the brake lights because I am anal about not wanting a 4to 5 thousand rear ender if possible. Yes I know this is old thread, but might help someone

Reactions: Obo
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I got a 4 channel relay module off of Amazon. Put a fuse next to battery where the ABS is located along with a relay connected to ignition source to trigger positive to relay block. Which was controlled by the OEM wiring, the block is small enough to go anywhere and is not expensive. Also requires only one hot wire to the relays. worked for a couple of years without any problems. The relay blocks come with any amount of relays in it. I did use a isolated relay for the brake lights because I am anal about not wanting a 4to 5 thousand rear ender if possible.
I'm guessing you mean one of these. I bought a 4 channel one after I did my trailer setup. The plan was to either replace the current setup or use it for some other project. It's still in my electrical tickle trunk of goodies.

For those of you curious... all in one board, compact size and relays to normal open and normal closed positions. The input trigger and outputs are optically isolated which differs from a regular relay. The come in anything from 1 to 16 inputs.

1677799770237.png

Here's the 16ch. Cheaper than 16 relays and saves on wiring in a distribution feed from the battery to 16 relays!

1677800662990.png

Just make sure you get a 12v in and 12v out model. They make other inputs values that won't work (like the 5v or 24v)

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@Willsmotorcycle re-reading that I can see that "electrical tickle" could mean a shock. lol

I have a plastic toolbox full of miscellaneous electrical components (mix of new and used/salvaged from items being scrapped) that I use for various projects.

The kids always called it my tickle trunk after an old kids TV show as you never knew what you'd find inside when they wanted something.

That is the block I am talking about. They do come preloaded with smoke so you do not have to worry about that. Loaded with smoke like blinker fluid. although the smoke does not have to changed and cannot be recharged so don't let it out.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That is the block I am talking about. They do come preloaded with smoke so you do not have to worry about that. Loaded with smoke like blinker fluid. although the smoke does not have to changed and cannot be recharged so don't let it out.
Better to let out the magic smoke than let the angry pixies escape!

Top Bottom