Trailering Tie Down

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I picked up the July 2010 Roadbike and there is a coupon in it for the stand/wheel chock for $39.99, along with several other motorcycle related tools. You can also find it at http://www.harborfreight.com/roadbike.
50% off of the one I bought! Now that is one heck of a bargin! I just might have to go buy a second one for having around the shop! :hat1:

WilliGoat

Be willing to make decisions.
Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
50% off of the one I bought! Now that is one heck of a bargin! I just might have to go buy a second one for having around the shop! :hat1:
We bought ours at $60 a few months ago. I don't think I can justify getting another just to save money, but stranger things have happened. :D Although I think I can come up with a way to get a couple of those other sale items.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Tie a pair of "soft ties" to the top of the triple tree and route them under the upper fairing<above the front fender>, attach the straps to the soft ties. This is preferable to using the engine guards which are too low

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have one of the HF chocks like above. Been relegated to the wife's Buell Blast since I found a Condor chock on Craiglsist for $100. :D Pictures below of how I towed mine in our camper with HF chock. I now do it like the post above, tying to the triple clamp which is higher. I also bought a Canyon Dancer to put on just as a back up. I leave it loose, but would rather possibly damage the handle bars if bike comes loose than have it tip over on the other bike. I was always worried the bike would flip out to the side while tied to the tip over bars which are way too low, is kinda a pain also. I have since mounted things differently. I would probably try the black HF chock unless you want to spend some real money. It's kinda a cheap copy of the Condor. I need to take pics of my new setup, much better.

kieth

Autocom
wheel chock looks good but tying the bike down and pulling backwards is not kosher. We always try to pull down and forward with all straps, in this way we do not cause problems if the front straps come loose......not being critical just a small suggestion. this is why I use e track, I can position the straps anywhere I want and need them instead of being locked into a tie down in the floor that cannot be moved. Kieth

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
wheel chock looks good but tying the bike down and pulling backwards is not kosher. We always try to pull down and forward with all straps, in this way we do not cause problems if the front straps come loose......not being critical just a small suggestion. this is why I use e track, I can position the straps anywhere I want and need them instead of being locked into a tie down in the floor that cannot be moved. Kieth
In these pics the chock is not tied down. Didn't want to put holes in my floor. My new system keeps the chock from moving and won't require the rear straps. Was still able to do it without holes in floor.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Just trailered my 04 from NW FL to Vegas last month in an enclosed 5x8 Uhaul. Used the tip over bars with covers removed and the rear seat grab handles (side bags removed and wrapped/packed separately). Someone here suggested putting the bike on the side stand, then tightening the left ties until just snug, then tightening the right until upright. I found that to be a bit much tension on the straps and ended up loosening equally a bit; bike still felt solid enough I wasn't worried about it going anywhere. To keep the wheels in place on the smooth interior floor, I simply built a light wood 'cage' around each tire so it couldn't shift out from underneath, the straps prevented any after movement and the front wall prevented any fwd. Got here in great shape. Covered the windshield, etc with carpet padding as there were plenty of other items I also needed to load around/on top of the bike, which went in first, came out last. Simple enough; just wanted enclosure for the stops along the way and weather protection. Pretty nasty T-storms across west TX, was glad I wasn't dragging the STeed through those unprotected! Now I just have to put some NV miles on the gauges...

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I have towed my bike from SW La. twice. One to northern Ark., and the other to Savannah, then on to Delonaga Ga and back. I used canyon dancers on the front and the grab rails with tie downs in the back. I removed the side cases to prevent scratching. I compressed the suspension about a third of the way down and used a Harbor freight wheel chock. I put some duct tape on the chock, because it is close to the front brake disk, but didn't end up touching. She never moved or needed retightening. I heard alot about not using the handle bars, has anyone ever had or seen a failed atempt with the bars, seen one break? I quess if you over tighten enough it could fail, but thats putting a strain on suspension seals. Mine still has some give in the suspension to have a smoother ride and less stress on the forks. I guess just find what works for you and gives you peace of mind. Mean13

Top Bottom