Trip Planning - Cumberland Gap Road - VA 42 - Newcastle Area And Others

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I am planning a trip. I want to take some secondary roads in WV and VA The picture below shows the route I have in mind. Roads covered are as follows:

(My initial thought was about taking VA-42 but as I planned the trip other "secondary" roads got included.)

22. US-19
23. WV-39/55
24. WV-39
25. WV-39
26. US-220
27. Valley Ridge Rd .(Included for overnight stay at a Hampton Inn :). )
28. Rich Patch Rd.
29. Craig Creek RD (VA-621)
30. VA-42

I don't remember traveling these roads before and basically looking at the satellite images the roads look pretty good, but one never knows.

Just checking to see if anyone has been down them recently.

Thanks in advance. Any feedback is welcomed.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Larry, thanks, we have done the Back of the Dragon. I like it, wife was with me last time and she said she got tire of all the curves.

Did find it interesting that we passed through War, WV. Funny how town names sort of pop out at you when you see them for the first time, in person.

I just looked at the map to make sure I had it all right. Forgot about Yukon, WV and English, WV.

But really, I appreciate your response. Thanks. Jim

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of my favorite collection of valley roads takes in VA 42 from Abingdon all the way up to New Castle, VA. That's about 120 miles of flowing valley roads with virtually no traffic for miles on end. Every so often the road rises and tightens up in order to traverse a ridge or mountain then opens up again into the next valley. Beautiful country. I start out of Abigdon on Whites Mill Rd headed to the northeast. White's Mill turns onto Rich Valley Rd then the Old Saltville Hwy. I think it turns into 91 at Saltville for a ways up to Broadford where it begins to be called the Blue Grass Trail/VA 42. Just west of Staffordsville 42 runs along with VA 100 for a short piece. I'm on 100 just a little bit and turn east onto 730 which is the Eggleston Hwy. 730 runs along Walker's Creek up to Eggleston where it merges onto 460. As soon as 42 reappears at Newport get back on 42 and go on up to New Castle. Paint Bank is a natural lunch stop by this time and the Swinging Bridge on the west side of 311 at Paint Bank is a natural. NE on 18 takes you on up to Rich Patch. I usually leave Paint Bank on 311 heading for crossing into WV at White Sulpher Springs. I will probably ride up that way in a couple of months. I love those valley roads in VA and WV.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
dueling, thanks. I will look at the roads. We found Abingdon, VA by accident. Will stop there on the next trip. Interesting town.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 digit VA roads in the Holston, Jackson or New River valleys, I've ridden many of them. Since you mention WV-39 I have a ride loop suggestion some of which I just rode in the past week. You can't go wrong with US-219 in WV either. Just north of Marlinton, WV on US-219 is Edray Road or CR-1 to the right, what I will describe is a 35 mile ride of black ribbon asphalt (much newly paved) that will take you to US-250 at Durbin WV. Take Edray Road/CR-1 through Clover Lick and Stony Bottom communities and it will end at WV-66 where you'll turn right and proceed just over a mile to arrive at Cass. Before arriving at the train station in Cass you'll make a left onto Back Mountain Road/CR-1 which will take you all the way to US-250 at Durbin. Head east on US-250 into Virginia all the way to McDowell, VA where you will turn right onto VA-678 and head south through Williamsville and Shiloh and end up on VA-39. Head west on VA-39 back into WV and Marlinton. You could continue on WV-39 west to Nettie, WV and turn left onto WV-20 back to Princeton or continue on WV-39 to US-19 at Summersville and then US-60 west back to 16 which you can take back to Tazewell.

The loop from Edray back to Marlinton I describe is about 130 miles.

Best,
John

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Oh, if you should elect to spend a night in Marlinton, WV I can highly recommend the Old Clark Inn. Old Clark Inn - "A MON Forest Inn"
Thanks wbva_roadkill, I shall put that on my Todo list. I just settled the route yesterday as shown since the comments were basically, it's good!. But I am now and in the future, trying to find some non-standard places to stay. We have a trip out to OK planned for next month and we are going to stay at the Mena Mountain Inn for a night. Just to try it out and see.

But I will review your comments in more detail in the coming week to see if I might just change my mind.

Thanks again.

Jim

Top Bottom