Trip To New England Area this Spring/Summer

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I am planning a trip up to Western New York and almost to the Canadian border. I was wondering if I post the route, the members here could provide some feedback. Trying to stay of the interstates and much as possible.

I can post a map or the GPX file of the New England part of my trip.

Thanks.

Jim

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, up the mountains for sure. Along the coast would be longer. Are you looking for quick or scenic?

Heckfire, if I know when you're passing through VA, I might even try to meet up and ride a bit with you.

You could also time it to drop in on us at OH-STOC, or even ride a leg with us if it's in the right direction:

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Western New-York ? Don't miss the gorgeous finger lakes area.
The Watkins Glen state park is a nice place to visit and take a day off. They have a lovely campground too.

On the historic side, there is the Erie Canal that goes from the Erie Lake to the Hudson River. The construcrion of this canal greatly contributed to the economic and industrial devellopment of all the area, more than two century ago.
Before the cars and roads era, boats where used, from new-york, along hudson river and erie canal, to bring rich european tourist from new-york to niagara falls.
The lock system is still there, in Lockport.

See the Erie Canal article on wikipedia.

There is also a nice museum, in Victor, on the five native american iroquoi tribes that were living in the area, before us : the onondaga, the seneca, the cayuga, the oneida, the mohawk....

Also, @peterz lives in that area. He might help you with some advices for nice country roads, things to see, restaurants, etc.

Last edited:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I’m watching this thread. No interstate, via mountain roads and countryside. I’m planning a trip up there this year.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well, up the mountains for sure. Along the coast would be longer. Are you looking for quick or scenic?

Heckfire, if I know when you're passing through VA, I might even try to meet up and ride a bit with you.

You could also time it to drop in on us at OH-STOC, or even ride a leg with us if it's in the right direction:
I shall keep that in mind. Thanks for the invite.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
A beautiful area to ride, for sure. But New York is NOT New England. It's an exclusive snobby club, and NY was not invited.....
RT

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I’m watching this thread. No interstate, via mountain roads and countryside. I’m planning a trip up there this year.
You are not far away. I can send you a GPX file of the route we are trying to plan. No interstate (well sometimes you cannot help it to get around a spot or two) and curvy roads if possible. 300 miles a day, staying mostly in Hampton Inn hotels or similar.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
A beautiful area to ride, for sure. But New York is NOT New England. It's an exclusive snobby club, and NY was not invited.....
RT
Yes I know but a lot of the trip was in New York State. I was trying to stay away from certain areas. We have done trips to Canada and back and the first one, I can not find the route for. It had some really nice roads in Vermont and New Hampshire. Our first experience with really steep roads (could not see over the crest to the road below at all. IMG_0483.JPGDSC00832.JPG

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
OH-STOC is right about where the S in Maysville is on your map.

You'll be closer to where I live on your southbound trip.
Larry,

Interesting, OH-STOC is June 10-13 in West Portsmouth, Ohio and InZane is June 13-18th in Athens, Ohio. InZane is the annual Valkyrie Riders Curiser Club event. They are not far apart...in distance and time

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike