Triumph 800 Roadie

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
A white 800 Triumph roadie followed me home today. I test rode the bike last month and found that bike light and maneuverable with good power. It should because it weighs 250 lbs less than the ST1300 and has 94 hp with a good, flat torque band.

Should be fun in the mountains.

Let the farkling begin.

I don't know how to post pictures, but I will change my avatar.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
You know where I live... I want to be the first to see it! I know you were getting excited about it.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Congrats on the "funnest" bike I have ever ridden. I heard the white Roadie might be the second fastest, next to the black XC.:D Love mine. What farkles are in order?

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Let us know how you like it, Bob. I should have let you ride the Tiger 1050 at CalSTOC for a comparison. I'm thinking the 800 is a very nice machine.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Congratulations Bob! If it is anything like Uncle Larry's 1050 you will love it. Enjoy the new ride! :D

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Congrats Bob! I can't wait to see it. I hope you enjoy it for years.
Mike

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Congrats Bob, your new bike came up several times in conversation this week end. I can't wait to see it.

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Congrats Bob on your new toy -- couldn't wait for Christmas, Huh?:D
Went to the International Motorcycle Show in ATL this morning and kept getting drawn back to the Triumph booth. Got to sit on both Tiger 800's (roadie & XC). Loved the bike's quality look & layout and especially the 473 lb wet weight. Looked at the Triumph Adventure, Yamaha Super Tenere, and BMW, but the extra 400cc's adds another 100+ lbs for all three bikes. I think I will gravitate to something lighter as I "mature". Maybe since you got something new, you'll get out and ride a little more often.;);)
Regards,
Terry

OP
OP
BDonald

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
I now have 350 miles on the bike and can run up to 6000 rpm. AT 600 miles I can go to 7000 and every 200 miles after can go another 1000 rpm untll at 1000 miles it supposed to be broke in and then it is redlined at 10,000.

The motor is great. The torque is basically flat from 3000 to 10,000 rpm. Can ride in 6th gear and it pulls away. No vibration at all, and when the rpm gets around 5000 up the engine sound is beautiful. Somebody said that 3, 6 and 12 cylinders at high revs is beautiful music. The transmission shifts better than any bike I ever had. Like a hot knife though butter. Snick, snick, snick. Up or down. The gearing could be a little lower in first gear and a little higher in 6th. Of course I probably comparing it to the Wing which redlines at a lofty 6000 rpm.

Since it weighs around 250 lbs less that an ST1300, it is easy to push around in the garage. In the mountains and curves it is so easy to switch from left to right. Easy to fling around in other words. I probably went faster today than I ever did before on Greasy Creek Road to Tellico Plains.

Gas mileage isn't as good as I thought it would be. 45-48 mpg. Maybe when it gets broken in it will be better.

All said and done, the Tiger is a fun, fun, fun bike.

I bought the bike with the following Triumph accessories: driving lights, hand guards, engine protecting bars, heated grips, center stand. I ordered a different windshield. I need to get some panniers and a top box. I think I am going to get a Pelican top box to use around here. I don't want to think about panniers yet because I want Jesse bags and they are so expensive. I will probably get them after I think about them for a few months.

I did wire the bike for electric gear and tomorrow I will wire the bike for the gps after I get the RAM mount in town.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Congratulations on the new bike, Bob! Poor Wing will probably gather dust now.

Mr. Majestic

BobTiger.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't get your hopes up about the mileage increasing. I don't really keep track of my mileage but the few times I have checked it it has been in the 43-45 range. I don't ride it easy though. Don't worry about the high rpm at highway speed, it's made for it. No problem cruising 80+. Very very stable highway bike too, blows around very little.

Which windshield did you order? I tried the Madstad and it keeps you in an absolute air bubble, no turbulence or air what so ever. No ear plugs needed. Best screen I have ever ridden behind. Too hot for me here in Florida. However I couldn't get past the looks and the Rube Goldberg adjusting mechanism. Mine wiggled around quite a bit. I settled on the Palmer Product windshield and really like it. It doesn't keep every little bit of air off like the Madsad, but what air does get past is silky smooth

Enjoy and keep us updated.

Top Bottom