Triumph GT Announced?!?!?!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I was reading one of the reviews more closely, and I think I know where at least 20lbs (if not more) of the weight comes from. The GT comes with a centerstand. IIRC, the centerstand was an accessory for the ST.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I was reading one of the reviews more closely, and I think I know where at least 20lbs (if not more) of the weight comes from. The GT comes with a centerstand. IIRC, the centerstand was an accessory for the ST.
My 08 Sprint came with one .......stock? dunno; but didn't pay any extra.

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
Bummed. :( Just saw the first serious downside (for me) on the new GT:

From Triumphrat.net ( http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/155647-first-impressions-2011-triumph-sprint-gt.html )

"1. The seat is too wide. I am five feet nine with inseam of around thirty one inches and when you make a stop my heels were barely for the ground because the seat is too wide."

I have a 30" inseam.

One of the things I found extremely irritating about the ST1100 was that when I put on a Russell Day-Long saddle, I could no longer flat foot the bike if I stopped on an uneven surface. At a stop on normal, flat pavement, I could just flat foot it if I scooted up toward the tank a bit and especially if I had some weight in the panniers. With the stock saddle I could flat foot it with no problem. Here's a pic I sent to Russell in the hope that they would tell me they could shave the saddle down and STILL retain the comfort (they said they probably couldn't and retain the comfort). The picture was taken in my driveway which is uneven due to soil movement:

I would NOT want to pay $13k+ for a bike that I could not flat foot. The Day-Long made for a VERY comfortable, all day ride on the interstate but when loaded up, I almost dreaded having to come to a stop from being paranoid about stopping at an uneven road surface and dropping the bike.

As soon as I can, I'm going to have a sit on a GT. I sat on one the other day but it was on the center stand. Here's hoping that this guy on Triumphrat.net is exaggerating.
If I could get both of my feet that close to the ground on my ST or any of the other bikes I like.. this would make me very happy

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Trying to figure out alternator output

I asked the local Triumph dealer about it the other day. He had no clue but said he would try to find out and email me. Haven't heard from him since I talked to him Saturday.

I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing an alternator on this bike with the kind of output the ST11/13 has, but I did read somewhere that Triumph had upped the output a bit over the Sprint ST. I'd sure like to see some data on it.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Spent about a half hour on a GT yesterday. Didn't have an opportunity to ride it in twisties, but here are my observations:

- fit and finish - quite high. About on par with most new bikes although the switch gear and levers seem a bit "cheap" compared to the ST.
- engine - good power and torque. Pulls strongly from about 2500 rpm to the redline with very little peaks and valleys. Pleasant exhaust note. Seems to put a "hum" through the bars and seat. Not a buzz, but not dead smooth either. My hands were tingling a bit when I got off. This could probably be solved with different grips.
- gear box - smooth and light. No complaints. Interesting to note that, even though it is a six speed, the RPM at 75mph is virtually identical to the ST (4000rpm).
- suspension - rode well under the conditions I rode it in. Soaked up bumps good and stayed planted. Didn't try doing any adjusting.
- Brakes - very good. The lever has very little travel but the rate of braking is directly proportional to the force exerted on the lever even though it moves very little. I really liked them but my friend found it a bit disconcerting (he is used to the relatively spongy BMW brake lever). Hard braking from 100mph resulted in straight and stable stops. When the ABS kicked in it was very subtle and did not matter if the rear wheel was off the ground or not.
- wind protection - you are as eposed as on most sport bikes.
- riding position - about on par with the "old" VFR. Certainly more forward lean than an ST but not as aggressive as a sport bike.
- Instrumentation - good although I found that I was getting quite a bit of glare off the speedo for some reason. Tach was OK and since their orientation was the same, I was a bit puzzled by this.
- saddle bags - large enough to hold a full face helmet. The attachment seemed a bit "iffy" as it is only locked in at the top. The bottom is not attached to the bike.
- Price - it is priced at 14k here in Canada with ABS, bags, centerstand. This is 5K less than a FJR or ST.

Conclusion: If I was in the market for a Sport tourer I would give it serious consideration.

Rod

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The bags are only attached at the top because they are made to swing back and forth at the bottom. Seemed a little strange until it suddenly struck me as a great dynamic design detail. I believe the top box is also dynamically attached. I have a 29" inseam and would probably consider the lower seat option. I sat on a 2010 Connie and and i had to toe that about the same amount. It was raining today so I didn't take it for a spin.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Just got off the phone with the dealership.... Seems the electrical output at 6,000RPM is 38 amps/424 watts. Sales guy told me it was a similar output to the 800GS. He doesn't think the bike could handle 2 up heated gear, definitely not in town, maybe on the highways. I don't know much about electrical, but I know I want some additional lighting and the ability to run a heated vest for 2 people and heated gloves for me. Plus a J&M CB2003 + GPS or similar. What do you guys think?

If he's correct with his info, 38 amps isn't too bad. Could be better but I'm surprised it's that high. Thanks for getting this info as I've been unable to get it from our local dealer or find it on the internet.

The ST1100 (96 to '02) had just a bit stonger alternator at 40 amps and I did just fine with it but then I never did two up with heated gear. I rode plenty of times with heated gear (vest, gloves & socks) while the CB and lights were on. There were even a few times when I had all this going on and had the PIAA 1200's lit up but I kept a REAL close watch on the voltmeter. Can't imagine that 2 amps less would cause a problem as long as you have a voltmeter and keep it monitored.

The heated gear (especially Gerbings) pull a lot of electrons. I'm not sure that my ST1100's alternator wouldn't have been straining with two sets of heated clothing.

Bike
99 ST1100
This may have been resolved already but it's not an 8.2 gallon fuel tank - it's saddle bags with a capacity of 8.2 gallons. The gas tank is 5.3 gallons.

The 1,050cc version of Triumph's Sprint ST sports tourer was introduced in 2005, and this new Sprint GT model adds more touring-oriented features including:

•A sharper looking, redesigned fairing
•8.2 gallon saddlebags•Standard ABS
•A 12 volt power supply
•An available top box capable of storing two full-face helmets
•An updated, 130 horsepower 1,050cc triple engine that offers more torque, power, and usability
The 2011 Triumph Sprint GT will be priced at $13,199, and will hit US dealerships in the fall of 2010.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
This may have been resolved already but it's not an 8.2 gallon fuel tank - it's saddle bags with a capacity of 8.2 gallons. The gas tank is 5.3 gallons.

Yeah, I saw one in the flesh at my dealer and LOVED the size of those panniers.

5.3 gallons is just a tad under the capacity that my VFR had (5.5 gals) The Sprint supposedly gets better mileage, even with the bigger engine. I always got over 200 miles with a full tank on my VFR before the reserve light would come on. Can't remember exactly but I seem to remember it coming on at around 215+- miles or so. My average mileage was 43 mpg. A 5.3 gallon tank should be OK except in certain places out west (especially at night on the weekends). If I were heading across certain parts of Nevada at night I'd carry a spare can of gas!

The GT's small tank is the price that has to be paid for a smaller, lighter weight sport-tourer (relative to the ST, FJR, C14, etc). It's a price I'm ready to pay after years of fighting the weight of my porky ST! If my %$*&^ shoulder would ever heal up from all the medical maulings it's taken over the last year, I'd be seriously shopping for a GT right now!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good comparison.

That particular Suz model is not imported to the states tho.
It is now (at dealers next month) - they've dropped the GSF1250 Bandit in 2011. The GSX1250FA (another way to say Katana?) has standard ABS, 567 lb curb wt (claimed) and 5 gal gas tank. $11,599, hard bags & trunk optional.

I'm intrigued by this one as well as the Sprint GT ...

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Here's a recall on the Sprint GT (& ST) that was just issued in Australia on Dec 16th:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/998423

"What are the defects?

It has been discovered that the dip stick is too long and therefore does not accurately show the correct oil level. The correct oil capacity has been added to each affected bike by the factory, but any dealer or customer checking the oil level using the dip stick will believe the engine had been incorrectly overfilled with oil.

The dealer or customer would then drain oil from the engine to agree with the dip stick.

Draining the oil will result in the engine operating below required oil levels

What are the hazards?

If left untreated, the engine may seize as a result of the oil level falling below the minimum required to safely operate the engine. This may result in damage to the engine and it’s components. "

Unreal. Don't remember the details but I seem to remember the VFR1200 having a different problem on a few bikes right out of the chute that had similar consequences. This one on the GT seems really bone-headed though.

Surely this isn't just restricted to GT's exported to Australia? This would sure keep me from purchasing one until this gets sorted out.

It will be interesting to see the how the discussion evolves on the Triumph Forum. Here's the link to the thread if you wish to follow it:

http://www.triumphrat.net:80/sprint-forum/160957-new-sprint-st-gt-recall.html

STOC #
It's strange that they missed this because they already have experience with a similar issue on other models. I know for the 2010 Street Triple and Daytona 675 they increased the recommended amount of oil by a little over 1/2 qt. and shortened the dipsticks but didn't change any of the specs in the owners or service manuals leading to many pages of questions and discussion on the Triumph boards and big headaches for dealers. This was due to "extreme acceleration and chassis attitude" ...(fast bike that wheelies at will with the oil pickup at the front of the sump ala the CBR900RR)) but was not treated as a recall rather if you have an older bike you can visit a dealer and they will supply you with the shorter dipstick if you choose. I checked a '11 owners manual and the proper oil volume to show full on the new stick is still not correct ?

I am so impressed with all of the modern Triumph Triples that I recommend at least a test ride, it is a unique blend of super flat torque curve with a hooligan top end rush.

Edit: I just read the WebBikeWorld.com review posted earlier. If Triumph did the same on this bike as they have on the others in the line then the problem is the front brake pad compound...it in a word SUCKS. The stock pads are "soft" and vague at best with no bite or noticeable increase in braking power with added lever pressure. I was told this compound was chosen for the wet region where the bikes where designed to be safer in all weather conditions? I suspect they may do this for the same reason Ducati does and it is is a liability issue. Even with the radial MC and calipers on my R they where less than impressive.....until I changed the pads. Even just going to an aftermarket GG rated organic/Kevlar street pad keeping the rear wheel on the ground while hard braking takes a conscious effort. Hopefully as more of these bikes hit the road the same will ring true.

Top Bottom